Thick Tubes - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Thick Tubes

I am travelling from Germanyto Mongolia with K60 Scout tyres .
I am thinking to buy the following tubes (4.0-4.5mm thick), is there any performances/ ergodynamic changes if I use thick tubes as below :

21" Heavy Cross, 18F Cr 18 Zoll

normal tube thicknes is 1.5- 2.0 mm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:45 AM

I had a discussion with my mechanic for the heavy duty tubes. His son is a motocross competition rider, so he has a very solid view on this matter and he also owns an ATAS as well...

He told me that the heavy duty tubes are a must for competition where the pressures re pretty low and the hits against obstacles that may tear apart a normal tube, are inevitable. BUT, if it would come to the case of stepping on a nail, the heavy duty tube will get a nice puncture as the normal one would.

He definitely do not suggest it for normal use for the following reasons:

1. they do NOT prevent punctures of the type we would encounter in normal riding.
2. they are a PITA for installation/fix
3. They are super heavy, affecting the gyroscopic phenomenon
4. They tend to run hotter.
ajay_fidel1 and Hatchi13 like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
I had a discussion with my mechanic for the heavy duty tubes. His son is a motocross competition rider, so he has a very solid view on this matter and he also owns an ATAS as well...

He told me that the heavy duty tubes are a must for competition where the pressures re pretty low and the hits against obstacles that may tear apart a normal tube, are inevitable. BUT, if it would come to the case of stepping on a nail, the heavy duty tube will get a nice puncture as the normal one would.

1. they do NOT prevent punctures of the type we would encounter in normal riding.
Thanks!

after holding the tubes in hand , it seems like an extra (thin) tyre. I think I will go for the normal tubes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post

Well said. I would not put heavy duty tubes in my AT for those reasons.
I did run them in my KTM200EXC which spent a lot of time pounding into rocks with 12 psi in the tires.
Petros Galiatsis likes this.

Everything for your Dualsport or Adventure motorcycle. www.procycle.us
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:59 PM

I guess once whatever has got through the tyre, the tube is likely to fail. I know that with mountain bicycle tyres there are some that are very puncture resistant by using kevlar or the like. Does anyone know if motorcycle tyres have a puncture resistant specification or rating. If it was possible to know that your tyres were the hardest ones available for anything to penetrate one might feel more confident.

Apologies for parading my ignorance of motorcycle tyres!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCollington View Post
I guess once whatever has got through the tyre, the tube is likely to fail. I know that with mountain bicycle tyres there are some that are very puncture resistant by using kevlar or the like. Does anyone know if motorcycle tyres have a puncture resistant specification or rating. If it was possible to know that your tyres were the hardest ones available for anything to penetrate one might feel more confident.

Apologies for parading my ignorance of motorcycle tyres!
TUbliss by Neutech will stop flats, it's a HD tube eliminator, and there is Rhinotire, a spray on liner for your tires.
Mountain bikers use a liner, but I'm not sure this would work for higher speed motorcycle tires.
RayCollington likes this.

One cool & froody dude who knows where his towel is!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:28 AM

Yesterday I watched a youtuber I like, doing the Paris-Dakar in africa with a friend and they put mousses in the transalp tires, I would say that is
the way to go or, can't remember the name but instead of one tube you can find balls that do the same role, you need a certain amount and can't
reinflate them unless taking off the tire though.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon Al View Post
TUbliss by Neutech will stop flats, ....
A bike with the TUbliss system will get a puncture flat just like any other.
MPNM likes this.

Everything for your Dualsport or Adventure motorcycle. www.procycle.us
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon Al View Post
TUbliss by Neutech will stop flats, it's a HD tube eliminator ...
Tubliss will not stop flats. The internal rim seal may stay pressurized at 100psi or whatever but the tire itself will go flat to zero psi with a nail in it.
Far as I know, Tubliss is not marketed for on-road or highway use.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:22 PM

I've used Ultra Heavy Duty tubes for most of my AT's life (about 30,000 kilometres) - no issues. They don't seem to generate any noticeable difference in heat or tire wear. I haven't had a single flat on the UHD tubes, two on the regular front tube in the first 3,000 kilometres.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Ė Robert Louis Stevenson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page