bar ends - what's the point of the clips? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By garyh
  • 1 Post By Shadowjack

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

bar ends - what's the point of the clips?

I've just watched a Kaoko video about how to fit their throttle stabiliser and it makes it clear that you have to reconnect the clip on the end of the springy thing that's inside the handlebar. Does anyone know what this internal thing does? I never reconnected it on my last bike, and on my brand new bike when I took the bar end off I'm sure it wasn't connected. I can see it down the tube but it will take some fishing out if it's important.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:35 PM

i tried to reconnect them as well, but I think i pulled the spring thingy too much and prolly messed it up.

I'm also wondering what these are as well and what's their purpose.

Cheers!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:08 PM

Should be a weight down in there if you're talking about what I think you are.

When I did my handlebar protection, I had to remove these too and that "springy" clip fastens to the bar weight inside the handlebar grips.

If you can fish it out (with needle-nose pliers or something) and reconnect it to the clip, probably best. But then again, it likely doesn't hurt much if it's loose in there, not a lot of room for it to move around.

But me... I'm too anal to not have it well secured to the clip. I used some pliers and pressed that clip in some so it would hold tighter to the bar weight.

Hope we're talking about the same thing, Gary

gvmumbral likes this.

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Yeah we are Gary. I tried fishing it out with some needle nose pliers but it wouldn’t budge. I’m going to have to make up a tool with some cut down fishhooks or maybe two crochet hooks. As I said earlier I’m fairly sure this right side one was not connected when I took the right side bolt out (ie it had been like that from the factory)
Mike
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:27 AM

I think the inside weight has some o rings on it so it won’t move easily. The first time pulling the bar end bolt out it can easily come out of the clip hence why it might seem it wasn’t attached from the factory.
First time I did it I was more worried about the force I had to use to break through the load of locktite they had put on the threads!

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Ok Kaoko are sending me a modified bit for the throttle stabiliser. When that comes I will have a go at reconnecting the weight on a spring. If there’s some O rings down there maybe I will squirt some silicone lubricant in first. I still don’t understand why some weights to stop harmonics need springs clips and o rings. The handlebars work fine with all this stuff disconnected
Mike
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:59 AM

https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a...bar-top-bridge

Honda wouldn't spend the money to put on weights made of 8 different parts if they didn't think they were needed. Take them out and give us a report of what it feels like!
Dan P Smith likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:43 PM

Garage
I had to remove the clips when installed the Barkbusters. No issues about that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page