Tool to remove front axle on the road or trail - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Tool to remove front axle on the road or trail

The front axle nut is 22mm. What are folks carrying with them on the bike to remove the nut on the roadside or trail?

I want to get a combo tire lever axle wrench like the Motion Pro T6 or Tusk, but it looks like there may not be enough clearance for it. The fender is very close to the nut, and is a welded post. Does anyone have the combo lever, and is there enough clearance?

I have a 1/2 inch drive 22 mm socket that I use in the garage, but would prefer not to carry it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:45 PM

I have a new AT and am currently putting together my tool kit. I purchased a combo 27mm/22mm tire lever/axle wrench set and indeed, the front wrench will not fit because of clearance issues. My current plan is to carry the 22mm socket. I am looking at a lockable Givi S250 tool box which will mount inside my Happy Trails pannier bracket on the side opposite the muffler. Between the S250 and a tool belt I should be able to ride with everything I need (including both 18" and 21" spare tubes, CO2 inflation kit, tire irons, a compact jumper battery and an assortment of tools). I prefer not to mount panniers when I am headed out for technical riding and this will let me do that.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:36 PM

The Motion Pro tyre iron / wrench combo work well. I have the 32mm with insert (27/22) and the small 12mm as a pair.
The 12mm works on pinch bolts, the other on both front and rear axle.

You have to understand- you aren’t getting the front wheel off without removing the 4-lower 5mm hex fender bolts. This gives ample room for the motion pro tool on the front axle.

Then, or you don’t mind a small disc scrape, you can rotate the lower sliders enough to get the tyre past the brake calipers. Best if tyre is deflated then no scrape.

Manual says to remove caliper. Makes it easier but not necessary, especially if it’s a roadside flat repair.

If you do remove ONE caliper, use blue loctite when reinstalling. No need for new bolts as specified in manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:55 PM

If you get a fender riser kit you shouldn’t have clearance issues for the motion pro tools. It’s about 20£ and useful also if you’re going off-road

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:26 PM

Easier and cheaper to remove the two left side lower fender mount screws.
Try removing your front wheel. You either remove one caliper or twist the lower legs to allow the tyre past the calipers.
And to twist the lower legs you have to remove the fender screws.
You quick realize access for the motion pro tyre irons is not an issue if you think ahead.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:04 AM

Motion Pro tools work well - I have the Rugged Roads fender riser, so I didn't even know there was any kind of clearance issue. I use the stepped Motion Pro 12/13 wrench for the pinch bolts (it's a tapered wrench that seems to work better on those bolts).
I also use the axle tool for the other side to help remove the axle without banging away on the threaded side.

jays0n, jamnut and MPNM like this.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." – Robert Louis Stevenson

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:05 PM

How about the following + spoon lever combo? Together they barely weigh anything.

https://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...rica-twin.html

AND

TD-70 by Vessel to remove pinch bolts & any other small allen/hex bolts
supasim1 and MPNM like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:05 PM

Do you guys then use a torque wrench to tighten everything properly once you get home/to a garage or you just tighten the **** out of it and hope it's ok? Because then wouldn't it be more cost effective to just buy a torque wrench and the 27/22 bits and travel around with those while touring?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:56 PM

A torque wrench is far too heavy to be riding with. IMO they are for people who tend to over-tighten. I install my wheels with the tools I carry on the bike, no need for a lot of torque. I will be able to get them off in the field with those tools if I need to.
black99S and MPNM like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaraderoTwin View Post
Do you guys then use a torque wrench to tighten everything properly once you get home/to a garage or you just tighten the **** out of it and hope it's ok? Because then wouldn't it be more cost effective to just buy a torque wrench and the 27/22 bits and travel around with those while touring?
Re & re the front wheel at home. Use your road tools and tighten as you think appropriate, then check with torque wrench so you have an idea if you went too tight. Not a good idea to tighten the sh!t out of the bolts. Easy to strip things.
It's more important to get the fork legs aligned properly so you are not stressing the bushings and seals.
Miked6631 and MPNM like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page