Front, back or both tubes on a tour? - Page 4 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookem View Post
This last one the dealership stepped up and instead of patting me on the head, charging me to change it out and sending me out the door, they realized the same thing - this isnít right. The bulk of the miles are interstate commuting. Iíd say 2500 are my Ďadventure ridesí on two lane state roads, county dirt roads and keep trails. All flats happened on the highway commute.

The two tubes they used, and the one I used, were all the same Ďpuncture resistantí brand and type. This time they suggested going with a standard thickness, name brand tube (Michelinís) as their thought is there was too much rubber and created heat which wore the tube down. The Michelin, while thinner, is made of better rubber and wonít get as hot.

We will see.

I aLao put on a new set of tires. Off to Utah and Burr Trail Road next week and I donít want to have to deal with a tube issue.

Safe riding!
Bookem
Repeated flats on a tire make me think there is something in the tire carcass or rim causing it, like a piece of debris or even a manufacturing defect in the tire. Were you having the same dealership fix your flats? I went in for an oil filter and crush washers recently and watched someone change two dirt bike flats. The first one caught my attention because of how rough he was being on it. I don't want my rims treated like that. But what really got me was how he pulled the tube out, stuck another one in without wiping the inside of the tire or the rim, and without putting any air into the tube to keep it from getting pinched or twisted. I know that changing tires is the first chore above sweeping the floors to the shops - so I don't trust anyone but me to work on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
What objects caused these punctures?

I've had many rear punctures, no front. I've read that the front tire stands the object up so it punctures the rear. Obviously that applies to some things and not others.
Twice the shop could not find a cause, once there was a screw. The last repair we also replaced the rim tape ,just in case

Have fun, or don't, your choice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page