Cruise Control - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Cruise Control

I have been suffering with pain in my right wrist while on long ride outs....has anybody got a cruise control option which they have found to be easy to use and safe.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:25 PM

Hi,
Use the search function and search for Kaoko, atlas, or cruise control and youíll find all the info you need. Kaoko seems to be the easiest to install and seems to work very well
mike5100 and KennyKen like this.

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:13 PM

Alternatively, the palm rest ones that are six bucks are easy, removable, and inexpensive.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:14 PM

As an ancient (77) I was able to extend my riding years by buying a 2017 Africa Twin (DCT) and fitting McCruise. Wonderful 20k highwaymiles last year, many 400+ mile days.
From Yellowknife, NWT, to Oregon/California coast, to Pensacola, FL, US Rockies etc.

DCT saves any discomfort in left wrist and fingers from clutch action. MCCruise saves my right hand and wrist from always having to hold the grip while riding. No need to keep checking your speed. Holds set speed up the grades. Not upset by DCT gear changes.

I really value the MCCruise solution. Pricey, $900 including shipping from Australia, but worth it for me. It is now cheaper ($600?) for 2019 AT with fly-by-wire throttle.

A Scottoiler saves having to crawl under the bike every evening.

Most of the time, riding with relaxed posture, with one or both hands resting lightly over the grips; often my right hand is off the bars. The AT runs straight without effort. I use knees to grip the tank for frame leverage.

Right hand is too busy with twelve buttons and switches. I count Parking brake, Up-shift, Traction control, Cruise Set, Res, On/off, Headlight hi/low/flash, Display select, Display set, Horn, Turn signals, Down-shift, and finally selector for Koso Apollo heated grips.

Garmin Montana GPS and tire pressure monitor mounted high up, near line of sight. And other comfort/convenience fittings. The Garmin mount is now braced by a small fastener through the screen. Takes the load off the bar below.

-mek-, Pegote and MildlyInterested like this.

Last edited by ghorgan; 05-11-2019 at 05:36 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:55 PM

Garage
I too have McCruise, for 20 kkm'#s now. Great product, wouldn't give away. For money savers, Rostra under 300$ , but requires much more work and skills to install. McCruise is plug and play kit.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorgan View Post
As an ancient (77) I was able to extend my riding years by buying a 2017 Africa Twin (DCT) and fitting McCruise. Wonderful 20k highwaymiles last year, many 400+ mile days.

From Yellowknife, NWT, to Oregon/California coast, to Pensacola, FL, US Rockies etc.

DCT saves any discomfort in left wrist and fingers from clutch action. MCCruise saves my right hand and wrist from always having to hold the grip while riding. No need to keep checking your speed. Holds set speed up the grades. Not upset by DCT gear changes.

I really value the MCCruise solution. Pricey, $900 including shipping from Australia, but worth it for me. It is now cheaper ($600?) for 2019 AT with fly-by-wire throttle.

A Scottoiler saves having to crawl under the bike every evening.

Most of the time, riding with relaxed posture, with one or both hands resting lightly over the grips; often my right hand is off the bars. The AT runs straight without effort. I use knees to grip the tank for frame leverage.

Right hand is too busy with twelve buttons and switches. I count Parking brake, Up-shift, Traction control, Cruise Set, Res, On/off, Headlight hi/low/flash, Display select, Display set, Horn, Turn signals, Down-shift, and finally selector for Koso Apollo heated grips.

Garmin Montana GPS and tire pressure monitor mounted high up, near line of sight. And other comfort/convenience fittings. The Garmin mount is now braced by a small fastener through the screen. Takes the load off the bar below.

This is a seriously slick setup. Do you know if the MC cruise works with manual trannies?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:36 AM

Yes, the Honda AT MCCruise kit is not specific to the DCT.

It uses a spool to connect the manual throttle setting and MCCruise servo cables to the throttle spindle cable.

The Africa Twin kit plugs into the OEM harness for speed and brake info.

This is a well engineered product with a many page installation manual. Not a trivial install but, just follow the book.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:37 AM

The electronic MCC thing is definitely the one to go for if you don't mind the expense and the insurer is OK with it. If not then then I can vouch for the Kaoko manual one (they call it a throttle stabiliser). As well as being able to take your hand off the throttle on stretches of motorway, you can control the bike with a much lighter grip. This takes some practice and you have to keep reminding yourself to do it. And of course your left hand mirrors what your right is doing, so if you are gripping the throttle tight (which is normal) then you also grip the left bar tight too. And vice versa.
One advantage that the Kaoko might have over the electronic one is that on really rough roads you can set the friction on the throttle so that the pumping of the front forks is not causing the throttle to slightly rotate which produces a hiccuppy sort of ride.
Mike
SurfsUp likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:44 PM

Tequila: Works perfectly on my 18 ATAS, but the installation is a bit more of a challenge as you have to take the air-box off to get to the proper connection for the tachometer sensor. I think it has been money well spent.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:31 PM

I’ll have to throw in another vote for the MCCruise. It is a bit pricey, but well worth it to me. Took me almost 6 hours to install, the installation material is awesome, with pictures as well as written instruction.
Works as well as the one on my Goldwing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page