2018 ATAS Fuel Pump/Tank - Page 4 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 11Likes

post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:23 AM

@Honda777 I think you are missing the point. Replacing the tank and pump will not solve the problem. Removing the sludge will. I removed the sludge by sloshing around some vinegar in the tank.

The filter is not getting clogged, the filter is encased in a plastic housing that you can't get to. The prefilter screen is getting clogged before the fuel ever gets to the pump or fuel filter. Remove the sludge that is in the tank and the problem is done. Replacing the tank and pump assembly, which is what most dealers are doing, does not solve the problem. It just postpones it.

Because I do get into dangerous situations, I don't trust the dealer whom I don't know with my life. Fix it yourself and be satisfied the job is DONE right!

Tim
2018 ATAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda777 View Post
Hi AZMtnRider, please with all the respect, how do you suggest to get into all the tight spaces, crevices, etc. thru a small hole in the gas tank with a steel brush as Honda suggests and do a thorough job? I certainly wish you good luck and hope you will never have to get into a dangerous (potentially deadly) situation due to a subpar product.
777, I agree about the brush, thatís why I suggested an alternative. When I was young, BBS or ball bearings were used to clean tanks. It can be hard to remove all of them, so I suggested a short length of rounded chain.

Can you explain how a stumbling or even stalled bike will get you into a head on collision?
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:08 AM

Playinatwork, I have been looking for help and solutions to mitigate this (as it seems to) broadly spread problem, as I also do not necessary trust a dealer doing this job thoroughly. I am not a chemist and do not know what chemical solution dissolves Honda sludge. I appreciate your ideas and suggestions very much. I have one question thou, by removing the sludge with vinegar, do I also remove the rust inhibitor on the inside of the gas tank, if any is present? If yes, do I need to 'line' the inside of the tank with something to prevent the tank from rusting? Thank you in advance for your opinion. Let's get dirty and get the job done, I spent only $15k on this Honda bike and have nothing else to do anyway. Haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:24 AM

AZMtnRider, I very much appreciate your suggestions. I have been thinking about having the inside of the tank carefully sandblasted, but may try BBS or ball bearings first.
Stalled bike and not being able to finish a pass while passing 65'+ long rig on a two lane road with oncoming traffic could result in a head on collision, IMHO. I, of course, may be wrong, but wish to everyone including myself not to ever find out.
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:26 AM

The vinegar will eat away the tank liner if left to soak in there. Actually I think if you remove the initial sludge floating around and stuck to the screen the problem is solved. The vinegar gets the stuff about to flake off. Do not leave it to soak in there!!

Also you can remove the tank without removing the side fairings. Pull the rear rubber grommets loose from the fairings and the thing attached to the front of the tank off. Remove the bolts in the rear holding the tank in place. Raise the rear of the tank and put a block under it so you can disconnect the electrical and plumbing. Then pull the tank straight back.

If you've never removed the fairings before, I recommend you pull the fairings off though. You can see what you are doing and they really aren't that big a deal. Remove from the rear first working forward. Replace from the front first working rearward.

Tim
2018 ATAS
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:42 AM

playinatwork, You seem to be very experienced. I wish, I could ask you and pay you for this job. I am focused on 'activities' I believe I am good at. Cleaning a gas tank is not one of them, but I may get good at it as well, if it's required to do it on my Honda ATAS multiple times. Hey mates, good luck with yours.
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:37 PM

@Honda777 I am on my second 2018 ATAS and both of them had this problem. I also removed my tank multiple times for an auxiliary fuel tank installation. It really is a simple job and your only expense will be a gallon of vinegar and a couple hours of your time. I'd do the work for a couple of beers; come on by.

Tim
2018 ATAS
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 03:43 PM

Thank you very much for your offer 'playinatwork', I would love to come with my bike and beer, but unfortunately, I would never make it to you on my Honda ATAS in the state it's now. Sad, very sad.
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 05:23 PM

Have any of you guys installed and used the GUGLAtech fuel pump filter and have an opinion? Thank you.
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 10:06 PM
JKM

I just installed one, can't see why it wouldn't work as advertised, have half a tank of fuel through it now, and no signs of any fuel starvation at full throttle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page