Case Damage From ATAS Skid Plate - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tuono07
  • 2 Post By VFMoore

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Case Damage From ATAS Skid Plate

On the 12th and 13th I attended adventure off-road training with Bret Tkacs from PSSOR, a course I would highly recommend for those with the time to attend. Of the 14 bikes there we had one additional ATAS besides my own. At the end of the first day we noticed some oil dripping from the other one, and at lunch the 2nd day the skid-plate was pulled to see if the oil filter might be lose. Imagine everyone's surprise to see a hairline crack in the left side of the case about 2-3 mm in from the edge, and that with a visually undamaged plate. Further inspection revealed that evidently they had been an impact to the left edge the was somewhat directed laterally, and the plate had apparently "flexed" inward and upward before springing back out, and the plate had functioned like a cleaver on the rounded portion of the case and cracked it.

So, warning to all, and a request from me wondering what plates others who are using Heed Bunkers might be using, as I will be changing my skid-plate out. Freak occurrence? Maybe, but I don't wish to be number 2. Clearly a design flaw from Honda when the bash plate itself can be the instrument of damage.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:33 PM

Wow, I had planned on leaving the stock skid plate on for awhile but may change my mind now.
I'm also running the Heed bars and wonder which plate will work.
BTW The heed bars held up well this past weekend when my buddies KTM 1290 fell over and knocked my AT over!!
Cuchulainn likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:39 PM

My Heed bars also did the job when my AT fell over last week.

What caught me out was stopping on a tarmac road with a steep camber and a bit of an unseen dip where I planted my foot. I had just filled the fuel tank up and hadn't appreciated how small the lean angle has to be on a tall adventure bike full of fuel, to be very heavy indeed. As there was nobody about I lifted it back up on my own. So the lesson for me was really focus on where you pull up, be wary if the fuel tank is full. I also learned that you can pick up an AT on your own, if there is no other option.

Thank you Heed!

Last edited by RayCollington; 07-15-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

After I destroyed my upper back on Easter trying to pick mine up, I picked up an Eastbound Lift. https://www.eastbound.org/ I hate to carry the extra weight, but it does work.
RayCollington and Donut like this.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFMoore View Post
After I destroyed my upper back on Easter trying to pick mine up, I picked up an Eastbound Lift. https://www.eastbound.org/ I hate to carry the extra weight, but it does work.

That's actually pretty cool, I may have to try and rig one up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:09 AM

Having looked at this pole and ratchet strap arrangement I think some sections of plumbing pipe and a ratchet strap could form the basis of a homemade solution. It won't be as easy as I have implied but I will give it a go and see what we end up with.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

I will be interested to see pictures posted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page