To check or not to check . . . - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

To check or not to check . . .

I bought an AT with 35K km on it. The guy says it was serviced more than necessary (which I believe) but he doesn't know if the valve clearances were checked at the 24K km service.

The bike is now due for a 36K km service. Should I just leave the valves until the 48K km service?

I was thinking that getting a 24K km service might be good for peace of mind, but I know it is an expensive service, so don't want to blow money for no reason.

I suppose what I am wanting to know is at 24K km, are valves almost always still in spec or is there a fair chance they need adjustment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:46 AM

All that I have read are slight adjustments on the exhausts only.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:38 AM

The risk is if the exhaust valves are tight they will continue to tighten up. At some point there will be little or no clearance and it will burn a valve. That's a MUCH more expensive shop bill than checking and adjusting the clearances. Do ya feel lucky?
DCTFAN likes this.

Everything for your Dualsport or Adventure motorcycle. www.procycle.us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:59 AM

Garage
The most likely scenario is that the exhausts become too tight, and the bike won't start.
If you're lucky, it will happen in your driveway or garage, otherwise it may strand you.
Time for a valve check.

One cool & froody dude who knows where his towel is!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:16 PM

I think if you hunt around on the forum and many forums riders will debate whether it is worth it or not. All evidence is anecdotal - you may be fine or you may need slight adjustments.
My anecdotal evidence on quite a few Hondas is - I haven't done it on any of them and they've been fine. One that I put 90,000 kilometres on it (VFR), which was a high-performance and high compression motor where it is likely to be more of an issue than our ATs.

It's an expensive service at a dealer and a fairly complex do-it-yourself job, so I've just decided it is a calculated risk to take and that I'm putting my trust in Honda engineers. I also accept that if there is a catastrophic failure it is my responsibility.

I am at 30,000 kilometres on mine and by the end of the summer will be pushing 50,000, so I guess I'll keep you updated.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." – Robert Louis Stevenson

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. It needs the 36K km service anyway so I might as well pay the extra and be sure it's done.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM

Garage
My mechanic has checked valve clearances two times and made adjustments each time.
They will check them again this month. Guess what chances are that they need adjustment, again?

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
...I'm putting my trust in Honda engineers...
Those engineers would be the ones who say the valves should be checked every 24k...
DCTFAN likes this.

Everything for your Dualsport or Adventure motorcycle. www.procycle.us
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

Garage
I dont bother either never have on any bike VFR included.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 10:43 AM

And the cheapest a safest way is to find out at what Honda shop it was serviced by the previous owner and just call there. Tell them the plate number or VIN and they will tell you everything that was done with the bike. At least that is how it works in Europe with Honda dealers, they keep all the records (type of service, date, km...).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page