Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRandAT View Post
Have you considered a Rekluse Cutch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know there are some after market solutions about clutches but all seem to be solutions to a permanent problem.
Mine is only while my wrist heals.

Like I said in my previous post, before my wrist injury, this was not even a subject for me. I was happy with the clutch weight. But while I am healing from this injury, I want to still make use of my bike as a commuter (my normal use apart from adventure) without hampering my recovery.

I rode a GS800 for 2 days very technical offroad last year (now wrist injury) and I found the clutch was too heavy for me. I had a burning fore arm by the end of the first day and the second was agony. I would definitely use some hydraulic or other after market solution on a bike like that.

BTW,
From what I could read, the rekluse clutch seems to be a different clutch pack with more layers. Am I understand this properly?
If so, how does this exactly lighten the clutch I wonder?

Thanks for your suggestion

Why drive when you can ride!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:57 PM

Start with a clutch lever with an adjustable pivot point. If you can handle a longer pull, then it's all you should need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Had a chat with the garage from whom I bought my bike.
Explained the setup and he checked it out himself.
He tells me that there is a roller bearing between the actuator arm and the pressure plate.
Eventhough he admits and any added pressure will obviously add to wear, he feels that in the AT it will be negligable.
Also he told me that the clutch pack is only ~CHF170 and is not a headache to change out.
So when put against the wrist injury, its nothing.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Epilogue
Since my last post I have been away for an off road tour in Sardinia, Italy.
The trip took me roughly down the centre of the island with over 50% off road, some of it rather difficult. (I would not recommend doing it alone on a large bike)
My wrist was still not 100% and I used my ad hock clutch lightener throughout. But I was loosening it during the ride as my wrist got stronger (the exercise actually accelerated my recovery ;-)

Even though the wrist is still injured and I am not at 100% recovery, I can ride without pain.

Findings:
The clutch is fine after the tour. Occasionally, during riding days, I would feel the clutch case to see if it was overly hot. There was not much more I could do to monitor the situation.
I spoke to my mechanic before the tour about the issue that were brought up by @ProCycle , his opinion is that this part is nothing to worry about. It will outlive the clutch even with this mod, and can be inspected each time the clutch is replaced.
The more I use this mod (the more intrusive I set it) the shorter the life of the clutch will be, resulting in more regular inspections of the release bearing.
He told me a new clutch is only about €100 and pretty easy to replace, so save your wrist and don't worry about the clutch wear.

Conclusion:
For a mod that is none destructive (no permanent parts of the bike have to permanently modified to install this mod); is easy to install and de-install on the road side; is adjustable to quite a fine degree (counting the number of lock nut turns); and very compact and quite light to carry along on a tour, it is a no brainer for anyone that has troubles with the left wrist and the clutch.
Off road riding requires a LOT more work with the clutch hand. On a tough off road days, many riders will feel the left forearm fatigue I think. This mod will definitely help to lighten the load on the wrist and allow you to enjoy the ride much more.
I can imagine that for bikes with no traction control, this mod could be used to not only lighten the clutch but to also dial in a minimum level of fixed clutch slip on really gnarly terrain. Since it is so easy to adjust, install and remove, I could image tweaking it through a riding day to suit.
Would be cool to even have some handlebar accessible adjuster where its effect could be dialed in on the fly!

Last edited by Mastercore; 11-08-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page