Front, back or both tubes on a tour? - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:12 AM

Good advice, what brand / model of HD tubes do you recommend?

'18 ATAS dct leftover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Too_Tired View Post
Good advice, what brand / model of HD tubes do you recommend?
What size for the rear? Canít find a 150 70 18 tube! Would also like to know what brand as well.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:19 PM

Bad experience with not bringing both tubes on a long journey. Bring both! Find room. The alternative is a pain in the arse - i.e. not riding.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Ė Robert Louis Stevenson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:25 PM

https://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...r-tube-us.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATwin18 View Post
What size for the rear? Canít find a 150 70 18 tube! Would also like to know what brand as well.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Ė Robert Louis Stevenson

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLGeorge View Post
Let me point put that a front tyre puncture is a very rare thing - it only happened to me once in almost 40 years of motorbiking, and I know this is also the case with most riders. I personally take both inner tubes with me as if I put the 21" in the back then I will need to change it soon with an 18" and prefer to avoid that.
I had two front punctures in three weeks. I even considered selling the bike.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox966 View Post
I had two front punctures in three weeks. I even considered selling the bike.
2 punctures in 3 weeks is not the bikes fault.
Maybe an argument could be made against the tyres/tubes.

Why drive when you can ride!
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone used or hear of kevlar tyre liners?
I had some on my mountain bike when I was touring and never had a direct puncture through this liner. An I am talking about +8k kms. Wore the tyre out without a puncture!

Searching for them seems to bring up bicycle tyre liners. Do we not have something like this for adventure bikes?

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercore View Post
2 punctures in 3 weeks is not the bikes fault.
Maybe an argument could be made against the tyres/tubes.
I agree itís not the bikeís fault but the bike has tubed tyres. Changing it to tubeless as I donít use it on hard off road situation where lowered pressure or roadside repair is essential...was the main driver of my thought. Buying Kineo -the only real solution in my opinion - for 2.5k euroes ,..,is like a joke. So i considered selling the bike....but like it enough that is still with me.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox966 View Post
I agree itís not the bikeís fault but the bike has tubed tyres. Changing it to tubeless as I donít use it on hard off road situation where lowered pressure or roadside repair is essential...was the main driver of my thought. Buying Kineo -the only real solution in my opinion - for 2.5k euroes ,..,is like a joke. So i considered selling the bike....but like it enough that is still with me.
Heheheheeeee, I see it now.
Yeah 2.5k is a steep price, but you also get a very nice set of wheels that will also be sellable for maybe 1.5k at the end.
Or sell the stockers when you get the new ones. I have no idea what stockers are going for, but its not zero.

Personally I would not extrapolate a trend from 2 punctures in short succession. It is just a matter of probabilities. You may go without any for the next 100k.

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercore View Post
I heard somewhere that if you take one spare tube, it should be the front one because in an emergency it can be used to replace the rear tube. Is this true?
If so, what is the down side of this? Do you need to get the right tube in ASAP i.e. this is really only an desperate emergency fix.
If not, then I guess one of each is recommended on a tour.

My mechanic told me that the back one is the one you should take if you only take only one.
His reasoning is that the front one is far more readily available. I am in Europe and intend for a trip in Italy, so this could be a regional thing.

Can anyone comment on this

thanks
The front one is smaller and lighter, the front one will fit in the rear and run for as long as it takes you to get a new rear. A rear will NOT fit in the front. If you ride a lot on sealed roads do not get UHD tubes (stick with HD or standard)they get very hot and in a lot of cases will start to melt the rubber on the surface of the tube. If you ride on gravel and rockey roads you will typically get front punctures with a tube (big hit, tube gets pinched on rim) If its objects on the road its typically the rear that gets holed or staked by an object yes the front will stand up an object for the rear to run it over.
If you go tubeless (KTM just use a rubber strip over the spoke nipples) I use Outex, you will cut the punctures down by at least 50% more like 80% you can still run air pressures down at 22PSI front and back but the front might get a bit beaten up with big rock strikes. I still carry front and back tubes in bags on the front crash bars. Take patches as well , put the spare front in the one you hole then swap back out that night if you only carry a front and you have put it in a rear.
Mastercore likes this.

Last edited by SkipD; 09-09-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page