HyperPro Progressive Spring Upgrade. - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By james.mc
  • 2 Post By james.mc

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
HyperPro Progressive Spring Upgrade.

My previous long term bike was a 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V. Had it from new and kept it for 10 years. Other than service items I think I changed an indicator bulb once!
Initially I ran the Vara for a couple of years on the OEM springs and then felt an upgrade was needed. Without chucking huge funds at it, I opted for HyperPro progressive springs front and rear. I changed them myself. The spring swap made a huge improvment in absorbing bumps and overall handling, especially when loaded, 2 up for long distance touring. Worth every penny that I paid for them and a fully recommended upgrade.

Having owned my 2017 AT DCT for almost 2 years now I feel the time has come to repeat the process. I don't upgrade anything on a bike, especially tyres or suspension, until I have put in some distance on the bike, otherwise how would I know if it's an improvement over what I had or not? But the AT suspension seems a little weak/soft to me, especially the rear.

The HyperPro spring kit I have ordered will raise the bike by 20mm and will no doubt give me similar positive results/smiles that they did when I did the same to the Varadero all those years ago. For sure it will help when the bike is fully loaded.

I'm in the UK at present and will hand carry the items back to Canada with me.

Ordered from Rugged Roads in the UK: https://ruggedroads.co.uk/

1 x Hyperpro Shock Spring (Raises height by 20mm & eliminates excess sag) - CRF1000 (2016/2017)
Product no.: SP-HO10-SSB032-B 70.42

1 x Hyperpro Fork Spring Kit (Raises height by 20mm & eliminates excess sag) - CRF1000 (2016/2017) 110.00
Product no.: SP-HO10-SSA032

By the way, my previous experience with Rugged roads has shown me that their customer service is great! They will ship overseas from the UK also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyperpro_Springs_v01-1024x683.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	48899   Click image for larger version

Name:	SP-HO10-SSA032.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	48901  
superfunkomatic likes this.

regards
James Mc
Africa Twin Canada eh?

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Previous: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Last edited by james.mc; 06-12-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:46 AM

Please share your experience once you install them.

I also had 3 Varaderos in the past; 2 of them were fitted with HP springs. While it absolutely improved the stability of the bike, it did considerably affect the comfort making the bikes stiffer. I am very interested to see if the same happens with the AT.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:22 PM

I'm curious, too. I do a lot of touring and I'd like to know what you think it improves or how it changes the overall ride. I've also had a Varadero and it was a plush suspension but tended to float a bit at higher speeds in curves.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
Please share your experience once you install them.

I also had 3 Varaderos in the past; 2 of them were fitted with HP springs. While it absolutely improved the stability of the bike, it did considerably affect the comfort making the bikes stiffer. I am very interested to see if the same happens with the AT.
With my Vara, it did as you have experienced. With the HyperPro's I noticed that smaller bumps were better absorbed but the springs were generally more stiff, resisted bottoming out which the stock Vara springs, when fully loaded for 2 up touring. For me, overall handling was improved over the stock OEM setup. They were worth the outlay.

With my 2017 AT DCT I'm expecting similar results. I'm certainly looking for the suspension to stiffen up under heavy loads/bumpy terrain compared to the stock OEM setup. I weigh 94Kg by the way.

I'll get back to you for sure, but I'm away for about another month. I'll fit them when I return and post a report.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vim8_sicily_june_2006_0883.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	48921  

regards
James Mc
Africa Twin Canada eh?

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Previous: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:20 PM

Yes please. Im the same weight as you so very interested to hear. Would like to know also if youve tweaked the stock suspension and at what values for now, while you wait to install the hp.thanks

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page