gold wheels corroding too - Page 5 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxply View Post
Think you will find (as stated in an earlier post) hand dish washing liquids e.g Fairy liquid, do contain salt, so not recommended for washing bikes. My OE chain also showed more surface rust than I expected, and I also use a chain oiler. I have concluded that it is a poor quality chain.
You'd think wouldn;t you (especially as 3 of my OEM chains on my NC750X lasted just 12k miles). However, the OEM chain fitted to my 2017 AT still had plenty of life left in it at 20k when I changed it just as a precautionary measure. The expensive replacement (non-OEM) had at least one sticking link after just another 4k miles.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Petros - is it possible you rode through a chemical spill without realising?
Mike
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 03:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCollington View Post
Would be interesting to see if other motorcycles in your environment exhibited any signs of this.
Umm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
Living at the same place I have owened 3 Varaderos for the last 10+ years....not a simple sign of corrosion.
Petros Galiatsis likes this.

~ CRF1000L / KTM 200 XC-W / KTM 450 XC-W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:14 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

I really did not know that products like Fairy have salt. I used such for cleaning my bikes for years now. This is the first bike I see such signs of corrosion and especially at such a sort time. Nevertheless, the advice is well noted.

I have sent photos to my mechanic and he will speak with the Honda importer in Athens. In the mean time I have purchased set of mild steel brushes and I will try to clean as much of the surface corrosion I can; at least I will try to delay the decay.

I will keep the team posted.
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Petros - is it possible you rode through a chemical spill without realising?
Mike
It is rather unlike, Mike.
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It is rather unlike, Mike.
Agreed, but so is all the corrosion you describe. I live near the sea in the UK and ride through winter when there's lots of salt on the roads, and your corrosion sounds worse than mine (24k miles).
Mike
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Agreed, but so is all the corrosion you describe. I live near the sea in the UK and ride through winter when there's lots of salt on the roads, and your corrosion sounds worse than mine (24k miles).
Mike
I have been in Durham, many years back (it was early 2000) on business trip; what a lovely town!!!

On our subject, yes you are right it does seem exagerated and this is what has alerted me. Anyway, I will spend most of the Sunday cleaning out with the brush as much as I can and most probably I must develop a new habbit during washing the ATAS: this is removing the white (and/or red) rust...

BTW team, I was considering using some WD40 to soak the brush during the process; would you agree or advice else?
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Hi Kev

I am not using washing machine liquid. I am using liquid we use for hand washing the dishes. Those definitely do not have any salt.

See some photos
I use the same thing for washing my bike. Nothing stronger than Palmolive Dish Detergent has been on my bike. I fill a bucket with a bit of the detergent and use just that on a soft cotton cloth to clean most surfaces (naturally, not the chain, etc.). I do believe Palmolive does have some salts in it, like most detergents - but I use it on the wheels as well, and so far, so good. It's pretty well diluted. And I always make sure to rinse the bike well, after. But I've used Palmolive for my dishes and for *so many* other things that require a delicate cleanser for *years.* (Remember the old commercial? "You're soaking in it!" "It softens your hands while you do the dishes!)"

I use my power washer (on low setting) to spray away all the grime and dirt and dust prior to full washing--so that the dirt doesn't act as an abrasive and scratch the surfaces.

But I wonder about some of these specialty cleaning products--many of them don't list all the ingredients or they're trade secrets. I'm betting many of them have a little bit of salts in them too.

I do quick cleaning often after each ride with simply a cotton cloth soaked in cool water and wrung out. You can get a lot of the grime off with just plain old water. Bug stains too, if you don't let them sit too long. And I'm so persnickety, I place a big water-soaked cotton cloth over the windshield and let it sit for several minutes before cleaning off the bug grime. So far, no scratches on the screen. And no Windex either. (And never paper towels)!

But Petros! The inside of your chain looks awful, man. Do you clean it often? I'm a bit anal about mine. And here, I do use specialty products--I use Maxima Chain Cleaner with a chain brush and follow-up with the "Chain Wax." This stuff works great and has kept my chain looking like new.

I'm curious... how long had it been since you last cleaned the chain before taking that picture? And what do you use to clean your chain?

Thanks and keep riding safe, my friend, Gary

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post

I'm curious... how long had it been since you last cleaned the chain before taking that picture? And what do you use to clean your chain?

Thanks and keep riding safe, my friend, Gary

Hi Gary

the chain was thoroughly cleaned 3 approximately 4wks back, before my last 3-days trip. When I returned, it was in perfect condition, no corrosion at all and well oiled (I do tend to keep the oiler at rather high setting).

For the cleaning I follow strictly the Honda User Manual instructions. I do not use hard checmicals.

Then the bike remained covered for about two weeks, due to rain. And, voila, next time I checked, the chain was in that condition.

Hopefully it seems that the rust is superficial; I checked with a brush and it gets away easily. Also the bolts etc seem to clean up to an acceptable extend.

My mechanic has spoken with Athens Honda HQ and they said that it is impossible that all those areas corroded at the same time due to components failure. they do suspect (like Mike said) that maybe I run over some corrosive material somewere, or even someone deliberately messed with my bike. The last one does not stand where I live and keep the bike. Nevertheless, aside the frame they are willing to support and told my mechanic to assess the situation and ask for whatever he deems needs replacement. Of course to this contibuted the fact that my mechanic has a very good reputation to Honda HQ in Athens and so do I to my mechanic. He does know that I am always looking to prevent damages rather than let them happen and then raise claims. And this he succesfully conveyed to Honda Greece. I guess the fact that before the ATAS I owened 4 Hondas and never, ever, raised a warranty claim, played some role as well.

So, this weekend I will give it a very throrough clean and check what rust or corrosion remains and we shall start from there.

Needless to say that, aside any frustration, my real concern is the frame. All other things may be corrected one way or another. Bolts can be replaced, spoke nipples the same, chain can be cleaned or substituted....But the frame is a real problem..... we shall see.....

Last edited by Petros Galiatsis; 03-15-2019 at 05:00 AM.
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:54 AM

Petros, you sound like the perfect customer in Honda Greeces' mind.

I suspect most of us are, in as much as most of us wouldn't deliberately let our very expensive bikes go rusty on purpose, just so we can get a replacement part, identical to the original.
I'm still waiting for the replacement wheels for mine, 10 months after reporting the issue and being assured by the dealer that the claim went in and was accepted. It seems a bad business model (certainly in the UK) to have an existing customer wait 10 mths for wheels that must be available because they are being put on new bikes. How the dealer deals with my issue in the coming weeks will dictate whether I stay with Honda or go back to BMW who are superb with warranty issues. Sad really, I love the AT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page