gold wheels corroding too - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

gold wheels corroding too

I haven't been paying much attention to my gold rims through the winter because the wheels are getting replaced in July for the stainless spokes, but I was surprised to find today that what I thought was chain oil fling is actually black corrosion of the gold anodising. Has anyone else got this problem?
If they replace the whole wheels like last time then it's only next winter that's an issue and how to protect them from the salt. This set of rims had several applications of carnauba wax prior to the salt but nothing since about December.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:48 PM

Same here, pants finish, I too thought it was oil at first, must have a look at the replacement set, bound to be going same way.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Having just done about an hours research I am suspecting that this is ferrous corrosion caused by iron particles from the brake pads. Unless someone tells me that the oem pads are iron free (which is possible apparently)
If this is the explanation then we need to use a ferrous fallout decontaminant. This is not a wheel cleaner and has to be used with care as it will damage any steel bolts nuts and sprockets that it comes into contact with. I’m not sure how it will affect the new stainless steel spokes
I’m going to buy some and see if it has any effect on the black pitting but I suspect once that’s happened it’s too late
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

I bought some expensive Meguars wheel cleaner designed to remove iron particles in case that's what's causing it. It didn;t touch them - the damage is done. Here's a pic and you can see why me and Henerey thought they were oil splatters. But blow up the pic and you can see it's black corrosion of the anodised alloy. You can also see that it's mainly on one side of the wheel - the brake disc side - which would back up the explanation above. However - the front wheel is largely OK and I use those brakes more so what's going on - are the back pads made from something different than the front.?
Mike
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:39 PM
R.M

Mine are gone too....especially the rear spokes. Front wheel rim needs replacing.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 10:26 AM

I have an 18 Adventure Sport and that has black spots on the rear rim within 800 miles. I was thinking it was chain splatter too.

I have tried cleaning it off the WD40 chain cleaner but it didn't much affect.

I didn't even consider it may be corrosion of some sort. Must have a closer look.

I also noticed the stainless spokes are fine but the nipples are corroding. I could have bought an older bike and got these issues for a lot less money.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 10:16 PM

I have an 18 ATAS arriving at the end of the month. I think I'm going to wipe down the wheels and spokes with a light coat of Corrosion X right away and see if I can prevent these corrosion problems. I hear you SrogATAS....Honda's are not supposed to have these problems.

2008 VFR800A
2018 ATAS DCT
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:44 AM

Its hard to believe that Honda are still having problems with wheel corrosion.
I have the ATAS, and I have been careful to avoid salted roads. The ATAS hit the roads at the start of March 18 in the UK so its possible some folks have ridden them on salted roads.
I have Alpina wheels fitted. The rims are gold, spokes stainless and nipples aluminium painted black. I will be keeping an eye on them for corrosion, none so far. The rear rim has been very dusty, assume its from the roads rather than brake pads. I have not yet ridden on wet roads.
Here is a little story of what salt can do. I had a brand new Kawasaki GTR 1400. I took it out on dry salted roads in March. I got home and even though the bike looked clean and dry I decided to hose it down to wash off any possible dry salt dust. I wiped it down and pushed it into the garage. Two weeks later I pushed it out and found that each disk had an imprint of the brake pad and across the imprint was pitting. It seemed that salty water had been trapped between pad and disc and caused corrosion. I should have given the pads a better rinse down. Salt really does wreck motorcycles
If anyone knows what these reported mystery black spots are on the rims I am keen to understand.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 10:23 AM

do the spots look like this under magnification (magnifying glass)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anodizing corrosion.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	42410  

2008 VFR800A
2018 ATAS DCT
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 10:39 AM

I suspect the black spots, star/floret shaped I'm guessing, are from chlorides that were in water that was on the wheel. As the water evaporates you get a localized high concentration of chlorides and it causes pitting (black in color). See snip attached from the PDF at the link.

http://www.fot.de/uploads/docs/fehlermoeglichkeiten.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitting During Anodizing.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	42418  

2008 VFR800A
2018 ATAS DCT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page