Fisxing a flat tire on the road - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Fisxing a flat tire on the road

Wondering how I would get my front wheel high enough off the ground to get it off to repair a flat on the road? Getting ready to ride the MABDR next month...and cannot figure out how I would be able to get the front wheel off...how to jack up the bike if necessary? I have spare tubes and tire irons, etc. and compressor and tire plugs and all that ****, but has anyone had to do a front tube change on an AT while in the back country???
Invin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:12 PM

There are a number of packable props to hold the bike up. Or you can use whatever is handy in the area - a log, rock, etc.
On my old KTM990 a pannier turned out to be the perfect height. Put bike on centerstand, lift front end by hand and kick pannier under the skid plate.
When my AT is loaded down the weight of the luggage takes most of the weigh off the front wheel (when up on the centerstand). Removing the front wheel is enough to make the bike tilt back onto the rear tire.
Cuchulainn and Invin like this.

Everything for your Dualsport or Adventure motorcycle. www.procycle.us
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:29 PM

Centre stand will lift it off the ground. You can always stick something underneath the skid plate to prop it up. With any kind of weight on the rear of the bike, it'll sit up off the ground on the rear tire. Particularly if you have luggage on the back. I've done this twice on the same trip. Not too difficult with basic hand tools and a compressor.

You can also carefully lay the bike on something soft on its side and remove the wheel that way. Although, then you have to pick the bike up off the ground again, which is less than fun.
Drum Dog, Cuchulainn and Invin like this.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." – Robert Louis Stevenson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:40 AM

Another trick is to pack a ratcheting strap and find something on the ground to secure the back end to while on your centre stand.

Your attitude determines your altitude.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:45 AM

Garage
Whatever the method of raising the front, be sure to loosen all the bolts before raising the front. Makes it easier especially if they are stubborn.
Cuchulainn and Im_Too_Tired like this.

'17 Africa Twin, '82 MB5, '78 XL250s, '72 CB350K4
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias View Post
Another trick is to pack a ratcheting strap and find something on the ground to secure the back end to while on your centre stand.

I Used this a couple weeks ago while on a ride. No flat, just wanted to see if it would work. I attached one end to the luggage rack and the other end around a small rock. a few clicks on the strap and the front is off the ground. Works around a small tree as well.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:21 AM

Done a couple of front AT flats. Rock, log or side case jammed under the bash plate gets the front off the ground.
Loosen chain side pinch bolts then loosen axle nut.
Loosen brake side pinch bolts.
Remove 4 lower fender bolts.
Bang on loosened axle nut to knock out axle (protects threads).
Remove axle nut and axle.
Roll tyre forward and Twist lower fork legs so brake calipers clear tyre. Helps if tyre is flat. Careful to not scratch rotors. Helps if 2nd person manages legs while you remove rim.
Is not necessary to remove a caliper but it does make it easier.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:34 AM

Just lay it over and practice your pickup technique. 8^)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Lot of good ideas there! I have ordered a lift stick, and I have ratchet straps. And I can pick the AT up by myself...found that out when I was backing it out of a camping spot and the front end hit a tree root and snapped to the side...bike flopped right over, I could not stop it. Went around to the throttle side, grabbed the handlebar and lifted it right up. My biggest problem is getting the bugger up on the center stand...it seems to be so top heavy if you are not very, very careful, it wants to fall over.
ProCycle likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:55 PM

Much easier to convert the wheels to tubeless and then you simply use a standard repair kit and your gone in under 15 minutes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page