Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Could someone post the Dct reset procedure please

68K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  DoubleThumper 
#1 ·
It will be in the workshop manual somewhere and involve pressing the D-N rocker switch quickly in sequence something like DDNDN but there are other things needed and they vary from model to model (and in some cases model year)
Many thanks
Mike

#2 · (Edited)
DCT RESET

• Start the engine.
  • Select N
  • Stop the engine.
  • While pressing D, switch the ignition on, wait until the yellow ‘engine' symbol goes out on the dash, then release D
  • Press in fast sequence: DDNDN
  • On the dash, the letters D and S should appear together
  • Restart engine, allow it to idle.
  • After a few seconds, the letters D and S should go out.
Job done!

#3 ·
Was there anything else mentioned in the manual James? On the NC it didn't work unless you had got the engine up to working temperature first and on the pre 2016 model you had to keep the throttle closed whereas on the 2016 bike you had to hold the throttle wide open while you pressed the sequence
Mike

#5 ·
On the NC bikes they gradually got a bit unpleasant (as in stop/start) to ride at low speed in traffic. A Dct reset every 1500 miles or so seemed to put it back to a lot smoother operation My AT is at 2350 miles now and seems to have developed the same 'issue' but it might be my imagination. Anyway no harm in trying the reset
Mike

#13 · (Edited)
If your Africa Twin has manual gearbox ignore everything below ;)

For those that might prefer a text version of the procedure (above) I’ve taken the time, on nightshift ;) to copy/write it up :) I’ll also attach a copy (DCT_Reset_Sequence_CRF1000L_DCT.txt) to this post for easy download.

Many thanks to mike5100 for providing the procedure in image form. Note, in Mike’s posts there are two images that make up the whole procedure.

Note, unlike some DCT procedures for other Honda DCT bikes (thanks again to mike5100 for pointing this out) there is no mention of throttle position so ‘assume’ that the throttle should be left alone for the reset procedure.

DCT Reset Procedure for CRF1000L DCT
1) Warm the engine up to normal operating temperature (Engine oil temp 50-110C / 112-230F) then STOP it.
Note: If the large “L” (extremely low oil temp indicator) or small “L” (low oil temp indicator) is displayed on the shift indicator then the engine must be warmed up further before proceeding.

With the engine warmed up and STOPPED —->

2) Turn the Ignition Switch ON (with engine stop switch in the run position) (do not start the engine) whilst at the same time holding down D on the N-D Switch. Keep holding the D switch on. The MIL will then come on. Wait until the MIL goes off and release the D switch.

3) Operate the N-D switch in the following sequence:
Push D then release
Push D
Push N
Push D
Push N

The PCM is ready to initialise the ‘clutches learning process’ when the “D” and “S” indicators light up AND the “_” is displayed on the shift indicator AND blinks at 2 second intervals.

Note: If at any point you get the Low oil temp indicator (“L”) come on, stop the process. START the engine, warm it back up to operating temperature (so that no low oil temp indicator is displayed), STOP the engine and repeat steps 2 & 3 again.

4) Start the engine and let it idle. The “_” on the shift indicator will start blinking at 2 second intervals.
The Clutch initialising learning process is complete when “_” “D” and “S” indicators all go off.
STOP the engine

Note: The clutch initialisation learning process is unsuccessful if the “_” starts blinking at 0.5 sec intervals, or goes off and the “D” and “S’ symbols stay on. If so, perform the initialisation learning procedure from Step 2 again.

5) STOP the Engine
6) Restart the Engine, Push the D switch, release and check that the “D” indicator comes on. If it does then you’re good to go! :)

Attachments

#14 ·
Thanks for posting this??

Question;
In the following two steps, is the correct procedure to use the key to "STOP" the engine?
My common sense says so, but in case someone is having trouble I thought I'd ask.

1) Warm the engine up to normal operating temperature (Engine oil temp 50-110C / 112-230F) then STOP it.
5) STOP the Engine

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Does anyone know if doing the DCT reset procedure clears error messages? My bike got stuck in third gear while I was riding it in manual mode. I managed to get it to go back into neutral by rocking the bike back and forth after turning the key on. But I would like the dealer to check for errors, so don't want to clear them before that. Thanks for any advice.

Here's the vid of it stuck in geaer prior to rocking the bike back and forth.

#19 ·
Can anyone confirm that this works for 2016 bikes? I've tried it a couple of times and can't get the D and S indicators to light up as the procedure says they should. I'm trying it with the bike on the centre stand and the side stand up.

I'm heading off to work shortly, I'll give it another crack when I get there.

#20 ·
Yes the procedure works in that everything flashes as it's supposed to - however, I couldn't tell any difference before and after the procedure on my Africa Twin whereas it always made a noticeable difference to smoothness and snatchiness on my various NC's
Mike

#22 ·
Interestingly this procedure is no longer working on my bike and yes it was fully warmed up with fan running. Holding the d button depressed while turning ignition on does nothing other than the usual lights. Only thing that’s different is there’s a rapidbike easy plugged into the o2 sensor
Mike

#23 ·
Just realised that it’s not the only thing that is different. The right hand switch cluster was replaced under warranty. Of course the physical DSwitch is the same but I wonder if for some reason Honda told the dealer to download some different software when replacing the switch (they said they got 2.5 hours for it so it’s not just a switch that is replaced. If anyone else has had the switchgear replaced I would appreciate if you could try the Dct reset procedure. If I’m right you won’t get past first base
Mike

#25 ·
Persevere. Nothing looks different until you have done the DDNDN thing. And if you don't do that at the right pace, again nothing happens. But you just start again and eventually you get the D and S symbols both alight at the same time, and the rest of the procedure works.
When I posted last year, my hope was the DCT reset would cure the rough running in slow urban traffic which it definitely did on my NC DCT bikes. It didn't seem to make any difference to my 2017 Africa Twin.
Last week I used the DCT reset for a different purpose. My new 2018 bike had DCT 'creep' and the reset procedure has cured it completely.
Mike

#26 · (Edited)
The DCT creep on my 2018 (ride by wire) bike had come back before it went in last week for its 8k service. I should have pointed this out to the dealer but I thought their electronic gizmo would reset it anyway as part of the service. Anyway it came back yesterday but still with the 'creep'. So as you can see in my post above I thought well I will do that again myself.
HOWEVER - this time it hasn't worked. Well it has in that the creep has been corrected and the gearbox seems to be functioning correctly, but the Dand S symbols are both continuously displayed (so I can only tell whether it's D or S by the feel of the gear changes.).
During the DCT reset procedure everything worked as before until the engine restart when the - sign which is supposed to keep flashing at 2 second intervals then go off when initialisation is complete, began flashing at half second intervals as soon as the engine was started. I tried the reset several times, and once left it for 10 or 12 minutes doing the half second flashing but no joy.
Any ideas anyone?
Mike
EDIT update: Sorted this morning after just leaving the bike overnight then doing the same reset procedure all is well. Only difference was that yesterday I tried to do it immediately after a 2 hour ride and this morning was from cold (but after warming up)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.