Vibrations on your (dualsports) helmet? Here is the solution! - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Vibrations on your (dualsports) helmet? Here is the solution!

When I first rode my new AT I was using a standard full face helmet, not problems even at highway speeds. The little windshield works surprisingly well.

It's another story using a dual-sports helmet including a screen. Vibrations are getting unbearable at speeds over 80km/h, for both helmets I have tried. So in a German forum I read that those turbulences are caused by air streaming upwards behind the fork. And it's true: just use your left arm to cover this big gap and you will feel right away how much smoother things are getting. So some people have been using foam parts or other soft stuff and stuffed it into the gap, to control the flow of air while not obstructing the handlebar/fork movement.

I have come up with a better solution, made of a 1mm rubber sheet (the first prototype was made of a inner tube cut open ), and using some longer screws plus washers instead of the original fairing screws. Doesn't look to bad, in no way obstructs the fork movement and I have a perfectly smoot ride up to 130km/h!

jefeyay and JCANALE like this.

www.nordicbiker.se
Motorcycle adventures in Scandinavia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 05:36 AM

That's an interesting idea Nordic,
I've had similar experiences with different helmets, all flip fronts, a BMW, a Shuberth C3 and a brand new Schuberth E1 Adventure,
The new E1 is a total waste of time with the peak fitted, the vibration gives me blurred vision, so I had to remove it,
I'm in the process of making a perspex infill for the centre of the screen , I have the Batzen adjustable screen parts fitted and find them quite amazing,
The BMW helmet is the best one for me when riding the AT, whether the screens in the low or high position, never thought about the air coming round the forks, but i ride with a small tank bag fitted at all times, so it may not affect me so much,
JCANALE likes this.

Adventure before Dementia,
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisto View Post
That's an interesting idea Nordic,
I've had similar experiences with different helmets, all flip fronts, a BMW, a Shuberth C3 and a brand new Schuberth E1 Adventure,
The new E1 is a total waste of time with the peak fitted, the vibration gives me blurred vision, so I had to remove it,
I'm in the process of making a perspex infill for the centre of the screen , I have the Batzen adjustable screen parts fitted and find them quite amazing,
The BMW helmet is the best one for me when riding the AT, whether the screens in the low or high position, never thought about the air coming round the forks, but i ride with a small tank bag fitted at all times, so it may not affect me so much,
You could test it easily, by just filling the gap with some soft foam and go for a short test ride. Just be aware that you will not have full steering movement. If it helps my fix is easy to produce!
JCANALE likes this.

www.nordicbiker.se
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 07:29 AM

I could ,but like I said my tank bag covers all that area, I've also put bar backs on recently 30mm up x 20mm back which I've found to improve my ride , wish I'd have done it when I bought the bike, but I didn't have a shoulder problem when it was warmer,

I'll get the screen infill finished and see how it goes,

Adventure before Dementia,
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Got a youtube video out today, but still can't post any links here in the forum. Google for

CRF1000L Africa Twin - eliminating helmet vibrations

www.nordicbiker.se
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've seen similar mod on Facebook from another owner. He had made up two plates mounted on either side instead of the entire front section where wind was coming up. It didn't affect the steering.
I have to admit, after seeing that post, I went on the road and tested it using just my hand on either side, it does work wonders.
Was an old FB post, can't locate it, but the idea is very good from your post too.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 04:41 AM

I am reading this post and cannot believe what I am reading! I ride with a Schuberth E1 and have not found a single issue with the hat. Zero vibration even at higher speeds. A couple of things I can think of. I fitted a Wunderlich handle bar bag and had it on from the first day. Maybe that makes a difference? I am also quite short, 1.68M, and the seat is on the lower position. Maybe that also makes a difference.

Just to check, I was 'forced' to used the AT to work this morning. I removed the Wunderlich bag at home. For a section of highway I removed my left glove. I felt for some updraught. There is some wind but I don't know if it was any worse than on my previous bike. I was doing about 145km/h on the speedo and with the hands in the normal riding position. Zero helmet vibration.

That got me thinking, is it the taller guys who get effected by the combination of turbulence behind the screen as well as the air movement over the screen?

If so, I am happy with that

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:10 PM

Garage
I'm having the exact same problem with my Touratech Aventuro Mod... Frustrating!! My head starts vibrating from 70km/h and at 90km/h I cant see anything. I'm about 1.84 tall. Just bought the Batzen adjustable screen, but have not installed it yet, hoping to fix this, but probably just wasted my money, after reading this.

I hope Honda finds a fix, and provide it as a recall...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 06:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCANALE View Post
I'm having the exact same problem with my Touratech Aventuro Mod... Frustrating!! My head starts vibrating from 70km/h and at 90km/h I cant see anything. I'm about 1.84 tall. Just bought the Batzen adjustable screen, but have not installed it yet, hoping to fix this, but probably just wasted my money, after reading this.

I hope Honda finds a fix, and provide it as a recall...
I am not sure what they would be fixing , this is something that will effect an individual rider based on height, helmet, speed , etc etc etc.
Nobody is going to fix anything.
I have just changed my screen over to the MRA touring screen and its like night and day in how much better it is for me. Most of the buffeting I was getting was on my shoulders so I wanted a much wider screen to move the air off my shoulders. But that said I still own the loudest helmet in the galactic universe the Bell MX9. It simply does not work with me and this bike. So you have to change things to make them work for you. Mr Honda does not have a personal fitting service, thats Harley Davidson.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 02:56 PM

Garage
I'm having this problem too. There is air/turbulence coming up in the gap between the tank and the forks, put your hand there it stops. Wedged some foam there and it's quiet and smooth. I've order the Wunderlich Barbag this afternoon hoping it might deflect the air.

I'll post results when it arrives.

I'm 6"2 and using an ermax touring screen.

Open mind for a different view.

Last edited by Steevo; 10-26-2016 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page