Fuel Starvation ?? Normal?? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Angry Fuel Starvation ?? Normal??

Hi Guys (Ladies also of course)
First timer on forums ..so be gentle with me if I am not asking this question in the right way or place..
Just reaching the initial 600 miles on Adv Sports 2018 Africa Twin .. Loving it .. But .. when my Fuel Range reached circa 20 miles the bike lags and splutters like it is just about to run completely out of fuel .. But when filling I can only get 20 liters in the tank and as I said it showed as though I had 20 miles to still go on the range.. Is this normal? seems very weird and a little disconcerting..

And advice to this newbie much appreciated..

Malcolm Barratt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:30 PM

Hi Malcom welcom to the forum.

I haven't run my bike down to 20 miles range but usually I find they will keep running beyond the fuel gauge.
My gauge often tells me I'm getting low on fuel but I always seem to have more litres left than the fuel gauge suggests.

As for the splutters maybe your tank breather is not as clear as it should be. Do you get a sound when you open the fuel cap?

Your dealer should sort it for you when you have your service.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ... Breather ..Yes good shout. Due anyhow at dealer for 1st 600 mile service so I will ask.. Is 20L full capacity on ATAS ? thought it was 24L ? Great to get your feedback .. much appreciated.

Malcolm Barratt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:15 PM

Yes. Definitely bring it up at your dealership.

If after the service it still happens, I would keep notes or a diary of sorts so you have documentary evidence to wave under his nose if you think there really is something amiss.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:33 PM

Garage
I had similar symptoms, but they were due to water in the fuel.

I bought fuel in a very rural area and bought premium. Apparently no one there uses premium so it had water in the fuel.

It ran fine for a while but at about half of a tank it started acting like it was starving for fuel. I had to roll off the gas to keep it from stumbling, and it had no power. It would continue to slow down until I stopped. If I stopped and turned it off for 5 minutes it would clear up for a bit when the water settled. However, it would return soon and the lower the tank, the more often it occurred.

I filled it up again at just past a half tank as it was so bad, and I added a bottle of fuel conditioner / water absorber at the same time. That helped a lot and it didn't reoccur until it was almost empty. At about 1/4 tank it started happening again.

One more fill up and another bottle of conditioner fully solved the issue.

I then completed my road trip to include multiple full tanks at high-speed with no issues.

Don
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:00 PM

I had read that a few members had similar issues and it was a clogged fuel filter that was choking things off. If it's in for service you could have them check that, too.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:07 AM

Garage
Have the same problem. And it is a problem.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 AM

I’m taking my 2019 ATAS in to the dealership today to have it looked at. Had the same problem with bike cutting out. I too thought it was bad fuel and put in some Heet alcohol to fix it. I thought the problem was solved but no. As soon as the fuel gets low and air temperature gets high it crops up again.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:16 PM

I just had this problem crop up on the last leg (thank goodness) of a 5000 mile trip to Alaska. My 2019 ATAS DCT started acting up at like 95 degrees and while moving fast on a crowded highway, not a fun experience. We tried numerous things that all worked for several miles before acting up again. We definitely filled up in many interesting gas stations while we were in Canada but this was well into the states (ID to be exact). When I opened the fuel lid I got the sucking sound and was sure I had solved the problem, and wow did she take of and run great, until the sputtering starved fuel feeling came back. Then I closed the lid and all was well for exactly 11 miles and then sputter was back. Made me think it wasn't fuel that was the culprit. Bike is at Honda now and I await their take. As it is I'm frustrated since it is a new bike with low miles and so much potential for fun if I can trust it (isn't that why you buy a Honda after all?).
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:17 PM

@EpicTrekker . Did you get your bike back yet. Mine is still in the shop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page