In defense of the OEM tyres (and tubes) - Page 7 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 38Likes

post #61 of 95 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:33 AM

Interesting read....

I just put over 200 miles on the stock tires today. Gravel, loose dirt, pavement, water run-off across paved roads from snow run-off (through corners) and even a small water crossing on a trail. No issues. While I'm only a couple years into ADV riding, I've got over 30 years in road riding and road racing.

The tires weren't bad at all. Never found them sketchy or on the verge of sliding out. Front-end feel at times could be a bit numb, but never felt the front end was going to go away. I attribute some of the numbness from running the stock compression and rebound settings. A fairly steep loose off-road climb had the rear-end moving around but nothing out of control. And coming back down the steep grade didn't have the front end feel like it was going to wash out...

They were no worse or better than the Battlewings that came on my Super Tenere and Tiger XCx. Now that doesn't mean I think they are great or that I'll keep them till they wear out. I'll be switching to something more 50/50 in the next few weeks. BUT I didn't find them to be as bad as some people are reporting... of course YMMV....

Last edited by AdvArt; 03-19-2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: typos and clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:34 AM

Isn't the tube getting pinched by an unseated tire an issue? It is with a bicycle. You definitely want that tire seated well to avoid pinching the tube. Isn't it the same with motorcycles?
post #63 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:16 AM

Over the course of 1500 miles (2400 km) I experienced two flats with the OEM rear tire. The first one was a nail, and the second was a crown staple. These were the only flats I have experienced on a motorcycle.

It made justifying the new pair of K60 Scouts to the wife much easier!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flats.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	24274  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:28 PM

Garage
I currently have over 9000 miles on my OEM Dunlop tires. I ride both dirt and pavement. These tires will for sure reach around 10,000 miles before I will change them. I agree that these tires are not great dirt tires, but no 90/10 tire is a great dirt tire. And yes, all 90/10 tires will slide out from under you on the wet grass. I am old (The over 70 something crowd), short, ugly, and fat weighing over 300lbs. I have been riding both dirt and pavement sense 1958. Never had a time that I quit riding, or ever been without a bike. These 90/10 Dunlop tires are not the greatest, but they are not that bad either.

Yes, I have already purchased my next set of tires. The new tires are 50/50 tires. I ride about 75% street and 25% dirt. I have to have another biker on the ride when riding way off road, as I can no longer pick up my bike. Lots of nice folks usually come running to help when I drop my bike when on the road or at filling stations. All most all my drops are when stopped. I travelled over 100,000 miles on my previous bike in the last 3 years. I had both my knees replaced sense July, so I only have 9000 miles on my AT that I have had since November. I have not been able to shift gears, so how good it is to have a DCT. However, the knees are now doing a lot better. So now I can once again stand on the pegs and RIDE!
eltel62, kondor, AdvArt and 2 others like this.
post #65 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
I currently have over 9000 miles on my OEM Dunlop tires. I ride both dirt and pavement. These tires will for sure reach around 10,000 miles before I will change them. I agree that these tires are not great dirt tires, but no 90/10 tire is a great dirt tire. And yes, all 90/10 tires will slide out from under you on the wet grass. I am old (The over 70 something crowd), short, ugly, and fat weighing over 300lbs. I have been riding both dirt and pavement sense 1958. Never had a time that I quit riding, or ever been without a bike. These 90/10 Dunlop tires are not the greatest, but they are not that bad either.

Yes, I have already purchased my next set of tires. The new tires are 50/50 tires. I ride about 75% street and 25% dirt. I have to have another biker on the ride when riding way off road, as I can no longer pick up my bike. Lots of nice folks usually come running to help when I drop my bike when on the road or at filling stations. All most all my drops are when stopped. I travelled over 100,000 miles on my previous bike in the last 3 years. I had both my knees replaced sense July, so I only have 9000 miles on my AT that I have had since November. I have not been able to shift gears, so how good it is to have a DCT. However, the knees are now doing a lot better. So now I can once again stand on the pegs and RIDE!
That's inspiring OCR. I need a new knee at some point. Sounds like about 4 months off the bike then?
Mike
post #66 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post

I totally agree with you. So out of curiosity what tires are you going with next. I went with a K60 scout rear and TKC80 front and like them a lot.
post #67 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 01:04 AM

Garage
I could not make up my mind between another K60 Scout rear with the TK80 front tire, as I have used this arrangement a few times over the years and it has been very successful. However, this time I will be giving the Midas E07 a try. I did not get the Dakar version. I know very little about these tires, but I will give them a try as soon as the stock Dunlops reach the wore out taps.

I was actually riding somewhat again about 4 weeks after each operation. I had to keep my feet on the highway pegs, as I could not reach the pegs. Did not have the AT after the first operation. So I regged a piece of tubeing to shift with. Could only break with my hand brake after both operations. Had the AT after the second operation. So, a few weeks after the operation using only the hand brake, I went from Texas to Arkansas for the Hillilly Hangout at the Hub. The other bikers there did help me a lot. The first day (which is dirt) I got a cramp in my leg, so a few miles into the dirt ride I had to drop out. Hard to ride dirt when you can only set on the seat using 90/10 tires. Felt like the yoke was a henge, and man did the rear end move about from side to side. The second day was asphalt twisties, which I had no trouble with. I was able to once again stand on the pegs again this week, so back to RIDING.......

Last edited by Old Can Ride; 05-24-2017 at 01:23 AM.
post #68 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 05:02 AM

Garage
I woner what happened here?

https://youtu.be/V7c0r4NbOow

Live to ride
post #69 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 07:44 AM

Sand... Caught him off guard with a fully loaded bike. He probably felt the bike start to wiggle/move around at the front-end and tried to fight/steer it through the bars. Not the correct way to handle sand. BUT again, he was caught off guard with a loaded bike and passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niterunnr View Post
I woner what happened here?

https://youtu.be/V7c0r4NbOow
post #70 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 12:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
Sand... Caught him off guard with a fully loaded bike.
Yeah, I got that part, but it was so sudden. I guess I have to brush up on some skills or take a course as that bit looked hard enough for a cruiser to ride on and I wouldn't have done any better I don't think.

Live to ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page