Pirelli Rally STR - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pirelli Rally STR

Anyone tried the Pirelli Rally STR tyres yet,and if so what do you think of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 05:15 PM

Definitely interested. Are the STR's actually available in the 150/70-18 and the 90/90-21 yet? If so, where?
These look like a great option for AT if you can get them...

Must be an ID-Ten-T error!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:23 AM

This was taken from the Pirelli website with regards to available sizes.

Sizes

SCORPIONô RALLY STR will initially be available from January 2017 in the sizes that come on the new Ducati Scrambler, but during the course of the year, the range will be expanded to include more sizes. The complete range of sizes is below:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 08:34 AM

The rear 150/70-18 is now available in OZ, the front I'm told is still a month or so away. I have fitted the STR Rear and done some 800k 50/50 so far I'm very impressed, just testing the first one out, as I will be doing an outback aussie tour of some 8~10,000 k 50/50 return from Brisbane to Phillip Island for the aussie GP in October let u know how it holds out. (hoping one tire will do the whole trip, as i did do about 4000k on a Pirelli MT90 and only used up about half of it) so I'm hoping the STR will be as good.

The Burger.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 11:11 PM

the STR has been around a while now, any recent users with updates???
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 03:54 PM

Just done the Outex tubeless conversion (no leaks&#129310 and fitted the Pirelli Rally STRís, hope to get out tomorrow if the balancing weights turn up.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 03:12 PM

Thumbs up

Spooned on a rally str front yesterday to replace oem dunlop. Took it for a 100km run, 20% gravel intentionally riding on the loose gravel in middle and edge of road to see how it tracked, not as stable as an off-road knobbie but pretty good up to 110kph. On the highway quiet and no shakes or shimmies up to 160kph, . Not much mileage to go on but so far it behaves like a street tire on the pavement and seemed pretty stable on loose gravel. If it continues like this I will put on a matching rear when my 1/2 worn Shinko 705 is done.
ps - I also did a tubeless conversion at the same time (3m tape). I will carry a tube in out of the way places just in case the bead comes off if/when I get a flat, but the side wall on the STR is fairly stiff and I had no issues seating the bead (although I used my garage compressor not my portable). Previously did the 3m tubeless conversion on rear rim, 6000km in and no issues)

Last edited by Spud; 08-15-2018 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added bit about tubeless conversion
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:38 AM

Site wouldn't let me edit old post for an update, so new post it is.
Around 3500km on front Pirelli Rally STR, about 600km in the dirt. On pavement it still feels like a street tire and off road it is pretty good, you wont mistake it for a full knobby but it is pretty stable in most situations. I havent tried it in any serious mud (and hope not too because I don't think it would end well) but on hard pack, gravel, loose gravel over hard pack, washboard, soft spots to punched out oilfield roads it has been predictable. The only pucker moment so far was a downhill switchback on loose gravel over hard pack (riding on marbles), bike stayed rubber side down so no harm no foul. I haven't calipered the tread wear but it is still in almost new condition, unless it starts scalloping it is just getting scrubbed in.

Still burning off the Shinko 705 on the rear which has been a good wearing predictable tire (around 9k km and probably still a good 3k left). It is more than adequate as a rear on gravel roads and trails. The 705 will be done after my trip to southern BC at end of July with buddies on cruisers (all pavement) at which time I will spoon a STR onto the rear and give it a whirl 'cuz I like the front.

ps: 3M tubeless conversion front and rear still holding air without issues
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Site wouldn't let me edit old post for an update, so new post it is.
Around 3500km on front Pirelli Rally STR, about 600km in the dirt. On pavement it still feels like a street tire and off road it is pretty good, you wont mistake it for a full knobby but it is pretty stable in most situations. I havent tried it in any serious mud (and hope not too because I don't think it would end well) but on hard pack, gravel, loose gravel over hard pack, washboard, soft spots to punched out oilfield roads it has been predictable. The only pucker moment so far was a downhill switchback on loose gravel over hard pack (riding on marbles), bike stayed rubber side down so no harm no foul. I haven't calipered the tread wear but it is still in almost new condition, unless it starts scalloping it is just getting scrubbed in.

Still burning off the Shinko 705 on the rear which has been a good wearing predictable tire (around 9k km and probably still a good 3k left). It is more than adequate as a rear on gravel roads and trails. The 705 will be done after my trip to southern BC at end of July with buddies on cruisers (all pavement) at which time I will spoon a STR onto the rear and give it a whirl 'cuz I like the front.

ps: 3M tubeless conversion front and rear still holding air without issues

Thanks for the update and good to hear. Having Scorpion rally STR's put on this Thursday, on the new rims that Honda gave me (and on which I have now done the 3M tape and sealant conversion too). Looking forward to getting off the paved sections a bit more with these tires, have only heard good things about them, with some saying they equal the Conti TA2/3 on the road.

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:12 AM

I had them on my Scrambler 1200XE and they are ok, but I probably wouldnt buy another set. The front wore very unevenly, the rear wore pretty fast and even new they look like they have 2000km on them. If I want a more road oriented tire I'll go to Avon for Trail Riders, when I plan on doing more dirt, Shinko 804/805 has been my tire of choice for years and have never disappointed me (and they are insanely cheap on top of providing excellent performance at pretty much everything you throw at it).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page