SWEGOTECH Forkshield deflector -- reduce helmet vibrations !!! - Page 10 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 62Likes

post #91 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Swegotech adventure sports forkshield

Hello my friends,
we are very happy to announce our new SWEGOTECH Forkshield for the ADVENTURE SPORTS !!!
This is the perfect solution to reduce helmet vibrations/buffeting caused by the fork tunnel updraft. For more information please visit:
http://www.swegotech.com/Forkshield-...buffeting.html

We will visit the Overland Expo West in Arizona this weekend !!!

Hope to see you there

Swen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:29 AM

Garage
Got mine in the mail today. Thanks for the fast shipping. Will test it out tomorrow.
Swen likes this.
post #93 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 12:27 PM

Just ordered a SWEGOTECH for my ATAS. I'm 6'0" and wear and Arai XD4 helmet. I get pretty significant buffeting when riding above 55mph but if I put my left hand over the left fork opening at least 80% of the buffeting goes away so pretty confident this solution will work for me. I'll post up a review once I get it installed.
Swen likes this.

2008 VFR800A
2018 ATAS DCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

deltazulu,
thank you for your order. A few days ago I received feedback from a very happy SWEGOTECH Forkshield user who has also the Arai XD4 helmet. So I hope it will work as good for you as for him. Looking forward to hear your review

I just noticed that for some strange reasons the pictures I linked to my post above sometimes can't get displayed here. So I just uploaded the images to the forum directly. What a beautiful bike and color.

So cool that finally the wait is over and the Adventure Sports is now available in the USA!

SWEGOTECH Adventure Sports Forkshield:
http://www.swegotech.com/Forkshield-...buffeting.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda-CRF1000L2-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-Forkshield-001.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	43827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda-CRF1000L2-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-Forkshield-002.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	43829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda-CRF1000L2-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-Forkshield-003.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	43831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda-CRF1000L2-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-Forkshield-005.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	43833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda-CRF1000L2-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-Forkshield-006.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	43835  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda-CRF1000L2-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-Forkshield-007.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	43837  
post #95 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltazulu View Post
Just ordered a SWEGOTECH for my ATAS. I'm 6'0" and wear and Arai XD4 helmet. I get pretty significant buffeting when riding above 55mph but if I put my left hand over the left fork opening at least 80% of the buffeting goes away so pretty confident this solution will work for me. I'll post up a review once I get it installed.
The shield works great but plan on replacing the bolts that come with it, they rust fairly quick.
post #96 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 12:45 PM

Garage
FWIW, I am fully aware it is almost 100% anecdotal but, on a recent 2,500 mile trip with lots of 75/85 mph highway stretches, my Puig visor deflector eliminated all of the peak vibration and buffeting to the point that I could ride with the helmet visor open all the time without any noise/dust/bug strike issues.

But I continued to experience a lot of wind noise and, having read about the air dynamics from the fork area I first tried laying my hands over it then stuffing t-shirts without any difference. I eventually found out by using my hands that the wind noise was coming from underneath the helmet, around the ears area. Putting my hand over that area eliminated the noise and, still using my hand, traced the air flow back to the air deflected by the front cowling to either side, right around the front blinkers. The noise was exacerbated whenever side winds were present.

I am now waiting on the Arai XD4 helmet to be available as the Bell MX9 MIPS I was using has little padding around that area. Other things I am considering are a neck protector (both for safety and as a way to deflect the wind -shrugging my shoulders up had helped before- from coming up underneath the helmet).

The last thing I would eventually try is to purchase some lexan and mount it in those areas to deflect a bit more wind. My hand seemed to be enough but I have to consider that my whole riding angle had also changed when I stretched out and my arm was extended to boot.
mike5100 and mcrag like this.
post #97 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 04:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodMoGo View Post
FWIW, I am fully aware it is almost 100% anecdotal but, on a recent 2,500 mile trip with lots of 75/85 mph highway stretches, my Puig visor deflector eliminated all of the peak vibration and buffeting to the point that I could ride with the helmet visor open all the time without any noise/dust/bug strike issues.

But I continued to experience a lot of wind noise and, having read about the air dynamics from the fork area I first tried laying my hands over it then stuffing t-shirts without any difference. I eventually found out by using my hands that the wind noise was coming from underneath the helmet, around the ears area. Putting my hand over that area eliminated the noise and, still using my hand, traced the air flow back to the air deflected by the front cowling to either side, right around the front blinkers. The noise was exacerbated whenever side winds were present.

I am now waiting on the Arai XD4 helmet to be available as the Bell MX9 MIPS I was using has little padding around that area. Other things I am considering are a neck protector (both for safety and as a way to deflect the wind -shrugging my shoulders up had helped before- from coming up underneath the helmet).

The last thing I would eventually try is to purchase some lexan and mount it in those areas to deflect a bit more wind. My hand seemed to be enough but I have to consider that my whole riding angle had also changed when I stretched out and my arm was extended to boot.
I agree. I also did some experimenting and found most of the wind noise and turbulence coming from around the sides of the front cowling. It comes around the sides angled upward and hits your torso, then up towards the helmet. I found minimal air rushing up from the open forks area - nothing compared to the force of air around the sides and not enough to cause the buffeting I was getting. The fork shield thing did nothing for me. Honda does make some wind deflectors for the cowling.

I had made some crude experimental ones myself, strategically placed at a couple different locations, and they seemed to work well - unfortunately some broke off during my many off-road drops. They only ones I still have on are in the location where the handlebar cut-outs are - turn the bars at full lock and you'll see what i'm referring to. I used thin flexible plastic so as to still let the bars turn all the way. The other set of deflectors I made were a little lower ( about even with the height of the top of the fuel tank), angled down and out. The combination of the two was perfect.
mike5100 likes this.
post #98 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 06:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrag View Post
Honda does make some wind deflectors for the cowling.
LOL, came here specifically to post that I found those wind deflectors! OEM part 08R74-MJP-G50 for others that might be interested.
post #99 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 07:06 PM

I have all these wind deflectors honda makes for the Africa Twin Adventure Sport, both the rubber uppers ( I think they actually do something to lessen the windnoise) and the rubber lowers , The upper rubber deflectors should be made of clear plastic and much wider like the deflectors you get from BMW, Yamaha , that will actually work.

I also have the little blueish deflectors you screw on to the side of the windscreen. Its also way to small and hardly do nothing but fancy look.

You might have read my post about Super Tenere Givi Airflow Windshield on the Africa Twin. That is something that really does work, for me at least. It has totally transformed driving the bike. There is one inmate doing the same mod and I look forward hearing how he likes it.

I got the Swegotec from the postoffice yesterday afternoon and installed it, fits beautifully on my ATAS. It has been raining here all day and yesterday evening was strong wind, crosswind , so I could not test it. Will test it tomorrow and tell you what I think about it.
Swen likes this.
post #100 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:55 PM

Swen, thanks for posting up the pics! I was able to see them on your website before I placed my order.
Swen likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page