Lowering - Whats possible - Page 4 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes

post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 06:11 AM

Yes the full Krooztune kit was used on my bike. I had the 50mm version, and when I measured it accurately before and after with myself 95kg rider ON (this is the important thing for me) there was a 40mm lowering, as measured under the sump guard. I think they do the 50mm measurement with the bike fully supported so no load at all on any of the springs. The front fork kit has some different spacers to be used inside the front spring/shock assemblies so they need to be fully dismantled. As I understand it, the front is also lowered the same as the rear (which to me makes full sense) and is done in 3 parts - new internal spacers, existing internal spring stops adjusted slightly, and the whole shock units raised by 10mm in the head tri-clamps. So my bike is now that bit lower but the spring travel and rates are the same. This means it is better on the road but less agile off-road - which suits me fine as I am only doing very mild off-road stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 02:03 PM

Garage
When I picked my bike up 3 weeks ago I new I would have to lower it to feel comfortable with it. I looked at the Krooztune kit but got sticker shock when I saw the price. I had seen a thread about Soupy's adjustable like and thought for $130 bucks its worth a try. I ordered the link on a Monday afternoon and received it Thursday afternoon. I first measured the height of the bike to have an idea on how much I was going to lower it. The components in the link look to be of good quality and it took less than 45 minutes to install. Soupy's recommends dropping the forks tubes between 30 and 50% of what you drop the rear so I took the rear down 44mm and the front down 13mm. The only problem I had was that the bolt through the bottom of the shock was hitting the link adjuster nut so I took a grinder to it and removed the portion of bolt that protruded beyond the nut. ( see red arrow in pic). Overall I think its a good product for us shorter riders and the price is right. OH by the way I did not order the adjustable stand but at 44mm I should have, you can probably get away with it (I am) but its border line.

2016 Silver DCT # 000051
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 09:22 AM

Hi Fster,
I'm very interested in one myself and I could ask the manufacturer these questions but I always like to get a true users reply.
Now that you've had the Soupy's fitted for a week or more, how is it ?
After having to cut that bolt, any other problems?
Is it easy to adjust ?
Also it looks to me adjustment is done like doing your Drive Chain adjustment, a bit both sides, so what or how do you get the alignment right both sides? or does it not matter if one side is 3 or 4 mm more than the other?
Thanks in advance,

The Burger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 06:45 PM

Garage
Burger when you receive your link it is preset to exactly the same length for both sides. You first install it then start your adjustment and be sure to adjust both sides equally. I first had my son hold the bike up perfectly level with a spirit level across the rear rail. I then put some tape on a point on the rear rail and measured from the ground up to a mark I made on the tape. I went equal flats on both sides of the adjusters to one full turn then remeasured. I ended up going two full turns on each side which equaled a reduction in rear height of 44mm. I then dropped the fork tubes 13mm following the manufactures recommended 30 to 50 percent of the rear. I am very pleased with the results, the bike rides just fine, I see no ill effects from lowering. There is one think that I wish I had done before lowering and that is to mark the height of my head light beam on the wall at a set distance and then check it and readjust after lowering.

2016 Silver DCT # 000051
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 07:29 AM

Hi Fster and thanks for the reply mate, ok, got all that, sounds easy enough.
Doh! that bloody headlight, there is always something thanks for the heads up.
Enjoy your ride.

The Burger.
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:27 AM

Garage
Hi all!

By the fact I've to lower my AT (I'm "only" 162 in hight but, that's not the main problem from my point of view. The main reason is: Also the passenger seat is very high and it's not really comfortable to get on and off if you are less then 170 cm) I'd like to join this threat too.

@wytco: Metisse in Germany offer the same/a similar product. I was talking to them last week and was told this part just take more tenssion from the spring. This means, if you sit on the bike it will go down a little bit more than normal. Unloaded the AT will have the same hight as within standard configuration. In addition you have to stick the fork through (which I don't like).

I'm planning to do the lowering using componets made by Wilbers. Front: Other - progressive - springs, redution bushings and zero friction oil. Rear: New - shorter - shock absober.

This brings me to my next question: Has anybody done a lowering by using such Wilbers parts I've explained above?

Greetings, gerhard

Last edited by kari4711; 10-27-2016 at 12:30 AM.
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:41 AM

Garage
Just a "post count" +1 - please ignore!
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:42 AM

Garage
So, now I've more than 4 posts and could post links too - wow!

Here is the link to the Metisse lowering part I mentioned earlier:

http://www.metisse.de/tieferlegungen...rica-twin.html

And here to Wilbers suspension:

http://www.wilbers-shop.de/index.php...da7eb77656bf03

Cheers, gerhard
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari4711 View Post
Hi all!

@wytco: Metisse in Germany offer the same/a similar product. I was talking to them last week and was told this part just take more tenssion from the spring. This means, if you sit on the bike it will go down a little bit more than normal. Unloaded the AT will have the same hight as within standard configuration. In addition you have to stick the fork through (which I don't like).
Hi Gehard, I have the Metisse spring plate on my bike and it certainly works, lowering the fronts alps helped.
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 12:24 AM

Garage
Hi wytco0!

What exactly you have done to lower the front?

Regards, Gerhard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page