Headlight Protection vs Headlight Cost (US$1087) - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 20Likes

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
So how do you think you might break a polycarb head light, its been many a year since I have seen a broken headlight on a car or a bike. it must be several decades since I have seen an object able to brake a headlight unit.
Two words - stone chip, happened to my wifes car and my daughters car causing them both to fail their annual inspection. Both had to have complete new headlights as they were one piece. For £25 it is a reasonably cheap investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 08:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denburger View Post
Hi Skip, you may have something here
I have seen a few broken polycarb headlights in my time, but come to think of it they were all from crash jobs
and not even a H/L Protector will save them from a crash,
next chance I get to go to the wreckers I'm going to test a damaged one with a hammer that's what I do ha ha ha
anybody else test one ?
Will be interested, I am not saying it cant be done. Its just that I have seen lots of objects going through radiators, and even plastics broken with items coming off the road but its been a long time since I have seen a broken headlamp. I do run the thick clear plastic film on the leading edges of some of the fairings and the headlights but thats just to prevent road rash from gravel hitting the plastics when following somebody.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 11:53 PM

I am very interested in the outcome of the 'hammer test'!

I have previously used perspex protectors, so I just used what I know works for me. I have gone for orange over the dim light and clear over the bright light. Orange over the dims so that the light is more visible to other drivers.

I have in the past had to replace a perspex lens after being hit by a fairly big stone, but that is better the replacing the headlight!

Attached is a picture of what they look like on the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W@H headlight protector.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	10065  

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 05:47 AM

The HAMMER test,
So I asked old mate down at the Wreckers for a test Headlight, I said "I wana do a hammer test" he said, "tried that, hammer is too flat just bounce off." "need something pointy and at high speed" so I ask what about small chips that my fail a roadworthy inspection? he said "I always just use headlight protection film" "cheep, works and looks good" I said OK.
Wadeo likes this.

The Burger.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 AM

Reviving this thread as I'm debating on getting headlight protection...

While I mentioned in my other thread, on my previous adv motorcycles I've had headlight protection, but have never had a rock hit the front of the bike let alone the guard. BUT I reckon' it only takes once. I do tend to ride in a group (2 or more) when I ride off-road which is 50% of the time. And here in CO, there can be just about every type of terrain including gravel and rocks.

I'll admit I'm being a bit picky here. I'm not a fan of the type of protectors that use velcro to attach the protectors to the lens. Just doesn't look "clean" to me. I like the clean look of the Altriders mounting, http://www.altrider.com/altrider-cle...-twin/pid/2218, but I'm not sure if it will fit with my touratech upper crashbars since they share a common mount point. I do get if it does work together I'd need longer screws.

I'm not a fan of the Touratech version as it appears the strap would probably rub on the paint. If someone has them can they verify if it rubs the painted body work?
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:32 PM

Puig has one also that looks pretty clean on the bike. (Listed on RevZilla for $132) It looks similar to the AltRider but I believe the AltRider can be popped off to clean while the Puig has to be unscrewed.
AdvArt and jamnut like this.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:39 PM

I bought the Tankslapper film kit that protects the tank, upper fairing (front), fork tubes and the headlights - if you're looking for invisible.

Also bought the Powerbronze headlight protector (had to change the 3M fasteners to black) looks good IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63B62242-8D67-473C-9450-5C91393C63B0.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	20593  
artbone and AdvArt like this.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Ė Robert Louis Stevenson

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 03:07 AM

Hi .. i just broke the from lens of headlight . Do i need to change the complete headlight or lens availabe?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180407_153811_1523167593901.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	41041  
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 04:54 AM

Its a complete unit sorry to be bearer of bad news its bloody expensive $$$, Just ordered set of AltRiderís lens protectors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	canvas.png
Views:	135
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	41049   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT16-2-1105.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	41057  

Last edited by Crank; 04-08-2018 at 05:45 AM.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvArt View Post
Reviving this thread as I'm debating on getting headlight protection...

While I mentioned in my other thread, on my previous adv motorcycles I've had headlight protection, but have never had a rock hit the front of the bike let alone the guard. BUT I reckon' it only takes once. I do tend to ride in a group (2 or more) when I ride off-road which is 50% of the time. And here in CO, there can be just about every type of terrain including gravel and rocks.

I'll admit I'm being a bit picky here. I'm not a fan of the type of protectors that use velcro to attach the protectors to the lens. Just doesn't look "clean" to me. I like the clean look of the Altriders mounting, http://www.altrider.com/altrider-cle...-twin/pid/2218, but I'm not sure if it will fit with my touratech upper crashbars since they share a common mount point. I do get if it does work together I'd need longer screws.

I'm not a fan of the Touratech version as it appears the strap would probably rub on the paint. If someone has them can they verify if it rubs the painted body work?

I am using the AltRider headlight guards with the Touratech bars. Itís a tight fit, but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page