OEM rear tire wore out in <4k miles... dated 2012! - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

OEM rear tire wore out in <4k miles... dated 2012!

Well I was on a trip and wound up getting price-gouged by a Canadian stealership because I had to buy the only tire they had in stock. Here is my OEM rear with 3950 miles:

It wore out in the center because I was taking a long road trip with gear on the back. It was getting scary in the rain! I looked at my front tire after getting home... and noticed it had dry rot between the treads. Hmmm, strange with 3k miles, indoor storage, and on a bike that is 6 months old (2017 model though). So I look at the date- manufactured in 2012. This tire is out of date by law in many states (7 years old requires replacement and tire shops aren't even allowed to repair them, and that is for CAR safety... arguably with a bike this becomes even more important). I did not get to check the date on the rear, but assumed was the same and the age contributed to the fast wear.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3038.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	48819  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelz View Post
Well I was on a trip and wound up getting price-gouged by a Canadian stealership because I had to buy the only tire they had in stock. Here is my OEM rear with 3950 miles:

It wore out in the center because I was taking a long road trip with gear on the back. It was getting scary in the rain! I looked at my front tire after getting home... and noticed it had dry rot between the treads. Hmmm, strange with 3k miles, indoor storage, and on a bike that is 6 months old (2017 model though). So I look at the date- manufactured in 2012. This tire is out of date by law in many states (7 years old requires replacement and tire shops aren't even allowed to repair them, and that is for CAR safety... arguably with a bike this becomes even more important). I did not get to check the date on the rear, but assumed was the same and the age contributed to the fast wear.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
I have other experiences. Just think that Honda Motorcycles are loosing it. The people at the Honda Shop are so cynical. I don't think it is a good motor company anymore. Used to be a fan of Honda. Have had three Honda bikes and some cars. Now I want to get away from Honda Motorcycles.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geirvmax View Post
I have other experiences. Just think that Honda Motorcycles are loosing it. The people at the Honda Shop are so cynical. I don't think it is a good motor company anymore. Used to be a fan of Honda. Have had three Honda bikes and some cars. Now I want to get away from Honda Motorcycles.
Well just to redress the balance. My previous 2017 Africa Twin was a dog with at least 6 warranty issues but I still loved the bike and bought another identical model (but 2018, so a few changes). So far at 4000 miles this one has been perfect so maybe Honda do learn from their mistakes.
Also after criticism a couple of years ago of the OEM dunlops I put on Conti (TK80 I think). These lasted less than half the mileage of the OEM's and the front looked like what you call dry rot in the treads. Never checked whether they were 'old' tyres but the Honda dealer would have had to order them in and so I doubt they were 'old'
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:39 AM

..... and another redress. My Honda dealership have been exceptionally good to me. Latest is that they gave me FOC, 3 lock kits for the panniers. This was because they had tried and failed to convert the locks to my new key and thought it wasn't possible until I showed them a thread from this forum. They gave me the 60 worth of parts to see if I can do it. (And I didnt even buy the bike from them).
Mike
MildlyInterested likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

NO chance I would ride on your cracking tire, and you shouldn't either, definitely not at highway speeds.

My bike is a 2017 model and has tires that were manufactured in 2012. Again, a 7-year old tire is not even permissible in many states. They definitely put "old" tires on my brand new bike. Totally unacceptable. This isn't a honda-bashing thread, I love the bike overall. I posted to urge others to check their tires and the dates on them.

You might be surprised by how many old tires are sold. Re-sellers buy up stock and sell them slowly over time. It happens all the time and it is why I generally avoid tire sales and specials. I have learned to always check the dates when I buy tires (tirerack once shipped me 2 year old tires even) but didn't think or feel the need to check the dates on a BRAND NEW HONDA motorcycle when I purchased last fall.

I am going to file a warranty claim and see where it goes, because this is a safety issue.
MrRobb likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:36 AM

IMHO If a manufacturer builds a product in 2017 and uses 2012 manufactured tyres, it is inexcusable. My experience of modern automobile and truck just-in-time manufacturing processes makes me think this could not happen. I going to check my 2018 AT now.
MrRobb likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:38 AM

We might be misreading the tyre labelling. My 2018 manufactured AT has Bridgestone Battlax A41 Adventure tyres fitted from new. The numbers on the sidewall do include a number 2012 which IMHO is not the year of manufacture. If I recall correctly the Battlax A41 Adventure tyre was only launched around the start of 2018. I need to check if the Japanese tyre labelling convention follows the European standards. In the mean time let's hope one of our forum experts will put us right.
MildlyInterested and MrRobb like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:51 PM

Just checked the Bridgestone A41 Battlax Adventure original equipment and the tyre marking complies with European and American requirements as one would expect. While my 2018 AT tyres do have 2012 written amongst all the other stuff, my tyres clearly show a manufactured date of 0518 (may 2018)
MrRobb likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:07 PM

I still have the OEM Dunlops and again.. next to another code is 2012. I do NOT for one moment believe these tyres are 7yrs old.
MrRobb likes this.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:25 AM

Motorcycle tire codes decoded https://fortnine.ca/en/motorcycle-tire-codes-decoded/
Date code MMYY follows the DOT string
MrRobb likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page