Improving brakes feel - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Improving brakes feel

For 2 weeks since the summer arrived in Switzerland I have been riding my 2014 Fazer 8 and today going back on the AT, I am shocked and frightened how much more I need
to brake and there is only a 15Kg difference between bikes. I also have been working on my cornering and trail braking riding the Yamaha, but now I'm worried jumping from
on to the other because of the lack of braking and feeling on the Honda.

I read related threads saw some installed braided brake lines, but would anyone have recomended brake pads that have more bite or would I need to change the master cylinder ?
All opinions are welcome, I've never really looked in depth into braking as I never felt the need before, but now I feel it's needed.
gvmumbral likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:54 PM

Garage
Generally, braided steel brake lines and pads will make a world of difference. Good sources for the lines would be Galfer or Goodridge. For pads, I would check Galfer and EBC. Both make performance oriented HH pads which should give much better feel.
Djairouks likes this.

AT - Ready to see the world!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:52 PM

Not really adding anything to this thread other than the rear brakes on my 2018 feel almost useless...That's my biggest complaint about the bike.
gvmumbral likes this.

2018 Black AT
Vancouver, BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit-man View Post
Generally, braided steel brake lines and pads will make a world of difference. Good sources for the lines would be Galfer or Goodridge. For pads, I would check Galfer and EBC. Both make performance oriented HH pads which should give much better feel.
I know about Goodridge, one of my motorcycle web provider that are good has this, don't know about the quality of the brand !?
https://www.carpimoto.it/en-CH/Bike_...7-with-ABS.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
Not really adding anything to this thread other than the rear brakes on my 2018 feel almost useless...That's my biggest complaint about the bike.
I was fine until lately but yeah, the front is spongy and not progressive like on my Yamaha, then the rear is wooden and almost on off, though I don't really worry about it, because I use it mostly in the city and no risks of fall.

It's a bit crazy to realize that my Yamaha that was designed in 2010, with good old Yamaha brakes that you see on older 2004 R1, brakes a lot better...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:43 AM

A great Oz company for braided brake lines is HEL. https://au.helperformance.com/
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wombat View Post
A great Oz company for braided brake lines is HEL. https://au.helperformance.com/

Thanks but, the shipping costs from Oz will be higher than from Goodridge in UK, or Fren tubo in Italy, usually Italy is so close to Switzerland that it's the most efficient !
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:13 AM

I know your feeling!. When I changed from my 2004 Varadero to the AT, I was expecting the brakes to be 100 times better. Turns out they give the same feeling. Decent braking and enough for most situations, but a bit of a "soft" feeling, as if there was not enough bite.
And comparing to Yamaha, I tried the 2019 Tracer 900, and those brakes work! power brakes ofc, but so strong and precise, you can go from 100kmph to 10 and then bring up the back tire and do a stoppie, all with nice smooth action. At some point I'll try the braided lines and different pads to see what it does.
james.mc likes this.

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaraderoTwin View Post
I know your feeling!. When I changed from my 2004 Varadero to the AT, I was expecting the brakes to be 100 times better. Turns out they give the same feeling. Decent braking and enough for most situations, but a bit of a "soft" feeling, as if there was not enough bite.
And comparing to Yamaha, I tried the 2019 Tracer 900, and those brakes work! power brakes ofc, but so strong and precise, you can go from 100kmph to 10 and then bring up the back tire and do a stoppie, all with nice smooth action. At some point I'll try the braided lines and different pads to see what it does.
You know Yamaha has been using the same calipers for more than 20 years, on many models, the funniest is if you tried the Tracer 900 they are radial mount,
on my Fazer 8 they aren't but it still brakes better than the AT's Radial calipers…

But still it seems to me that the braking was better when I bought it, maybe the lines are dead, I did travel a lot in snow, rain and deserts, I will upgrade to
braided lines !
Travelling man likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
Have you tried riding downhill on a gravel forest service road standing and used the rear brake?
You'll be very glad it is sensitive enough you can find the edge of traction easily without locking it up - and yes - ride off road with ABS off - you can stop faster.

Brakes on the AT are well balanced, flawless on pavement and awesome on gravel.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by black99S View Post
Brakes on the AT are well balanced, flawless on pavement and awesome on gravel.
The 2 last days I almost crashed 2 times in the rear of cars and needed to add a lot of rear brake with front not to crash, so no on pavement the front isn't flawless, I can't brake as short as my Yamaha and I will address this issue as I don't ride enough off-road to keep the sloppy front that's more gravel friendly.

And BTW I ckecked pads and fluid even after 30'000 Km both are fine, so definitely think the front brake lines are crapping out.

Yamaha XJ6 : the one who started it all (sold)
Kawasaki Versys 650 : 1st trail and sportbike predator (sold after accident)
Yamaha FZ8 : sexiest of them all (sold )
Yamaha MT-09 : waking the hooligan in me (sold not to die...)
Africa Twin : taming the hooligan slightly
Fazer 8 : the every day jack of all tades

Last edited by Djairouks; 06-07-2019 at 06:24 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page