AT suspension setup for heavy riders - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 15Likes

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
The problem when you don’t have proper preload especially in the rear is that it unweights the front. With a light front end it will drift, shimmy, and feel unstable. You need to get that weight ‘even”. I bought the correct weight spring from Cogent Dynamics and what a difference. The bike absorbs bumps better, it corners better and is more stable. I can also attain the correct preload for the rear of the bike even loaded. The spring was only. 150ish
You only changed the spring and didn't touch the valving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 07:59 PM

Thanks for these numbers - I'll give 'em a shot (I'm closer to 300 lbs tho)
Lordnikon likes this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo007 View Post
You only changed the spring and didn't touch the valving?
No. After installing the spring, then the shock on the bike, I took it down to the shop that services and maintains my other bikes including my dedicated track bike. Point being I trust them. They helped me set it up as well as the front. We got the rear working good enough. Ride it and see they said.

I did and it felt fine. No bobbing, no compacting, no bottoming. Handled the washboard section of an old mining trail.

But me being me, I had them order an Öhlins for the rear and whatever they thought necessary for the forks.

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:53 AM

I'm in Colorado as well. I would like to ask your opinion about shocks and forks, if you are willing.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:15 PM

Well I just want to thank ronbosgra for this post .

I have been struggling with the setup on my AT and thought I had got it to where I can live with it.
So after reading the original post I decided what the **** I've got the time let's try this.

WoW all I can say !!!

The bike is a different animal very much better behaved and more comfortable too.
I'm also still riding the original Dunlop's but plan to change to tourance next in the new year.

My bike was bouncy and felt unstable over anything that was not flat , even at speeds of 60 -70mph it had a slight front wobble I thought it the tyre .
I do have a different rear spring ( hyperpro ) but the rest is as described in the op.

Today's ride out to test speedohealer was a pure pleasure .

Road surface I would normally try to avoid I just rode on bumps potholes manhole covers cracks in tarmac all taken in stride and with speed and confidence.

Very very Happy .

Thanks for your advice on this setup.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:56 PM

What spring rate did you go with? I have heard different number for what the stiffness of the stock coil is. I have heard 8.3 and 8.8. In the case of the former, I would go with about a 9.0 and in the latter, a 9.5.

It is nice to get the stock components to work as well as one can but given how soft the rear is, a stiffer coil, as a minimum, will really help out.

I have a very good understanding of how dirt bike suspension works but maybe someone here can address this related issue. If you go to a stiffer coil, damping will need to be revised. I assume that a stiffer coil will need less compression damping as the new spring rate will add resistance to the compression effect and the reverse is true on rebound. More damping will be needed to keep the rear shock from springing back up to quickly. Yea or nay?

NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
I’m about the same size as the OP. Fooling with the stock settings made the ride “better” but the biggest problem IMO is the preload or lack of. There was no way I was only using 30% of the travel in the rear. More like 50% even with the preload all the way stiff

The problem when you don’t have proper preload especially in the rear is that it unweights the front. With a light front end it will drift, shimmy, and feel unstable. You need to get that weight ‘even”. I bought the correct weight spring from Cogent Dynamics and what a difference. The bike absorbs bumps better, it corners better and is more stable. I can also attain the correct preload for the rear of the bike even loaded. The spring was only. 150ish

The front swings are next. Suspension is always the first thing I invest in no matter what motorcycle I own or buy. It makes the biggest difference in how the bike feels.

I’m not saying don’t mess the suspension to get the stock set up better, but the right springs goes along way..

BTW, i ride 50/50 so YMMV
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 02:40 AM

https://www.performanceparts-ltd.com...he-africa-twin

I went with this spring , it's right I don't use as much preload and interesting to read about rebound , that's something I may look into. I bought the black one as didn't think purple would go with the red colour scheme 😆
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Update:

I bit the bullet and purchased the Hyperpro Kit front & back +20mm springs after a near collision this week. I still tweaked the suspensions a little and I must say; LESS compression damping and MORE rebound worked fairly well for some reason...

We still suffer from an underweight front and boy did I find out. I lost traction when accelerating to overtake a truck (I nearly rear ended it) and it got me so angry at the bike that I phoned Hyperpro when I arrived at work and explained everything (I'm Dutch and they are a well known Dutch suspension company). They are fully aware of the AT's suspension problem. They told me that after I install their products, I can come by the workshop and their mechanics will check and tweak my settings if needed, free of charge.

...DEAL!

I do want to highlight that the settings I posted here really do make the bike far more manageable for me than stock settings, but the front end is and will always stay underweight (thus less traction) because the back get's compressed to much.

my costs:
* €108,- Hyperpro Back spring (black).
* €170,- Hyperpro Front forks.
* €65,- Upside Down fork tool.
* €49,- Motorcycle spring compress tool.
* €15,- new fork seals.
* Fork oil is included in the Hyperpro kit.

I was told not to purchase the Heavy Duty version. That version is meant for serious globetrotters and heavy equipped police motorcycles.

All in all I spend around €420,-, something I tried to avoid by tweaking the stock settings. But hey, I found out first hand that you can't fight the laws of physics...

The kit comes with a complete and professional instructions manual. I'll also be following YouTube video's because I prefer seeing it too, since I never dismantled an upside-down fork before (only 'normal' ones). I'll be working on the bike this weekend, if my spring compression tool arrives on time...

I will give an update in this thread for anyone who's interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15706923153456887094826997393868_1570692377143.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	50677  

Last edited by ronbosgra; 10-10-2019 at 05:27 AM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbercruncher View Post
.... If you go to a stiffer coil, damping will need to be revised. I assume that a stiffer coil will need less compression damping as the new spring rate will add resistance to the compression effect and the reverse is true on rebound. More damping will be needed to keep the rear shock from springing back up to quickly. Yea or nay?
NC
A lot of people replacing the rear coil do also the shock revalving to have better rebound control. I'm not sure the stock valve is able to manage the stiffer spring: it could be very hard to correctly set it up.
Numbercruncher likes this.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 10:01 AM

I found that the forks are far better since I changed the settings , no more brake dive , and much more feel and control.
I probably will upgrade the springs at some point but just now they suit my riding , road only , and I got the heavy duty spring for two up touring 😁

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page