Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Don't shoot me!!

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Red Maverick 
#1 ·
Sorry, but it is a genuine question

I have done many many thousands of miles on my Triumphs and Hondas and know exactly how long my normal tyres last on UK roads when ridden all year round.

But I bought a new ATAS and from the start got dealer to fit Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 - a tyre I never had before, so I now have 3.5k miles and a Euro trip due soon. I will most probably change to avoid worry, but if others are using them what sort of pessimistic mileage do you get.

#2 · (Edited)
Yea THATS a can of worms to open...

But basically the more dirt oriented you go the less road mileage you can expect and unfortunately that will also very per brand. But I ride a LOT (for the seasonal climate I live in) and I usually do a set a season on some 50/50’s My average mileage is around 9,000 on those type.

#3 ·
Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 are 90% road tyre, so you can expect a "normal" mileage from a turistic tyre (they usually last pretty long). Keep in mind that ONLY the rear has a double-compound, so probably, depending on the usage (load), the front is the one to keep the eye on. On my previous set of Bridgestone A41 (very similar to the Pirelli's) I have done about 12000 kms (that's about 7500 miles), but I've been twice in Sardinia (which is known for having abrasive asphalt :wink2:) and I did a good amount of highway.
I'm currently on a set of a ContiTrailAttack 3 (similar usage profile) which, after about 12000 kms, is still in good shape (front tyre is double compound). I think I can make it to 16000-18000 kms, which is really good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.