OEM Tube thickness? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By kari4711
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
OEM Tube thickness?

Hi all! I would just like to know if anyone knows what thickness the tubes are on the AT. Today i tried to get heavy duty ones. After going almost to every shop someone were able to help me with 1.4mm thickness tubes. He told me it is still thicker than the oem tube.
Is this correct?
Tiaan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 749
I had to change a tube before I bought my Alpina rims. It said ‘Heavy Duty’ on the box. I can only presume it was thicker than the oe tube.
Davy F is online now  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
kari4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wiener Neudorf, Austria
Posts: 107
Garage
Hi!

As far as I know.

Standard tubes: 1.2 - 1.4 millimeters - this is the type fitted and to be used further within the AT tires. Because, thicker tubes produce more heat (especially on road).

Heavy Duty tubes: 2.0 - 2.4 millimeters - not recommended to be used for the AT!

Ultra Heavy Duty tubes: ~ 4 millimeters - not recommended to be used for the AT!

The thickness of all types could vary from manufacturer to manufacturer of course.

Cheers, Gerhard
fuelpincher and Mushroom like this.
kari4711 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Portugal
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari4711 View Post
Hi!

As far as I know.

Standard tubes: 1.2 - 1.4 millimeters - this is the type fitted and to be used further within the AT tires. Because, thicker tubes produce more heat (especially on road).

Heavy Duty tubes: 2.0 - 2.4 millimeters - not recommended to be used for the AT!

Ultra Heavy Duty tubes: ~ 4 millimeters - not recommended to be used for the AT!

The thickness of all types could vary from manufacturer to manufacturer of course.

Cheers, Gerhard
Why do you say HD tubes are not recommended to be used in the AT? Just because they "produce" more heat? Do you have data that helps to understand that statement?

Thinner tube vs HD tube vs UHD tube?
acarrilho is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
fuelpincher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarrilho View Post
Why do you say HD tubes are not recommended to be used in the AT? Just because they "produce" more heat? Do you have data that helps to understand that statement?

Thinner tube vs HD tube vs UHD tube?
More heat means possible tire failure. Just check with the tube manufacturers. They clearly state that thick tubes are for off highway use only.
fuelpincher is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
superfunkomatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 803
That's interesting about the HD and UHD tubes. I hadn't heard that before. I have a set of UHD tubes in my rear tire with 16,000 kilometres on them - no issues with heat or failure. Am I just lucky? I thought that the UHD tubes would hold up better to wear and tear. They are made by Michelin and Heidenau and are listed as a replacement tube for the bike online and were recommended by a motorcycle shop.

I did, however, have a puncture of the front OEM tube from a nail which was a bummer.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." – Robert Louis Stevenson

superfunkomatic is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 11:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: QLD, Australia
Posts: 286
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
That's interesting about the HD and UHD tubes. I hadn't heard that before. I have a set of UHD tubes in my rear tire with 16,000 kilometres on them - no issues with heat or failure. Am I just lucky? I thought that the UHD tubes would hold up better to wear and tear. They are made by Michelin and Heidenau and are listed as a replacement tube for the bike online and were recommended by a motorcycle shop.

I did, however, have a puncture of the front OEM tube from a nail which was a bummer.
I have seen a failure of a UHD tube on sealed roads where it effectively split a seam, I would say that was heat related it was hot (tire and tube) and when we pulled the tube out of the tire it would tear along the seam very easily. No UHD tubes since then, in fact no tubes since then either Tubliss ore Outex but I still carry a light duty 19 tube. The guys at TuBliss put me onto the temperature problem with on highway and thick tubes. I measered the outside tire temp after I did a Tubliss conversion and they run much cooler than with a tube in there, averaging over 15 degC less (remember this is the outside) so I would think you could cook a heavy tube at sustained high speed.
SkipD is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 05:37 AM
Senior Member
 
kari4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wiener Neudorf, Austria
Posts: 107
Garage
Hi!

I've got the infos from 2 different sources (my tire supplier and my local Honda dealer too) and, no I don't have statistics and/or data for.

Further, as written it's "not recommended" but, not forbidden.

I run a HD tube at the front by my on AT at the moment (when changing the tire I only have this type handy).

Never the less it sounds logical to me: Heavier bike => more tire movement = stiffer tube (HD or UHD) isn't as flexible as a normal one => more movement between tire and tube => more heat produced. Once again, especially on highway use it sounds logical to me. More and/or only off road use I guess it could make sense to go for HD/UHD (I think it's somehow similar as when using a Mousse on Enduro bikes => road speed = heat which kills the Mousse quickly ).

Also do not forget the HD/UHD tubes have more weight => more rotating mass.

Cheers, gerhard
kari4711 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For sale in Europe - new OEM tires, OEM handguards, H&B handguard nii CRF1000L Africa Twin Parts 0 09-18-2017 04:36 AM
Tube storage. Ian Bean Wheels, Tires, and Suspension 5 09-14-2017 10:58 AM
Tube sealant Ridenfun Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin General Discussion Forum 9 08-29-2017 03:35 AM
OEM Heated Grips & OEM 12V Socket Afrika2 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin General Discussion Forum 4 11-20-2016 03:18 AM
Rear inner tube Tinpot Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin General Discussion Forum 13 03-19-2016 05:22 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome