SWEGOTECH Forkshield deflector -- reduce helmet vibrations !!! - Page 4 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 58Likes

post #31 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 09:53 PM

Garage
Mine arrived today. Should be 54 degrees tomorrow. Will install and provide a review.
Swen likes this.

Rob

http://motopumps.com

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 06:32 PM

Garage
Started the day by taking my '14 DL650 VStrom to the dealer for its stator recall. Had not ridden the VStrom in a while, so also good to have back to back comparisons. Nice bike, but doesn't quite have the feel that the AT has.

Got home, pulled the AT out and got my package out from Swen. About the order. It was placed late at night on the 16th, it shipped on the 17th and arrived on the 20th. Great service. The package was in good shape, the contents were in a bubble wrap sleeve and the hardware was in its own, properly sized, zip lock baggie. The included instructions are high quality, easy to read and printed in color.

The laser cutting of the deflector is very clean. The hardware is top quality and matches the existing hardware on the bike.

The actual install took 5 minutes, and that included gathering the tools that were needed. The required tools were clearly outlined in the instructions as well.

Before:

After:

A couple of things to note before we get to the results. I have raised my fork tubes in the forks about half an inch and have the damping adjuster on the left side backed most of the way out. This is NOT stock and the damping adjuster just hits the deflector on its way to full lock. If you have this issue, you can either slip another washer under the front mounting point or slide the forks back down. I moved mine down 2mm and all is well.

I am running an MRA Vario Touring Screen, so I switched back to stock as well as trying the MRA with the deflector.

I did back to back test runs. Today was calm with a very light, cross wind, maybe 3-5 mph.

I was wearing my Shoei Hornet X2 with no earplugs.

The first run was with the stock shield and no deflector to help me remember why I switched to the MRA Vario Touring screen.

The second run was with the stock screen and the deflector in place. Big difference! Much smoother air behind the bars and almost no buffeting on the bill of the Hornet. Noticeably quieter with the visor up. No problem riding at 65 mph with the visor open. With the stock screen, my eyes would water from the buffeting.

Third run, I put the MRA Vario back on with the deflector in place. While there was a difference, it was not nearly as pronounced as with the stock screen. Basically, the $39 deflector is doing the same job as a $160 windshield.

Fourth run, I experimented with taping off the air intakes at the front of the fairing.

As I was riding earlier, I moved my hand around the opening of the fairing and wondered what effect there would be to stopping some of the air coming in through those two frontal air intakes. For me, especially with a head wind, having them taped off, made it quieter in the cockpit. I think having that extra air in the hot summer, may be welcome, but in the cold or with a significant headwind, you may be better off with them covered. I think they were designed in to help equalize pressure behind the screen, but may do too good a job of it with a LOT of air flow above 50 mph.

Conclusion? If you are running a stock screen, this may be the best $39 you spend on your AT. It is a very well thought out and delivered kit, top notch quality and construction backed by great customer service.

Ride Safe!
Mudslingr, Mcridr, Swen and 1 others like this.

Rob

http://motopumps.com

2016 Rally Red Manual Africa Twin
post #33 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Joe

Totally agree tracking is just money grabbing,bits still go astray and eventual turn up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:53 PM
Joe

Very informative review, I have ordered one on the back of this many thanks
post #35 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:26 AM

Quite interested in this

Unfortunately because I am new I cannot view the link.
post #36 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:57 AM

Just ordered

I will also post a review. But I prefer to ride in the clean air of a shorter windshield so I will ABC it with the Powerbronze sport which is 4 inches shorter than stock.
post #37 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filtercottage View Post
Swen.....great idea but as others have said it needs a UK supplier to reduce the delivery costs.

Elvisto.....i ride with a Schuberth e1 and had same problem. I fitted a touratech bar bag, had one lying around, and this has totally cured the peak vibrations at all speeds.

It didn't solve my problem, even had my tank bag on too, I just hope swens mod works,

Adventure before Dementia,
post #38 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 03:59 PM

Garage
Very well done, great review.
post #39 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:33 AM

Have ordered mine.
Im in the UK so may be a couple of weeks yet. Should solve the problem as when you cover the fork gap the bike does get noticeably quieter.
post #40 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 05:36 AM

Well I ordered mine on the 16th January, and it arrived here in the UK yesterday morning,Amazing, Fitted in 10 mins, looks good, can't wait to try it out, But we've had a load of frost and ice during the night so things are not looking promising for a ride out today,

Adventure before Dementia,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page