Headlight Protection vs Headlight Cost (US$1087) - Page 4 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 20Likes

post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 08:12 AM

I was thinking to buy a headlight protector, but after reading this thread and the cost of the new headlight set, it is not a thought any more but an absolute nesesity.

I have seen most of the products in the market (or at least the ones I can get in Greece) and while I do like the cover removable feature of Altrider, aesthetically I prefer the Puig one; it looks to me somewhat more elegant and less obvious.

Also, I am considering only the clear plastic ones, no wire mess or any similar, because I do not see how effective they could be against stone chips.

However, my concern about the clear plastic ones is whether, under certain conditions like the bike beeing under intense sunlight for considerable time, those could act as a magnifying glass and overheat the headlight glass.

what is your opinions, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
However, my concern about the clear plastic ones is whether, under certain conditions like the bike beeing under intense sunlight for considerable time, those could act as a magnifying glass and overheat the headlight glass.

what is your opinions, please?
I've had these: https://www.whereszed.com/shop/httpw...v=8e3eb2c69a18 for a while now and I've very happy with them. There is a curve to the protectors, but only to match the curve of the headlight lens itself - I don't believe there would be any significant magnification of the sunlight and I won't be losing any sleep over the idea.

When I look at these 3mm thick plastic protectors and the gap the velcro dots hold them out from the headlights, I just can't see any rock hitting them with enough force to cause the headlights themselves to break. I believe they will do the job well enough that there is no need to pay any more than this price to get adequate protection - if you paid more then you paid too much! I'd happily recommend these to anyone and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat!
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
I've had these: https://www.whereszed.com/shop/httpw...v=8e3eb2c69a18 for a while now and I've very happy with them. There is a curve to the protectors, but only to match the curve of the headlight lens itself - I don't believe there would be any significant magnification of the sunlight and I won't be losing any sleep over the idea.

When I look at these 3mm thick plastic protectors and the gap the velcro dots hold them out from the headlights, I just can't see any rock hitting them with enough force to cause the headlights themselves to break. I believe they will do the job well enough that there is no need to pay any more than this price to get adequate protection - if you paid more then you paid too much! I'd happily recommend these to anyone and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat!
Thanks for your input KiwiMark.

I agree with your point on cost, but - unfortunately for my wallet - I am very sensitive to the looks also and I hate those velcro fixing method. I have ordered the PUIG one finally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:23 AM

The cost of these headlights are a ridiculous cost...especially for an adventure bike which is meant to bounce back from remote locations. When you go to remote locations you see local bikes that look like they've been to war yet they still hold them together with duct tape and wire, I'm starting to think that this bike won't make the cut as a survivor

Don't mean to tread on your thread Petros but that headlight cost angers me. I wanted a survivor and I may have spent my $$$ on a prima donna. Are the headlight units really $1000

MeCasa

Sex is dirty only if it's done right ................ Live and Let Live ............ Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
.................................................. .......... MeCasaEsSuCasa .................................................. ....

Last edited by MeCasa; 09-16-2018 at 10:55 AM.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCasa View Post
The cost of these headlights are a ridiculous cost...especially for an adventure bike which is meant to bounce back from remote locations. When you go to remote locations you see local bikes that look like they've been to war yet they still hold them together with duct tape and wire, I'm starting to think that this bike won't make the cut as a survivor

Don't mean to tread on your thread Petros but that headlight cost angers me. I wanted a survivor and I may have spent my $$$ on a prima donna. Are the headlight units really $1000

MeCasa
Well, the Honda Varadero headlight set cost some 450-500 Euros. So, I am not really surprised for the cost of the AT one. I gues that all the other OEMs are not cheap either. For example, I have heard once that the ABS module for the non-LC R1200GS cost some 1800 euros.

I mean that, companies make money out of the spare parts. This has always been like this and will be always.

The only thing we can do, is protect as much as we can, whatever we can protect. For example, there is not much you can do for the ABS module.... but, you can protect the headlight, or the bodywork etc to a certain extend.

It sucks, but that's just the way it is.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Its a complete unit sorry to be bearer of bad news its bloody expensive $$$, Just ordered set of AltRiderís lens protectors.
I also ordered these today except I got the mesh instead of the clear lens in order to avoid the lens glare.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
I have the touratech makrolon protector
I know this is an old post but I bought a used makrolon version last week and no instructions. So how to install the center rubber "nose" protector - I can't figure out how to squeeze it through the hole. Thanks

'18 ATAS dct leftover
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:17 AM

touratech headlight protection

i have these and they work great
prefer neat oem look , but what the heck .. saves 1086$ just in case
[touratech-usa.com/Store/Quick-Release-Clear-Headlight-Guard-Honda-Africa-Twin-CRF1000L[/url]
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadixrv View Post
i have these and they work great
Great! can you please tell/show me how to insert the center rubber piece through the hole? Touratech diagram does not help and I can't find any YT videos. Thanks

'18 ATAS dct leftover
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denburger View Post
Hi Skip, you may have something here
I have seen a few broken polycarb headlights in my time, but come to think of it they were all from crash jobs
and not even a H/L Protector will save them from a crash,
next chance I get to go to the wreckers I'm going to test a damaged one with a hammer that's what I do ha ha ha
anybody else test one ?
Interesting to test this out.
I also think hard polycarb is so cheap I cannot imagine they do not use this on headlights.
I remember a demo on polycarb Oakley riding glasses where they shot them with a shot gun. The glasses were cactus (to further wear and use), but not broken.
Had a(n unfortunate) chance to test in Morocco on a bicycle tour back in the 90's, slipstreaming a truck and it threw up a rock. Hit me hard. Dented the glasses, and enough of a smack to gave me a black eye! Thanks Oakley!

So maybe the metal mesh covers are enough, I think a rock that can get through the mesh would not have enough mass to break a headlight, larger rocks are stopped.

Off course when going for bling, there is no rational apart from cool value required!

Why drive when you can ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page