Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/)
-   Wheels, Tires, and Suspension (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/185-wheels-tires-suspension/)
-   -   Thick Tubes (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/185-wheels-tires-suspension/34945-thick-tubes.html)

ajay_fidel1 04-17-2019 02:25 AM

Thick Tubes
 
I am travelling from Germanyto Mongolia with K60 Scout tyres .
I am thinking to buy the following tubes (4.0-4.5mm thick), is there any performances/ ergodynamic changes if I use thick tubes as below :

21" Heavy Cross, 18F Cr 18 Zoll

normal tube thicknes is 1.5- 2.0 mm

Petros Galiatsis 04-17-2019 09:45 AM

I had a discussion with my mechanic for the heavy duty tubes. His son is a motocross competition rider, so he has a very solid view on this matter and he also owns an ATAS as well...

He told me that the heavy duty tubes are a must for competition where the pressures re pretty low and the hits against obstacles that may tear apart a normal tube, are inevitable. BUT, if it would come to the case of stepping on a nail, the heavy duty tube will get a nice puncture as the normal one would.

He definitely do not suggest it for normal use for the following reasons:

1. they do NOT prevent punctures of the type we would encounter in normal riding.
2. they are a PITA for installation/fix
3. They are super heavy, affecting the gyroscopic phenomenon
4. They tend to run hotter.

ajay_fidel1 04-17-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis (Post 302159)
I had a discussion with my mechanic for the heavy duty tubes. His son is a motocross competition rider, so he has a very solid view on this matter and he also owns an ATAS as well...

He told me that the heavy duty tubes are a must for competition where the pressures re pretty low and the hits against obstacles that may tear apart a normal tube, are inevitable. BUT, if it would come to the case of stepping on a nail, the heavy duty tube will get a nice puncture as the normal one would.

He definitely do not suggest it for normal use for the following reasons:

1. they do NOT prevent punctures of the type we would encounter in normal riding.
2. they are a PITA for installation/fix
3. They are super heavy, affecting the gyroscopic phenomenon
4. They tend to run hotter.

Thanks!

after holding the tubes in hand , it seems like an extra (thin) tyre. I think I will go for the normal tubes!

ProCycle 04-17-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis (Post 302159)
I had a discussion with my mechanic for the heavy duty tubes. His son is a motocross competition rider, so he has a very solid view on this matter and he also owns an ATAS as well...

He told me that the heavy duty tubes are a must for competition where the pressures re pretty low and the hits against obstacles that may tear apart a normal tube, are inevitable. BUT, if it would come to the case of stepping on a nail, the heavy duty tube will get a nice puncture as the normal one would.

He definitely do not suggest it for normal use for the following reasons:

1. they do NOT prevent punctures of the type we would encounter in normal riding.
2. they are a PITA for installation/fix
3. They are super heavy, affecting the gyroscopic phenomenon
4. They tend to run hotter.


Well said. I would not put heavy duty tubes in my AT for those reasons.
I did run them in my KTM200EXC which spent a lot of time pounding into rocks with 12 psi in the tires.

RayCollington 04-17-2019 12:59 PM

I guess once whatever has got through the tyre, the tube is likely to fail. I know that with mountain bicycle tyres there are some that are very puncture resistant by using kevlar or the like. Does anyone know if motorcycle tyres have a puncture resistant specification or rating. If it was possible to know that your tyres were the hardest ones available for anything to penetrate one might feel more confident.

Apologies for parading my ignorance of motorcycle tyres!

Rubicon Al 04-17-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayCollington (Post 302175)
I guess once whatever has got through the tyre, the tube is likely to fail. I know that with mountain bicycle tyres there are some that are very puncture resistant by using kevlar or the like. Does anyone know if motorcycle tyres have a puncture resistant specification or rating. If it was possible to know that your tyres were the hardest ones available for anything to penetrate one might feel more confident.

Apologies for parading my ignorance of motorcycle tyres!

TUbliss by Neutech will stop flats, it's a HD tube eliminator, and there is Rhinotire, a spray on liner for your tires.
Mountain bikers use a liner, but I'm not sure this would work for higher speed motorcycle tires.

Djairouks 04-18-2019 03:28 AM

Yesterday I watched a youtuber I like, doing the Paris-Dakar in africa with a friend and they put mousses in the transalp tires, I would say that is
the way to go or, can't remember the name but instead of one tube you can find balls that do the same role, you need a certain amount and can't
reinflate them unless taking off the tire though.

ProCycle 04-18-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon Al (Post 302177)
TUbliss by Neutech will stop flats, ....

A bike with the TUbliss system will get a puncture flat just like any other.

black99S 04-19-2019 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon Al (Post 302177)
TUbliss by Neutech will stop flats, it's a HD tube eliminator ...

Tubliss will not stop flats. The internal rim seal may stay pressurized at 100psi or whatever but the tire itself will go flat to zero psi with a nail in it.
Far as I know, Tubliss is not marketed for on-road or highway use.

superfunkomatic 04-19-2019 12:22 PM

I've used Ultra Heavy Duty tubes for most of my AT's life (about 30,000 kilometres) - no issues. They don't seem to generate any noticeable difference in heat or tire wear. I haven't had a single flat on the UHD tubes, two on the regular front tube in the first 3,000 kilometres.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome