2018 ATAS Fuel Pump/Tank - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2018 ATAS Fuel Pump/Tank

My 2018 ATAS with just over 7K miles experienced loss of power on the Interstate. Riding 780 mile day and the last 130 miles were in 10-15 mile increments. If I pulled over to the emergency lane, let the bike sit for a moment, maybe open the tank, it would start right up and be good for 15 miles and do it again. I took to the dealer on 29 Jun and it took them 2 1/2 weeks before they would take it out for a long 20 mile ride to recreate (they kept doing 10 milers and telling me all was fine). So when they actually did what I had originally asked they found debris in the tank (lining?) and a ruined fuel pump assembly, they sent photos to Honda USA and they agreed to send new tank and fuel pump assembly. Go foward another week and the tank has arrived but no fuel pump, when dealer called Honda they were told no new pump until at least 17 Aug. Assuming that is correct I will be without the bike for nearly 2 months.

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA (national highway traffic safety administration) since it is not safe to be riding 75 mph in the left lane and then no power. I've read here and on the FB Africa Twin Group page other folks experiencing simiiar fuel issues. If you did as well then recommend filing complaint too if you live in the US. Honda told my dealer that they knew of no fuel issues when they initially called. I call BS and that is why they don't have any pumps in stock. If enough complaints are filed then Honda may have to officially address the issue.
MrRobb likes this.

2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:20 AM

Alot of different ATs had weld problwms. Honda said the welds were "within spec". It was addressed on here in a thread. If they don't care about their bike falling apart at 75 mph....I doubt they'll care about a rusty fuel tank.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I read your post. I'll check my welds if I ever get my bike back. Good luck with yours.
MrRobb likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:38 AM

Mine was ok. Here is the thread.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:42 AM

Actually, he had 2 threads . That was Honda UK though. Hopefully Honda USA will be different ?.... maybe ? Good luck.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:54 PM

Garage
Because of those threads Robb posted I checked my welds, and mine also were fine. Maybe there was a bad QA/QC person that was letting crap slide through.
MrRobb likes this.

18 AT AS
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
My 2018 ATAS with just over 7K miles experienced loss of power on the Interstate. Riding 780 mile day and the last 130 miles were in 10-15 mile increments. If I pulled over to the emergency lane, let the bike sit for a moment, maybe open the tank, it would start right up and be good for 15 miles and do it again. I took to the dealer on 29 Jun and it took them 2 1/2 weeks before they would take it out for a long 20 mile ride to recreate (they kept doing 10 milers and telling me all was fine). So when they actually did what I had originally asked they found debris in the tank (lining?) and a ruined fuel pump assembly, they sent photos to Honda USA and they agreed to send new tank and fuel pump assembly. Go foward another week and the tank has arrived but no fuel pump, when dealer called Honda they were told no new pump until at least 17 Aug. Assuming that is correct I will be without the bike for nearly 2 months.

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA (national highway traffic safety administration) since it is not safe to be riding 75 mph in the left lane and then no power. I've read here and on the FB Africa Twin Group page other folks experiencing simiiar fuel issues. If you did as well then recommend filing complaint too if you live in the US. Honda told my dealer that they knew of no fuel issues when they initially called. I call BS and that is why they don't have any pumps in stock. If enough complaints are filed then Honda may have to officially address the issue.
My 2019 ATAS has been in the shop since July 10 waiting on a fuel pump. I just sent a two page letter to Honda expressing my dissatisfaction over the whole process. Apparently a service bulletin has been issued as said by my dealer which a week before had said there is a recall. I called Honda customer service and they said no recall on the fuel pump issue. A lot of the affected bikes were given new fuel tanks but not for me. It’s a well known issue as on the adventuresports forum there are around 40 affected bikes. Honda seems to be in denial and way too slow to respond to the situation. I bought this bike because of Honda reliability. What a joke!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:34 AM

I don't know how any weld issue is related, but my 2018 ATAS had to have the pump replaced due to what appeared to be paint over-spray being softened by the fuel and plugging the filter and killing the pump. That is consistent with a number of others I have corresponded with. The shop said mother Honda told them that some of the L2 models seem to get "something" in the pump and filter. Something! Riiiiight. Took me all of 30 minutes online to find out what the "something" was. Mine runs great now.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
An update to my original post. It is now 20 Aug and the dealer is now telling me that Honda states it will be 1 Sep (vs 17 Aug) when the new pump will be available. Somehow I don't believe Honda and losing faith in them as a company.
MrRobb likes this.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
An update to my original post. It is now 20 Aug and the dealer is now telling me that Honda states it will be 1 Sep (vs 17 Aug) when the new pump will be available. Somehow I don't believe Honda and losing faith in them as a company.
Just rebuild it. I did this on my 2012 Kawsaki Concours 14. Was not hard at all. Bike ran fine afterwards. I know of several who have KTMs 1090 and 1290s who have used Hi-flow replacement pumps with no issues. Lifetime warranty.

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-35465...0-mjp-g51.html
Petros Galiatsis likes this.

2017 CRF1000 DCT candy apple red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page