Problems starting my DCT - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Problems starting my DCT

Ok, so here's the thing.. I have a 2017 DCT that occasionally will not start. Typically, you turn the key, thumb the starter, and all it does is click on the throttle side of the bike down by the DCT. It happens cold. It happens at normal operating temperature. It happens with the side stand up or down. It happens with the break applied or not. It happens whether the bike is turned of in neutral or not. Its entirely random, which concerns me. I bought this bike to go on extended rides. So far, I've only put 4300 miles on it because I'm worried that it will leave me caught out someday and not restart. The starter and battery are fine. If you let it set with the key off for a minute or so and then try again, it will start and run without issue. Anyone have any ideas what's going on here??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:07 AM

Garage
Was the starter button replaced as per recall action?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
Not unless it was done at the dealer before I purchased it in 2018.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
I just checked the Honda website. There doesn't appear to be a recall for the starter button for the 2017 DCT. The only thing listed is the center stand circlip - which has been replaced. But thanks for the point of interest. I'll research it some more.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmu72 View Post
I just checked the Honda website. There doesn't appear to be a recall for the starter button for the 2017 DCT. The only thing listed is the center stand circlip - which has been replaced. But thanks for the point of interest. I'll research it some more.
It's not an safety recall but it's a very well known problem of the 2016&2017 Africa Twin.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Ok, so here's the thing.. I have a 2017 DCT that occasionally will not start. Typically, you turn the key, thumb the starter, and all it does is click on the throttle side of the bike down by the DCT. It happens cold. It happens at normal operating temperature. It happens with the side stand up or down. It happens with the break applied or not. It happens whether the bike is turned of in neutral or not. Its entirely random, which concerns me. I bought this bike to go on extended rides. So far, I've only put 4300 miles on it because I'm worried that it will leave me caught out someday and not restart. The starter and battery are fine. If you let it set with the key off for a minute or so and then try again, it will start and run without issue. Anyone have any ideas what's going on here??
Sounds like a DCT issue, especially because of the clicking noise, I’m guessing it’s not showing that it’s in neutral and the ECU is trying to put it in neutral when you turn the key on, maybe a faulty neutral sensor or shift position sensor(?) or that it’s shorting out. One other thing to try when it happens is to maybe rock the bike just to make sure it is indeed in neutral. Just a thought...

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

I'm guessing that it's a sensor as well. And yes, I rocked the bike. Actually had to push it across a parking lot to get it out of the way at the gas station. Unfortunately, I didn't see any codes flashing when it happened. Hopefully I can get it into the dealer this week. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
I'm guessing that it's a sensor as well. And yes, I rocked the bike. Actually had to push it across a parking lot to get it out of the way at the gas station. Unfortunately, I didn't see any codes flashing when it happened. Hopefully I can get it into the dealer this week. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.
Im also kinda thinking.. Just maybe, a firmware glitch in the ECU(?). Im guessing the dealer just might flash the ECU. Especially since its happening so randomly..Software/firmware, the Achilles heal of all the new and more complicated electronics..
I hope the dealer has a quick easy fix for your issue...

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:26 AM

Sounds to me like the ground cable is loose on the battery or terminal end.
Username and Robert Detjen like this.

Tim
2018 ATAS
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Sometimes the most obvious problem is the one most easily overlooked. Bad cell in the battery. Holds enough juice to light everything up, not enough to start. It's the first battery I've had to replace in years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page