In defense of the OEM tyres (and tubes) - Page 8 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 42Likes

post #71 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:25 PM

Not that I know much about the subject but it seemed to me that the waggling was being caused by the heavy loaded back end?
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 08:49 PM

Need lots of throttle on a big heavy girl to keep the front tire from tapping out.
post #73 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:00 PM

There are a number of factors that could possibly have contributed and quite probably did.

First of all is speed, appears to fast for all the relevant conditions. Really needed to be standing to control the weight/balance of the bike through the pegs. I suspect the tyres were not dedicated off-road with a block pattern on the side. In sand the sidewall becomes relevant. If you’re not using suitable tyres then no amount of skill is going to assist once the situation has initiated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:56 PM

I am coming up to need new tyres (currently coming up to 6,000 miles) and will be changing beginning of July with 8,000mile/annual service.
I only ride roads so after looking around and some advice from the dealer am going for Bridgestone A40's.
These are road biased so will probably suit me better.
It ended up as a choice between Conti trail attack 2; Michelin Anakee 3 or the bridgestone. will update after I get a few miles on them.

As for the OEM Dunlops no major issues but are a bit twitchy in the wet so need to keep off white paint, manhole covers etc. to avoid any major dramas.
post #75 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 03:02 PM

Red face

Service today and new tyres fitted. The Bridgestones are not available in the size yet (for tubed tyres anyway) so the Conti trail attack 2 were fitted.
following initial ride home - as usual the long way so about 50 miles tyres seem really good on the road (will only use on road so these road biased tyres seem perfect) much quicker to respond and confidence inspiring in the bends.

Will feedback when more miles have been put on them.
post #76 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 07:17 PM

Wink Ok in rain not so much in snow

Well, I thought the OEMs did OK in the wet, but a July Snow, not so good had to pull over and wait for the melt. (luck that was only 15 minutes or so).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19944597_10211858141882996_1514409630086485944_o.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	28026  

Last edited by knoxswift; 07-09-2017 at 07:50 PM.
post #77 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=I replaced them with Motoz Tractionators because I will be doing a lot of off-road riding. What are they like on wet tarmac? - I've no idea, but considering that they are knobbies I'm not expecting too much and will ride accordingly. Street tyres, on the other hand, I do expect to be better performers in the wet, and the OEMs weren't - for me anyway. I had a good look a the inside of them btw and there was no sign of cracking so maybe that was a bad batch.
As far as tubed tyres go, yes tubeless are much easier to fix a puncture on and if I were in Europe I'd take tubeless any day because you are never that far from civilisation, but I can see Honda's thinking here if you are in places like Africa, Canada or Australia where you can easily be 500kms from the nearest habitation. Imagine a hole too big to plug effectively, or trying to get a tubeless back on the bead with a pocket compressor or hand-pump.[/QUOTE]

Have to agree, last thing I would want is a hole too large to patch in the middle of now where.
And the ability to drop the pressure down low for the sand is important too.
Heavy duty tubes and tough Tractionators Adventures are a must in Outback Australia along with spare tubes and patches.
The Tractionators Adventures are very good in the wet too on sealed roads, ridden up and down the ranges here in the rain no problems, but they really shine out in the bush.
So many shark rocks I have hit, the tyres just take it with awesome traction when needed.

If you are just sticking to riding around on sealed roads or easy dirt close to help then yes tubeless would be better.
The stock tyres were good in the dry but yes the wet one had to be very careful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OutWest-16.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	882.0 KB
ID:	28058  

Last edited by Rotorpix; 07-09-2017 at 08:01 PM.
post #78 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 10:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorpix View Post
Have to agree, last thing I would want is a hole too large to patch in the middle of now where.
And the ability to drop the pressure down low for the sand is important too.
Heavy duty tubes and tough Tractionators Adventures are a must in Outback Australia along with spare tubes and patches.
The Tractionators Adventures are very good in the wet too on sealed roads, ridden up and down the ranges here in the rain no problems, but they really shine out in the bush.
So many shark rocks I have hit, the tyres just take it with awesome traction when needed.

If you are just sticking to riding around on sealed roads or easy dirt close to help then yes tubeless would be better.
The stock tyres were good in the dry but yes the wet one had to be very careful.
The Motoz Adv tires are better than the stock Dunlops when its wet and cold on tar roads (and every other loose serface). The Dunlops are good when you can get temp into them. I have learned to be very easy on them when you dont see the pressure come up on cold days, they basically have no grip at that stage. I have had several tank slappers on the highway in cold and wet conditions and a number of times where the front simply will not turn in but simply pushes wide, every time thats been when its cold.
To date I have been swapping between the Motoz Adventure and the Dunlops depending on the ride. I have 16,000km on the bike not sure what distance each tire has done as I often mix them as well. The Dunlops are now dead just replacing them with the Scorpeon Trail 2 (the 18inch rear is now available here in AU). I have also killed the Adventure front I think thats a good off road tire, I destroyed that in one day, it was just to hot and under to much stress, so if you are using that on sealed roads take it easy if its hot, keep away from the front brake.
I think the Adventure rear is a stunning tire you can give that a real workout on any serface and it will still give you 10,000 km of mixed running.
Will be interesting to see how the Pirelli's handle.
post #79 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 08:59 AM

SkidD, please give us a review on the Scorpion T2's...
post #80 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 06:24 AM

Had my AT for 700 mile and just had the first service, I hadn't done any wet riding in that time but found the standard tyres ok in the dry.
A week later I had a trackday booked and as my track bike was off the road I thought I'd ride down on the AT and do a few sessions, 7am and I set off in the rain and within 500 yds the rear spun up. I always run with TC on minimum and put it down to cold tyres or maybe something on the road. Wasn't long before it did the same in 2nd and 3rd gear both times at less than 3k revs. Hmmm. I turned TC off and gave it a handful in 3rd on a straight bit of road and the rear lit straight up and again when I shifted to 4th. From a stop it would spin in 2nd from 2k revs with little throttle. It was so bad I stopped to check the rear wasn't flat !, it wasn't so I continued to donington park with TC on and being very careful.

It continued to rain but I decided as I was there I'd so a few laps anyway, with TC set to 1 I ventured out, it was one of the liveliest track sessions I've done in 250+ trackdays, out the hairpins in 2nd it was spinning for miles, if I added some lean it would spin in 4th lol. I did 3 laps and decided enough was enough.

I can only think back to the 80's to recall tyres this bad in the wet, they have since been changed for scorpion trail II's and these give enough grip to pop the front up in the wet, the difference is amazing.

Interestingly in Italy there is a massive shitstorm about the standard tyres wet performance with articles in the mainstream press

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page