Alpina Wheels - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:45 AM

As PTwin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:40 AM

Alpinas

Thanks for that. I have looked at all the alternatives to taking wheels off at the roadside to fix flats, ie, slime in tube, Outex, wait for the AA, and I think it will be Alpina wheels with plug and go. If you are a tarmac rider (and in the UK I think that's most people on big dual sport bikes) tubed tyres are a liability in my book.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 07:12 AM

Garage
Hi all!

I would be interested to learn on some real life experience in daily use of the Alpine tubeless wheels on our AT. How many miles, which tires you have mounted, only on-road or some off-road too and so on. And especially if there are any troubles with the sealing of the spokes with so many o-rings on each wheel.

Many thanks for your feedback and best regards,

Gerhard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 07:46 AM

Iíve mounted Continental Trail Attack 2ís on my Alpina wheels. I do 99% on road riding as my access to off road riding is minimal. I envy those who live in the States or Australia that they can spend so much time riding in wilderness. As far as reliability, I only check the tyre pressures maybe once a month or even less. I may have to put a lb of pressure in when I do check them as itís me that has let some air escape using my equipment.

I canít recommend Alpina wheels enough. They are expensive, but not as expensive than others available and in 6000+ miles have been perfect.
KiwiMark likes this.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
I only check the tyre pressures maybe once a month or even less. I may have to put a lb of pressure in when I do check them as itís me that has let some air escape using my equipment.
Great info! I REALLY hate tubed tyres!

My plan is to go with something like the Outex system for the stock rims and see how well that works. Then later I'll look at spending the money to buy a second set of wheels (Alpina) which would let me mount more road orientated tyres on one set of wheels and 50/50 tyres on the other set. Maybe 90/10 tyres and 50/50 tyres. For a road trip with no off-road or gravel expected I could just put on the wheels with the 90/10 tyres, for a trip with gravel/dirt/grass/etc I could switch to the 50/50 tyres.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 12:11 PM

My AT is due to arrive in March . I will ride the bike for a couple of days to make sure it is a keeper then order the Alpinas. I like the selection of colours that are available from Alpina and it seems that there is sufficient positive feedback from riders to remove the worry of the O ring seals. My plan is to remove the stock wheels , swop over the discs, sprocket and ABS rings then order a pair of Conti Trail attack 2s. Somewhere on the Alpina website is a detailed article on how the O rings perform in the long term. I will see if I can find it and post a link
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 12:24 PM

Here is a link to the O ring info from the Alpina website. If it dosnt work go on the website and look for the 'downloads'
https://www.alpina-wheels.com/wp-con...Alpina-STS.pdf
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 12:55 PM

They arenít technically ordinary O rings Alpina use. AFAIK, they use elastomers for the spoke nipples.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F6D31164-1E52-4EEF-B447-A412204944CC.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	38129  
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 06:02 PM

I have been seriously thinking about this, but Iíve decided to try the Outex route first, then if that doesnít work out for me, Iíll maybe go down the Alpina route. I was speaking to someone today, who has lots of experience with Outex, he told me itís vital to install correctly and if done properly, will last for years.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari4711 View Post
Hi all!

I would be interested to learn on some real life experience in daily use of the Alpine tubeless wheels on our AT. How many miles, which tires you have mounted, only on-road or some off-road too and so on. And especially if there are any troubles with the sealing of the spokes with so many o-rings on each wheel.

Many thanks for your feedback and best regards,

Gerhard
Hey Guys, been a while since i logged in.
To Recap... I set up a Honda Africa for a friend from Canada to ride around Australia on in March 2017.
He did a rally i organised in the Snowy Mountains for 6 days first, then he rode around Australia, a total of 26,000km in just under 3 months.
He never liked the idea of tubed tyres, so we put Alpina rims on the bike along with a load of other essential goodies.
I will give you a rundown on the tyres he used and his thoughts, remembering that the Africa twin was fully loaded with panniers, and he weighed in at 110kg, which will tend to make the front a little light on the road anyway.

Sydney: First tyres were Pirelli Scorpion Trail. Ok in the dry. Nasty, and unpredictable in the wet. Went on rim fine, didnt leak or give any trouble other than handling in the wet. Never took these tyres on dirt.

Perth: Second tyres were Conti TKC70. He really liked these, good allround tyre, he rode from Perth up the coast of WA and across to Darwin, then across to the east coast with these, did some long dirt runs between upper WA and Darwin, no problems at all. Good in the wet. Went on the rims fine, didnt leak.

Brisbane: Third set of tyres were Conti Trail Attack 2. He was happy enough with these and rode from brisbane down to rural Victoria via Parkes and back to Sydney, where the bike has been in my garage since. I took it to work a few days before we had a day ride (Putty Loop) planned and it seemed fine. During the day ride, the front tyre went flat, quickly, and we found ourselves on the side of the road trying to fix it. WE TRIED EVERYTHING!. We couldnt get the front tyre to hold air and seal on the bead, probably because it was run dead flat before we came to a holt. We got the front wheel off and to a bike shop who said the tyre was Fckt. put a second hand tyre on it to get home, and made it home. After more investigation, i discover that the dealer in Brisbane did have trouble fitting the Conti Attack 2 front tyre to the rim, and had to use some goo to make it seal properly. SO...... Did not go on rims ok, and did leak.

Martin gets back into Sydney late Feb 2018, and is doing our rally and another 2 months riding in Australia.
I have just has a set of Avon AM26 Roadriders fitted on the rims, and will fit the wheels tomorrow. They are road tyres, can take the weight of a fully loaded Africa Twin, and the front tyre is supposed to be particularly responsive and good. Avon has the 150/70/18 that we need, which we all know is not available in every brand and type of tyre.

I purchased a tyre pressure monitor system (TPMS) for the wheels, battery powered, pressure and temperature reading, with a small monitoring unit that will be mounted above the dash next to the BMW NAV V. Basically it will start flashing if the tyre starts going down. During my research i saw some TPMS that needed recharging, and some monitoring displays that needed to be hardwired, i didnt like the idea of this, and found a system which takes batteries that claim to last 6 months or so, which saves pissing around with batteries.

to finish.... The Alpina Rims are great, but without a TPMS, if the tyre goes dead flat it could be fckt, and it wont pump up, so there goes any advantage of having tubeless rims. $130 from digoptions.com.au
Martin did put together a thread full of pictures and daily ride reports on another forum, not sure if its ok to post link here?
So if you spend $3000 on the rims.... spend $130 on the TPMS.

cheers
Kiwimat
Sundodger likes this.

Cheers
Kiwimat

---------------------------

Honda Africa Twin 2016 (Martins bike)
BMW K1300R 2013

Last edited by Kiwimat; 01-23-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page