What tire pressures for a mix of road and offroad riding? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By AdvArt
  • 1 Post By VFMoore

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What tire pressures for a mix of road and offroad riding?

Hello all,

As I mentioned elsewhere I am a beginner to the adv world in general and riding offroad in particular. I fitted a pair of Bridgestone AX41s on my ATAS and took them on my first ventures offroad. They are absolutely great on the highway and the backroads that lead to my favourite offroad spots. However, once offroad I can't say I feel particularly confident with them. I had the bike "dancing" underneath me on a few occasions on pretty mellow stuff at very low throttle. I think its probably down to the pressures I'm running (too high). What pressure are you guys running on your knobby tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 09:42 AM

I run Karoo 3s. I tend to run my tires at 25-26 psi. I find it works well onroad and offroad. Sure it means a bit more wear onroad, but it also has better grip....
Dibbs likes this.

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
I run Karoo 3s. I tend to run my tires at 25-26 psi. I find it works well onroad and offroad. Sure it means a bit more wear onroad, but it also has better grip....
That's at the front tire, I'm guessing. Or do you run the same pressure front and rear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I was running 28/34 PSI on the front and rear respectively. I decided to keep the front at 28 but run the rear a little lower at 32. I will see how the bike behaves in the next few rides.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANSOME View Post
That's at the front tire, I'm guessing. Or do you run the same pressure front and rear?
Front and Rear..

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:30 PM

30psi in the back at the most on the dirt otherwise they just spin up, if you you have a compressor drop them down to 25 front & rear, you will notice a big improvement in grip & comfort & tyre wear will be better, I generally run 30 front & back with all my tyres
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:59 PM

For what it is worth, I have gained a lot of valuable information from the 90-odd videos that Bret Tkacs has made, and actually spent several days with him in off-road training. He addresses this in many videos, but this particular one you don't need to wait several minutes to find it, he talks about tire pressure right up front as the #1 mistake that riders make. https://youtu.be/1PJ9NpzezwM
ak864 likes this.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, 1972 CT2 Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:49 PM

On the stock tires for my 2018 AT on road front/rear 29/36 off-road 23/25. At the end of Oct2019 I put on TKC80's and have been running them 29/36 on&off road without issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page