CRF1000L Africa Twin Transmission Options [w/Poll] - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
View Poll Results: DCT or Traditional Clutch?
DCT 36 60.00%
Traditional Clutch 24 40.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

3Likes

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mc View Post
I thought I read somewhere that you would be able to have DCT and a manual foot gear change option combined. Best of both worlds rolled into one

Interested in what DCT is all about?

Read: Honda DCT Dual Clutch Transmission Questions & Answers with Video
+1! normally I would agree with @Adventurer I don't like to jump in to new things either, but in this case I fear not and I'll tell you why. Honda is not guessing on this tranny being good for off- road use and they proved it by installing it in two different units the AT1000 and the Pioneer 1000. I'd even put my money where my mouth is and bet on RED!

2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mc View Post
I thought I read somewhere that you would be able to have DCT and a manual foot gear change option combined. Best of both worlds rolled into one
I was undecided until now. The traditional clutch will help me transition to DCT instead of learning a new system from the get go.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 08:52 AM

+1 for DCT, I have on the NC700 and absolutely LOVE it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:01 PM

I just sold my 2012 NC700X DCT ABS. When the Africa Twin is available in the USA, I'll be getting the DCT model.

As most of you already know, the DCT tranny doesn't have a torque converter or belt. It uses two computer controlled clutches and shifts faster than any human can. With two automatic modes, D (Drive) for economy and S (Sport) for -- you guessed it -- sport riding, the automatic shifting works well. The rider can override the automatic by manually shifting up or down when wanted. That means that you can downshift when needed, especially before that twisty up ahead or before heading into that steep off-road descent for engine braking, after which the transmission returns to computer control automatically. Another option is to select M (Manual) mode and use the shifters to shift manually.

Worried about riding in the friction zone with the DCT? Don't be. Ride the rear brake as you normally do and let the computer control the clutches. It's so cool you won't believe it!

I've been riding since 1967 and absolutely love the outstanding, reliable Honda DCT.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Howell View Post
I just sold my 2012 NC700X DCT ABS. When the Africa Twin is available in the USA, I'll be getting the DCT model.

As most of you already know, the DCT tranny doesn't have a torque converter or belt. It uses two computer controlled clutches and shifts faster than any human can. With two automatic modes, D (Drive) for economy and S (Sport) for -- you guessed it -- sport riding, the automatic shifting works well. The rider can override the automatic by manually shifting up or down when wanted. That means that you can downshift when needed, especially before that twisty up ahead or before heading into that steep off-road descent for engine braking, after which the transmission returns to computer control automatically. Another option is to select M (Manual) mode and use the shifters to shift manually.

Worried about riding in the friction zone with the DCT? Don't be. Ride the rear brake as you normally do and let the computer control the clutches. It's so cool you won't believe it!

I've been riding since 1967 and absolutely love the outstanding, reliable Honda DCT.

How much did you manage to get out of your NC before selling it?

I hope you got enough out of it before letting it go!

wcieslik likes this.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 02:51 AM

I sold it for $5,100.00. It was a great bike, but the Africa Twin will be even better.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 10:00 AM

First off, should we call the non-DCT a manual or clutched. I read somewhere the DCT is a manual transmission that shifts itself (seems to defy the definition of manual). Obviously, the DCT is clutched as well... twofold.

My dealer ordered the non-DCT version for their first 2018 model even after I went into the shop several times remarking that I wanted the DCT AS. I went to the boat/motorcycle show where I live and told the same dealer there that I wanted the DCT AS. But typically dealers have their excuses.... they already had 2 DCT bikes on the floor and the guy who orders the bikes isn't on the floor but up in an office somewhere with no communication to the sales team. So they set out to find one in my area only to find out that all the DCTs had been presold. Hence I'm still waiting for mine for a couple weeks. I heard somewhere that the DCT was outselling the non-DCT 3/1. ??

Last edited by Wrany72; 06-22-2018 at 10:03 AM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
I think its great that Honda continues to move forward in their technology. However, I will wait on their DCT for this style of bike until it has been completely proven to be at least equally effective to regular transmissions in offroad riding. Personally, I grew up using engine-braking to initiate turns, slow down, adjust RPM's when setting up to exit turns, etc. They are probably two different systems, but I own a 2009 Honda CRV and a 2010 FIT with CVT transmissions. I don't like the way either one works when decelerating on downhills. The transmissions seem to get confused when decelerating on a downhill or when the road is a bit slippery. I can't imagine that this would be a good thing on a motorcycle either on or off the road. However, CVT and DCT may be two completely different systems and DCT may not have ANY similar problems to what I have described. I assume both would essentially not utilize engine braking.

My wife drives a 2016 Fit with CVT, completely different transmission. The CVT doesn't have any gears at all, it has something sort of like a belt on a cone that can slide up and down the cone providing infinite gear ratios. I know hers has paddle shifters and emulates 7 speeds, but there really aren't any gears. The DCT is a completely standard 6 speed gearbox, with two clutches that can engage two different gears simultaneously, therefore having the next gear essentially queued up, it makes for very fast precise shifts.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 05:27 PM

I own too many automatic shifting vehicles, for the enjoyment of a motorcycle it will always be a manual transmission 😎👍👍👍💯
Nemesis likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 01:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert rider View Post
I own too many automatic shifting vehicles, for the enjoyment of a motorcycle it will always be a manual transmission 😎👍👍👍💯
What about the new models with throttle by wire and the quick shifter, cant wait to try one of those.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page