Improving brakes feel - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wombat View Post
A great Oz company for braided brake lines is HEL. https://au.helperformance.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djairouks View Post
Thanks but, the shipping costs from Oz will be higher than from Goodridge in UK, or Fren tubo in Italy, usually Italy is so close to Switzerland that it's the most efficient !
They're not Australian.

see below screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 11.11.17.png
Views:	15
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	48863  

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker View Post
They're not Australian.

see below screen shot.

Okay, well anyway I went with the Italian brand I linked, as shipping and customs issues I know go well from this shop and usually everything motorcycle related that's Italian is quality.

Yamaha XJ6 : the one who started it all (sold)
Kawasaki Versys 650 : 1st trail and sportbike predator (sold after accident)
Yamaha FZ8 : sexiest of them all (sold )
Yamaha MT-09 : waking the hooligan in me (sold not to die...)
Africa Twin : taming the hooligan slightly
Fazer 8 : the every day jack of all tades
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:32 AM

Hey guys-

See the link.
https://youtu.be/6LJiPDAr9f8

It's a cool and informative video. The comment thread at the bottom also has some good points...even motorcycle related. Figured that Honda knows what they are doing. Granted they likely went rubber lines for the cost benefit but one my assume that factors into how the ABS works. I too would prefer a firmer feel on the brakes but I'm concerned that the steel braided line may somehow effect how the ABS kicks in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:30 AM

I like my brakes, you have to mean them to come on. The contact patch at the front when it's cold, wet and slippy is minimal and I think would have the ABS working overtime with cold, wet hands.
Try a little challenge, run into a corner with a decent amount of lean angle and speed and apply the front till the ABS kicks in, as if a child or car has suddenly appeared in front of you, the ABS kicks in and the forks are fully loaded, the front reacts to deformations in the road surface and skips and pushes as there's no suspension left to cope and the tiny contact patch is working really hard to grip, that's possibly the reason Honda didn't equip the AT with jaw dropping stoppers.
I ride an XR400 and TY250 off road and generally cover the front brake with a finger and if I lived somewhere that had suitable terrain I'm sure I'd use the AT in a similar way and probably be glad of that initial lack of bite every time you hit an unseen hole or rock and grip the bars much harder to remain attached.
I'd guess that Honda has built Joseph's coat of many colours and you just need to tweak it to suit the riding you are mostly going use it for.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmer View Post
I'd guess that Honda has built Joseph's coat of many colours and you just need to tweak it to suit the riding you are mostly going use it for.
Pretty sure you've hit the nail on the head.. I've now got 12k miles on my DCT, ridden it in the Pyrenees, Scottish Highlands etc and still happy with the standard brakes. Could they be sharper? Yes, but I ride according to both the road/traffic conditions and also how I know the brakes react. I will no doubt change the pads when needed and at the same time put braided lines on...at which point I'll have to re-learn the braking capabilities of the bike.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:28 PM

I must not be very good at this motorcycle lark, having been riding for 40 years I find myself in awe of people who can feel the difference in braided hoses over brand new rubber on an abs system!!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoStu View Post
Hey guys-

See the link.
https://youtu.be/6LJiPDAr9f8

It's a cool and informative video. The comment thread at the bottom also has some good points...even motorcycle related. Figured that Honda knows what they are doing. Granted they likely went rubber lines for the cost benefit but one my assume that factors into how the ABS works. I too would prefer a firmer feel on the brakes but I'm concerned that the steel braided line may somehow effect how the ABS kicks in.

ABS has nothing to do with the brake lever or lines, it's not programmed to suit these, it looks at the wheels if they slip it kicks in, so maybe you might have more initial braking power with SS lines and ABS will kick in more often if the tires want to slip, but it doesn't make it worse or unsafe.

Anyway my front ABS has only kicked in once, while the back is pretty often on that's not very good, but really if I didn't have my Yamaha I would be okay with the brakes, because I wouldn't need to readjust my braking brain/hand power, when going from one to the other, that's my big concern because you get used to the nice firm braking of the Yamaha and then get surprised on the Honda your buttcheeks clunging on the saddle... no thank you I'll try to make both bikes behave in a similar fashion !

Must I remind people that KTM 1190 and 1290 have Brembo brakes on 19" wheels, which no one ever complained about and they still are amazing dirt machines, so I don't think more braking power on the Honda will be such an issue.
Plus I'm a trail braking nutt now and that's great on the Yamaha, while on the Honda I mostly can't feel much if I'm braking or not.

Last edited by Djairouks; Yesterday at 02:20 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 07:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaraderoTwin View Post
I know your feeling!. When I changed from my 2004 Varadero to the AT, I was expecting the brakes to be 100 times better. Turns out they give the same feeling. Decent braking and enough for most situations, but a bit of a "soft" feeling, as if there was not enough bite.
And comparing to Yamaha, I tried the 2019 Tracer 900, and those brakes work! power brakes ofc, but so strong and precise, you can go from 100kmph to 10 and then bring up the back tire and do a stoppie, all with nice smooth action. At some point I'll try the braided lines and different pads to see what it does.
Years back, I added stainless steel braided brake lines to my Vara also (XL1000V SD-02). Can't remember what brand or who the supplier was now. Certainly improved the feel and response of front and rear brakes. I'll probably go down that route with my 2017 AT DCT at some point.
Djairouks likes this.

regards
James Mc
Africa Twin Canada eh?

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Previous: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I received the SS lines, perfect sizes they fit as the OEM !

Though how do you torque correctly where the rectangular attachment parts connect to the ABS metal tubes ?
The banjo bolts I can use a toque wrench but on these connections you can only use regular nut wrench !

Also one paper says that the ABS might need a reset after install, anyone experienced this !?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page