Shifting down - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By harleywilma
  • 1 Post By Speedo007

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Shifting down

I've noticed the last few rides and tests, that I can't shift down to 1st gear at a dead stop from 2nd or 3rd without having to pop the clutch in neutral to get passed. 2018 manual AT. Dealer says that things have to be moving? all Hondas are that way. Has anyone noticed the same thing? They also said all the AT's there are the same way. I'm skeptical. Thanks for any feed back. Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:32 AM

Garage
Huh?
On a manual? NOT. a DCT,right?
If so, they are kind right in saying that on a sequential gear system...
On the DCT it does it automatically, even when in ‘manual”. It will keep you from downshifting to quickly like trying to get it to first gear while you’re doing 80mph. After that I'm’ not really sure, I’ve never tried to put mine in “manual” and see if I can do a 2nd or 3rd gear launch.
But a sequential gear box should always move freely between a gear at any time. Basically when you move the (foot) gear lever it turns a cylinder that moves a shift fork that slides a gear, but with that said yes it does take any kind of movement to actually engage the gears ( for the dog clutch to mesh ). This is why IF you are sitting still ( or have the engine off) and run through the gears you won’t feel the “click” in each selection but the gear shot drum will be in the right orientation for the gear selected. Any motion by either moving the bike or disengaging the clutch (while running, of course) will mesh the dogs. Now, you can only move one set of gears at a time, so you technically can’t just skip from say 6th to 1st with out going through 5th,4th,3rd,2nd,N. This is why, say you shut the bike off in 6th gear, you would have to rock (push the bike back-n-forth) a bit to get it back into N or any other gear for that matter. But! There are time that the dogs do align and they will go from one gear to the next with out movement, you can even get a few of them that are inline with each other and just click through the gears..

I hope my explanation kinda helps you..

“If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.” A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 09-08-2019 at 07:35 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownetheclown View Post
I've noticed the last few rides and tests, that I can't shift down to 1st gear at a dead stop from 2nd or 3rd without having to pop the clutch in neutral to get passed. 2018 manual AT. Dealer says that things have to be moving? all Hondas are that way. Has anyone noticed the same thing? They also said all the AT's there are the same way. I'm skeptical. Thanks for any feed back. Don
Every manual motorcycle I've ever owned has been that way. It can be frustrating if you need to stop abruptly and didn't downshift from 3, 4..... But when slowing or stopping, I always try to remember to downshift to avoid this. I have been able to get the bike moving again in a higher gear, but definitely try to avoid it.

Think about a bicycle. It needs to be moving for things to work properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. You would think if you shift down 4-5 times real fast from like 2nd or 3rd, you would be in 1st. Not the case Now I guess. Haven't had this issue on any other bikes that I've ridin. Oh. Yes on manual not DCT.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownetheclown View Post
Thanks for the feedback. You would think if you shift down 4-5 times real fast from like 2nd or 3rd, you would be in 1st. Not the case Now I guess. Haven't had this issue on any other bikes that I've ridin. Oh. Yes on manual not DCT.
Little blip on the throttle coming down inbetween each shift of the gears will help..
superfunkomatic likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:44 PM

Not the case with my 17 AT. I can come to a complete stop in 3rd and down shift as needed.
Have you changed oil? On my Aprilia it can be hard to find first at a stop but using Mobil 1 synthetic its much easier
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:33 PM

I took my bike out to see how mine behaved when stopped and in 3 rd gear , trying to shift into first. I had to slightly let out the clutch just so it pulls a bit on the tranny and it would shift fine as long as I did this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Oil was changed yesterday. Pick up bike Tues or Wed. See what happens then.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 AM

Its quite common and can happen on most bikes. Sometimes you just need to move the bike slightly forward and it will fall in 1st gear. I dont have that problem though as I downshift through all gears before stopping.
superfunkomatic likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page