2018 ATAS Fuel Pump/Tank - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 11Likes

post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasdog View Post
The last six digits of my vin are 300106.
Are you located in Canada?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:22 PM

I’m in Sandpoint Idaho. Close to Canada.
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:15 PM

I just picked my 2019 ATAS DCT on the 9th and 58 miles later the bike would not start. The dealer is replacing the fuel pump and flushing the tank.
FLRider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:54 PM

Well that’s a bummer Mine went almost 2k miles before it happened. At least they probably have fuel pumps now.
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well that's a kick in the teeth. Not sure why Honda dealers don't just flush the tanks right out of the crate now. That's the fastest I have heard of one getting clogged. Good luck on the replacement. I have put 800 miles on mine this past week with no issues on the new tank/pump.

2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:23 AM

I was about to as if this is happening to 2019 models. Guess I got my answer. This is definitely unacceptable for a rider like me who rides 50/50. Being stranded in the middle of the boonies is not a great or even good proposition. Trying to hike out 30 miles from a major road of any sort would be a PITA not to mention trying to recover the bike.

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:04 PM

Hi FLRider, would you please be willing to contact me to discuss your issue and how you handled it? The exact same incident happened to me being on the same bike and it scared me to death. It could end up in a head on collision, being on a two-lane road. Honda USA directed the dealer to scrub the inside of my tank with a steel brush and flush it. ...... ridiculous, even to the service manager. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Honda777; 10-24-2019 at 01:06 PM. Reason: adding additional info
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 09:10 PM
JKM

I have 2019 with 4000 km, purchased in Calgary, Canada. Pulled the tank just to check before I had any problems, and it had the problem as well. Flushed the tank, replaced the fuel filter, and installed the Guglatech kit. Quite a bit of the white flaking welding slag material was clogged in the pre filter, and was washed out of the tank. It was just a matter of time before a full failure. Didn't replace the fuel pump, still seems fine. I would assume you have a problem developing if it hasn't bit you yet, and spend a few hundred to deal with it at the time and place of your choosing. If Honda isn't going to step up and do a recall, this will reduce the chance of being stranded or having a wreck.
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda777 View Post
Hi FLRider, would you please be willing to contact me to discuss your issue and how you handled it? The exact same incident happened to me being on the same bike and it scared me to death. It could end up in a head on collision, being on a two-lane road. Honda USA directed the dealer to scrub the inside of my tank with a steel brush and flush it. ...... ridiculous, even to the service manager. Thank you in advance.
777, why is scrubbing it and flushing a ridiculous suggestion? From everything I have read, it seems to be the exact thing that is needed. I might use a short length of rounded chain instead of a brush though. Planning on doing this during the winter on my new ATAS. Then replace the filter and be done with this nonsense.
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:41 AM

Hi AZMtnRider, please with all the respect, how do you suggest to get into all the tight spaces, crevices, etc. thru a small hole in the gas tank with a steel brush as Honda suggests and do a thorough job? I certainly wish you good luck and hope you will never have to get into a dangerous (potentially deadly) situation due to a subpar product.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page