Front end bounce - Page 4 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 12Likes

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo007 View Post

On another forum someone had his front rim replaced under warranty and the bouncing stopped. Both with stock tires and the new Shinkos, I've never had high speed vibrations, it's always in the 40-70km/h (25-45mph) range that I get this bouncing front end. I played with the forks adjustments but it had absolutely not effect. Preload on the rear is already pretty near the max, I'm 200lbs.

I read the same. They told me mine was in spec, tho it's obvious to me there's a flat spot. I unfortunately didn't check it when new. There was no bounce with the original dunlops. I have hit some rocks at pretty high speed, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Right now I'm just happy it runs smooth at highway speeds. I'll push the issue a little more once new tires are on..... I'm hoping maybe its the tire. There's a massive amount of weight on it.
Speedo007 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:08 PM

Garage
I don't experience a bounce on my AT but did on my MB5, quoting a post I did recently regarding bar shake but could also be the cause here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrDeacon View Post
Also, I just recently fixed a front wheel hop on my MB5. I tried balancing and it didn't help at all. I put the tire on the balance stand and rotated just looking at the tire itself and I could see it wasn't even. Turned out the tire wasn't seated correctly/evenly on the rim so it was a bit off center causing it to go up and down while riding. Lubed it up good and then reinflated/reseated and all is good now, hop is gone. Doubt its your issue but thought I'd mention it as sometimes its something we easily overlook.

'17 Africa Twin, '82 MB5, '78 XL250s, '72 CB350K4
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrDeacon View Post
I don't experience a bounce on my AT but did on my MB5, quoting a post I did recently regarding bar shake but could also be the cause here.
Yeah could have been but I highly doubt it as the stock tires did the same thing as the current Shinkos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:30 PM

Took an appointment at the dealers. They said they'll check it out, but since bike has 7000km on it, they're not sure Honda will replace it (even if it was doing it since day 1). Based on my experience with Honda warranty claims so far, I don't have very high hopes, but we'll see.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 08:35 AM

A made of video of how one owner was able to resolve his front end bounce. Worth a try for what it cost (0$).
https://youtu.be/fFJ-FaG8WPg
Guri likes this.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:52 AM

Dealer checked the front rim, it was well within specs. He even tried dropping the bike on the forks by 5mm as some have successfully done. It's improve very slightly, but you can still feel the front end bounce. Waiting to see what Honda will do with the results. If they don't replace anything I have to pay for all the labor....

Last edited by Speedo007; 10-01-2019 at 05:44 PM.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
A made of video of how one owner was able to resolve his front end bounce. Worth a try for what it cost (0$).
https://youtu.be/fFJ-FaG8WPg
This is how I resolved mine. I also changed out the Fork Oil for heavier weight...
Speedo007 likes this.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxswift View Post
This is how I resolved mine. I also changed out the Fork Oil for heavier weight...

How much do you weigh? I'm thinking maybe changing oil and springs as a last try, unless Honda offers to rebuild or replace the forks...which I know has been done for at least one other rider.

Last edited by Speedo007; 10-02-2019 at 04:22 PM.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
How much do you weigh? I'm thinking maybe changing oil and springs as a last try, unless Honda offers to rebuild or replace the forks...which I know has been done for at least one other rider.
I'm very heavy and I ride with full bags so the bike is pretty weighted down. I did NOT change the springs. Just the oil and the video is correct to set all those adjustments back to stock per the Service Manual. Then adjust from there for rider. I have the service manual but that Video is accurate.
Speedo007 likes this.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:50 PM

I weigh 250 and I don't have my ATAS's suspension cranked all of the way up. Too high of tire pressure, too much dampening, too much preload (front or rear) can make the front end hop or skitter. Also - how far back are you sitting?

Find another AT rider near you and duplicate their tire pressure and everything else - and let them ride it. Or find someone that does race prep and pay them to tune the suspension for you.

I had the neighbor kid playing with the dials on top of my forks and his dad stood there telling me to let him do it because he likes turning knobs. It took me weeks before I got the bike handling right again - and I knew it was just from the adjusters on top of the forks...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page