Front end bounce - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 12Likes

post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:01 PM

Had my tires changed recently and was looking at the front wheel on the balancing machine and its not perfectly round. That alone could be enough to create that bouncing effect at certain speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:19 AM

I hope you addressed the out-of-round condition before you accepted the work.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:35 AM

It wasnt planned he had another customer after, but he offered to try to adjust the spokes to help make it rounder. I'll take another appointment if I dont just order tubeless wheels instead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Bounce

Well I have my bike back from the fuel pump replacement and rebalance of front wheel. Allegedly the proper torque method was followed on the front axle pinch bolts and I still have the front end bounce at 30 mph.
Speedo007 likes this.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasdog View Post
Well I have my bike back from the fuel pump replacement and rebalance of front wheel. Allegedly the proper torque method was followed on the front axle pinch bolts and I still have the front end bounce at 30 mph.

Did they notice the wheel wasnt perfectly round?
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 AM

I ended up taking my front wheel in for a rebalance. I pointed out there was a flat spot in the rim. They did add a tad bit more weight, but said the rim was still in spec. 😕
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:11 PM

@Speedo007 . They did not say it was out of round. I’m just so glad my bike is back and running that I am not real concerned with the wheel hop at this point.
Speedo007 likes this.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphib View Post
I ended up taking my front wheel in for a rebalance. I pointed out there was a flat spot in the rim. They did add a tad bit more weight, but said the rim was still in spec. 😕

Did you see any difference?
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo007 View Post

Did you see any difference?

Yes. At high speed it was dead stable which was my main concern and reason for bringing it in. There was a bad vertical bounce after 70 mph. (motoz tractionator GPS).......the 30mph bounce is still there though. I also cranked up the rear preload all the way. (I'm 195lbs) so I'm not sure which did the trick. Ill be putting on a new set of tires soon and upgrading the suspension... I'll revisit the front wheel after.

Last edited by Amphib; 09-14-2019 at 04:58 PM.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphib View Post
Yes. At high speed it was dead stable which was my main concern and reason for bringing it in. There was a bad vertical bounce after 70 mph. (motoz tractionator GPS).......the 30mph bounce is still there though. I also cranked up the rear preload all the way. (I'm 195lbs) so I'm not sure which did the trick. Ill be putting on a new set of tires soon and upgrading the suspension... I'll revisit the front wheel after.

On another forum someone had his front rim replaced under warranty and the bouncing stopped. Both with stock tires and the new Shinkos, I've never had high speed vibrations, it's always in the 40-70km/h (25-45mph) range that I get this bouncing front end. I played with the forks adjustments but it had absolutely not effect. Preload on the rear is already pretty near the max, I'm 200lbs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page