*Controversial* Front Tire/Wheel Rotation - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:13 AM

I donít get this. I change my tyres using spoons, and especially the front is relatively easy and quick to change. I would be using at least the same time spannering the brake disks away and around.. If I am keen to get the last bit out of my front Mitas E-13 (50Ä, Valmer.fi) I would turn it around after 5 k kms or so.. Not at every 1k. It is a knobby, it will never be so good on tarmac as non-knobby, and in gravel, mud etc. you wouldnít notice the difference after a few k or so..
No offence, but I would not bother..

TiuSo

Honda AT DCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiuSo View Post
I donít get this. I change my tyres using spoons, and especially the front is relatively easy and quick to change. I would be using at least the same time spannering the brake disks away and around.. If I am keen to get the last bit out of my front Mitas E-13 (50Ä, Valmer.fi) I would turn it around after 5 k kms or so.. Not at every 1k. It is a knobby, it will never be so good on tarmac as non-knobby, and in gravel, mud etc. you wouldnít notice the difference after a few k or so..
No offence, but I would not bother..

TiuSo
I agree with you on this, far faster to take the tire off and spin it round that start fluffing round with everything else. If I get bad cupping on the front knobby I just spin them round to even the wear out.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmer View Post
Takes about 15 minutes to swap the rotors, why bother with the not insignificant expense of another rotor.
Correct torque settings and threadlock and the occasional new bolts would get the job done.
Assume you mean this for knobbly tyres.
UPDATE:
Did the rotor swap last night and rode to work today. Can report the process was a success and very easy and fast. 10 bolts and red threadlock. I'll circle back to see how much life I get out of this front GT723 once she's cooked. For now I'm assuming it will be worth the effort. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:37 PM

Garage
I would suggest that some here might be better at spooning on tires than others, and that certain tires are often more difficult than others.
Pinching a tube is always an issue, and a PITA to deal with.
Sounds like Stu has the answer. But, to each their own.

One cool & froody dude who knows where his towel is!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoStu View Post
UPDATE:
Did the rotor swap last night and rode to work today. Can report the process was a success and very easy and fast. 10 bolts and red threadlock. I'll circle back to see how much life I get out of this front GT723 once she's cooked. For now I'm assuming it will be worth the effort. Thanks
Good for you, might be worth a ding round the spokes after a couple of hundred miles to check the change hasn't caused any to loosen off if you ride offroad with it. Easier nipped up in the shed with a spoke wrench than having a broken spoke spoil your riding.
Just a thought.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:36 AM

Earler this week I changed my tyres again (knobblies out and Bridgestone A41 in) for the sunday trackday, and out of curiosity used my old Rabaconda changer for the front tyre. 5 min job to change with it, most of the time went to me fishing out the nearly new uhd inner tube, did put normal tube instead.

If you got one, use it on front, rear is another story..

For me, tubeless rear tyre (with tube) were not easy to start, but practise seems to do good..

So easy and quick in front, maybe not so in the rear..

TiuSo

Honda AT DCT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page