Tyres - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes

Old 08-31-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Tyres

Iím changing to tubeless tyres on my 2016 AT, does anyone have a recommendation of tyre choice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2019, 05:43 PM

Pirelli scorpions very gd road tyre dry or wet they give great confidence ... donít go off road so cannot comment. I switched to tubeless with the rugged roads set up ... seems to work a treat
Old 09-02-2019, 12:52 AM

scorpion rally str are good on the asphalt and pretty decent on gravel in my book. Lots of tubeless options depending on where/how you ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatporker View Post
Pirelli scorpions very gd road tyre dry or wet they give great confidence ... donít go off road so cannot comment. I switched to tubeless with the rugged roads set up ... seems to work a treat
How much did it cost? Is it the bartubless system?
Old 09-02-2019, 09:31 AM

https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00c...ucts/SMPBT-18B

Here is the link Jonathan and Annette couldnt be more helpful
Old 09-02-2019, 09:55 AM

I wish I could find it now. There is a good youtube video on converting your OEM rims to tubeless. DIY for about 45 USD to do it. But one thing the guy mentions in the video is the front rim does not have a "bead", I believe that is what it was. Not a huge issues but he mentions some potential issues without one... Worth looking for on youtube

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Old 09-03-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
But one thing the guy mentions in the video is the front rim does not have a "bead", I believe that is what it was. Not a huge issues but he mentions some potential issues without one...
It is a huge issue if you were hoping to do a plug and inflate tire repair, but the bead seal broke when the tire deflated, and you can't get it to seal again with your on the bike tire repair stuff.

I tell people who seal the front rim to at least do a test deflation, and get a feel for how likely the bead seal will remain intact in a flat (in my case, 0%), how hard it would be to reseat roadside (in my case very). Will you have a tube handy in case you can't inflate your tire without one? Tire levers, lube, etc.?
AdvArt likes this.

Last edited by davidji; 09-03-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:32 AM

For tyres, it all depends what you want from them.

For me the best front tyre is the Continental TKC-80, this gives enough 'bite' on gravel to allow for good grip and decent braking ability. Mine has done over 12,000km and still looks OK. A lot of that 12,000km has been road riding at decent speed with fast cornering. It works well on the seal and is lasting long enough, while not too expensive - I'll replace this with the same when the time comes.

I had a Mitas E07 which lasted around 10,000km and I've replaced that with a Mitas E07+
I'm very happy with the new tyre and find that it works well on the road, while being OK on anything other than slippery mud (most tyres are rubbish on mud, unless they are the sort of tyres that are rubbish on sealed roads). I think the E07 is closer to being a 60/40 than a true 50/50 tyre, but it is performing well for my use and will hopefully give a decent mileage, over 8,000km will make me happy enough to replace with the same when the time comes.

I'm using the TL (Tubeless) versions rather than the TT (Tube Type).

I won't use a TKC-80 rear tyre because they are expensive and don't last, making them very uneconomic. If you have money to burn and want a more off-road oriented tyre then you might be happy to use this tyre.
superfunkomatic likes this.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
It is a huge issue if you were hoping to do a plug and inflate tire repair, but the bead seal broke when the tire deflated, and you can't get it to seal again with your on the bike tire repair stuff.

I tell people who seal the front rim to at least do a test deflation, and get a feel for how likely the bead seal will remain intact in a flat (in my case, 0%), how hard it would be to reseat roadside (in my case very). Will you have a tube handy in case you can't inflate your tire without one? Tire levers, lube, etc.?
X2, this is a big issue on the front rim if you go tubeless. I do all my own tire changes and actually use the MT90ATs but with tubes and stock rims.
I would never get that to seat without a tube on a trail with a trail compressor...Even the rear is difficult using my garage compressor.
Change the rims if you really want to go tubeless and are aggressive enough off road to have to worry about low pressure off road use where beads do come off...
superfunkomatic likes this.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:04 AM

I did 3M tubeless conversion front and rear. When on a trip I carry a front tube and tire irons just in case the bead breaks because I don't think I could get it to re-seat with portable compressor. Compressor and plugs are always on bike. Not as concerned about the rear bead, but if i cant get it to seat, in a pinch i can use the front tube in the rear to hobble home/garage.
As stated previously I am currently running pirelli scorpion rally str's front and rear and really like them. I may go knobbier on front next tire (anakee wild or TKC80). Previously had a shinko 705 on rear that worked well for my needs. I dont think I would run the 705 on the front just 'cuz I like a firmly planted front on loose gravel and I dont think it would be any better than the old style tourances/anakee 2's I used to run on my vee strom. I dont mind the rear skating around on gravel but prefer the front to bite more.
maddoggie501 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in