Alpina or Bartubless - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 16Likes

Old 01-28-2019, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post

Alpina has too many moving parts to be reliable in a long run.

And what moving parts are those you speak off ?

Alpina have been making these wheels since 2005 (and making wheels for over a century) and apart from the odd wheel bearing failure, there doesnít seem to be any horror stories that Iíve heard or read off to support your reliability concerns. I have read of owners doing tens of thousands of miles on Alpinas without problems.

However, your money, your choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
And what moving parts are those you speak off ?

Alpina have been making these wheels since 2005 (and making wheels for over a century) and apart from the odd wheel bearing failure, there doesn’t seem to be any horror stories that I’ve heard or read off to support your reliability concerns. I have read of owners doing tens of thousands of miles on Alpinas without problems.

However, your money, your choice.
By moving part, obviously, Rainmaker refers to individual parts. And, no matter how good Alpina was, is and will be, there are 36 potential leakage points on the AT rims.

I have seen how the idea on alpinas is realised. Well, nothing really surprising. Those are O-rings, certainly of high grade elastomer, but o-rings no matter what. They are subject to stresses and pressures, fatigue and inevitable aging. I am a mechanical enginneer by proffesion, I know fatigue and aging and obviously I accept them. Cannot accept the fact that for every failure I will need to send the rims to Italy for repairs.

Like Rainmaker said, and we all agree, the Kineo is the only real bulletproof solution. But, like him, I'd rather swap bike than putting 2K++ for a set of wheels.
silverfox966 likes this.

Last edited by Petros Galiatsis; 01-28-2019 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:21 AM

I paid $10K for my 2017 Africa Twin. Even though I would love to have a set, I can't justify spending >20% of that cost just for Kineo wheels. One of my non-negotiable, must have features on this AT purchase was the DCT. I have no desire to go back to a clutch system. So, I either install a "hole plug" wheel system, the Kineo wheel, or just grin and bear it and carry tire irons and tubes and hope I never have a flat (yeah ..... right). I elected to perform the 3M sealant method, time will tell if this decision was a wise one. If this 3M method does not work out for me, reluctantly, it's back to installing the tubes. $%^# !!

Yes, I believe Honda's release of the AT with tube wheels is centered on a cost savings marketing decision. In my case, I don't lower my tire pressures, I don't ride it like a dirt bike. My bike sees pavement, gravel/dirt roads and occasionally cutting across a pasture at a sane speed. I don't have a need for tube tire system. I'll keep this AT for many years and ride it many miles, maybe someday some other manufacturer will come along with an affordable tubeless wheel system for the AT? I can only imagine the tooling and design costs on such a venture ........... no wonder the Kineo is > $ 2K. But then .... maybe you could investment cast the wheel or 5 axis machine the wheel from 6061 T6 aluminum ring .......or ...??... the possibility is there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019, 03:36 AM

As I posted earlier I have had no issues with my Alpinas after 9 months. I too am a mechanical Engineer and have experience of O rings, service life, ageing, static and dynamic applications.
I was a bit dubious about so many O rings and I agree the Kineo is a better engineered solution. The Alpinas however do look lovely

However I reckoned that any leakage is likely to be slow so I fitted a tyre pressure monitoring system so that I can keep an eye on pressures. I still have my brand new OEM wheels and tyres should the Alpinas develop problems.

I think a lot of people are put off buying the AT because of the tubed tyre. The 2018 ATAS is still the best looking bike ever mind !
Old 01-28-2019, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post

However I reckoned that any leakage is likely to be slow so I fitted a tyre pressure monitoring system so that I can keep an eye on pressures. I still have my brand new OEM wheels and tyres should the Alpinas develop problems.

You are absolutely right on this, Kev. Eventually, the main reason for going tubeless is safety (to me at least) and then convinience in case of a puncture. Alpina definitely meets both.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:30 AM

Petros,

No, the wheels are SM Pro tubeless from Rugged Roads.

https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00c...ectID=28523840

I retain the old wheels just in case.

Z

2016 AT manual. 2005 TA. 1949 Scott 600.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarafah View Post
Petros,

No, the wheels are SM Pro tubeless from Rugged Roads.

https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00c...ectID=28523840

I retain the old wheels just in case.

Z
Please forgive my ignorance; are those wheels the ones produced and offered by Bartubless or different manufacturer that are sent to Bartubless for treatement?
Old 01-28-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
Please forgive my ignorance; are those wheels the ones produced and offered by Bartubless or different manufacturer that are sent to Bartubless for treatement?
These wheels are made entirely in the UK. and then shipped to Italy to Bartubeless. They are then returned to the UK.. directly to the buyer.

The wheels are made by this company. https://www.smprowheels.co.uk/about-us

I am guessing that these particular wheels are made as a special order as they do not appear on the website. So, it would appear, cannot be purchased direct.
Petros Galiatsis likes this.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:54 AM

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...ess-low-wheels

Expensive but seem to be a sound solution.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:41 AM

Just my experience of the Alpina and Bartubless, having the spokes replaced on the oem wheels in June I ordered a set of wheels from Alpina to keep oem looking good and convert to tubeless. On fitting the Alpina wheels I found the front was losing 8psi approx. a week then the rear started losing air I took the front off to test and found small leaks from most of the spokes seals. I emailed Alpina UK and told them, the reply was they would get back to me but would have to send them back to Italy, rather than muck around I brought the Rally Raid Bartubless wheels and have no problems with them and if things do go wrong I can talk to Rally Raid UK direct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in