Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/)
-   Appearance & Body (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/193-appearance-body/)
-   -   SWEGOTECH Forkshield deflector -- reduce helmet vibrations !!! (https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/193-appearance-body/13306-swegotech-forkshield-deflector-reduce-helmet-vibrations.html)

Swen 01-13-2017 11:50 PM

SWEGOTECH Forkshield deflector -- reduce helmet vibrations !!!

6 Attachment(s)
Hello my friends,
with my new Africa Twin I nearly bought the perfect bike, something I was dreaming of for a long time :smile2:.

Sadly on my first ride on the interstate, I suffered from a problem many of you already knew about. The helmet vibration problems on my Adventure/Dual Sport helmet were driving me crazy. My vison got so blurry at higher speed, that I had problems to read street signs and even got a headache and neck pain after a while. I first tried some different helmets and a bigger windshield, but this wasn't the solution I was looking for.

The more I researched this topic in the internet, the more I realized, that many of you have similar problems. And there was no real solution to fix this available on the market - to stop the updraft coming from the fork tunnel which is the reason for these annoying helmet vibrations.

I heard stories of creative people trying to fix this with plumber foam pieces, rubber mats and other things into the fork tunnel. As much as I love to be creative, but MacGyver-like sticking an old sock with a bubble gum into the fork tunnel wasn't my preferred solution for a $15,000 motorcycle :wink2: Also I wanted the best possible result without any danger of blocking the steering when doing sharp turns riding offroad.

Luckily I've gained a lot of experience in my life in designing and developing products. Just for myself I wanted a functional solution to fix my Africa Twin helmet vibration problem. One of my companies is operating a very nice CNC-Laser for a few years now. And I used it to build a prototype for me. I showed the prototype to my friend and fellow Africa Twin owner and he loved it so much, that he also wanted one for his bike. Only then I thought about producing the perfect solution also for other riders with the same helmet vibration problems.

Building something for yourself is quite different than offering a finished product for sale. So, I spent much more time and money in developing the perfect, good looking and affordabe "Forkshield" then. After in total about 30 different prototypes and a lot of testing, I finally found the most optimized solution in every aspect :grin2:

I filmed the following video that quickly explains & demonstrates the effect of the Swegotech Forkshield updraft deflector on an Africa Twin CRF1000L:

Here you can read more about the product:
http://www.swegotech.com/Forkshield-...ibrations.html

For me it is a night and day difference to ride my Africa Twin with my new SWEGOTECH FORKSHIELD updraft deflector and I am sure you will be as happy with it as I am :smile2:

Swen

Swen 01-14-2017 12:00 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This is how the SWEGOTECH Forkshield looks on a silver DCT version :smile2:

erey 01-14-2017 02:02 AM

Interesting. For international owners it will be 70$. Too expensive.

Swen 01-14-2017 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erey (Post 128898)
Interesting. For international owners it will be 70$. Too expensive.

I really tried my best to reduce the shipping costs as much as possible, but just for the tracking of the package I have to pay additional $14 (plus the regular shipping cost). If we ship without tracking and the package is lost the customers will always blame us. This is the reason why I don't think it is a good idea to send it without tracking. All other shipping options I found were even more expensive ($60-$90 just for the shipping).

You can check if Ebay can give you a cheaper shipping rate to your location. They calculate the shipping costs by themself and we just print out their shipping lable for the package (and they also have tracking included):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forkshield-u...p=mtr#shpCntId

If you have an other idea how to ship the item to you, please let us know.

EDIT: I checked with Ebay and for some countries like Germany for example it is a bit cheaper if you order on Ebay ($20 shipping).... the shipping costs to most other countries are $27-$29, so the same what we have on our website.

Elvisto 01-14-2017 06:01 AM

It looks a neat idea Swen, nice job,
I bought a Schuberth E1 Adventure helmet a few months ago, this is the one with the peak, I tried with 3 different screens to stop the vibration of the peak , and nothing worked, so Ive been using it without the peak,
Just wondering if your device will still work with my Micro tank bag in place,

Elvisto 01-14-2017 06:17 AM

Should have watched the video first :wink2: But that's exactly what my helmet peak was doing , it was vibrating so much at 45 mph I was getting double vision through my Spectacles , I had to stop and remove the peak,
It's a good price, but with the postage it makes it too expensive in the UK etc, Thats a shame :frown2:

Swen 01-14-2017 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvisto (Post 128962)
It looks a neat idea Swen, nice job,
I bought a Schuberth E1 Adventure helmet a few months ago, this is the one with the peak, I tried with 3 different screens to stop the vibration of the peak , and nothing worked, so Ive been using it without the peak,
Just wondering if your device will still work with my Micro tank bag in place,

Thank you Elvisto :) !!!
I tested the Forkshield also with the Schuberth E1 (see video on the Autobahn). From all the helmets I tried the E1 has by far the weakest peak. At speeds up to around 80mph (130Km/h) the Forkshield will reduce the peak vibrations on the E1 helmet. When you ride faster than that the turbulences, caused by the front windshield are getting stronger than the wind from the fork tunnel. At this point the E1 peak starts to vibrate a bit more again. During our product testing I drove the Africa Twin at Top Speed for more than an hour with the Schuberth E1 helmet. At this speed you simply can't expect Goldwing Comfort on the Africa Twin, but I am sure that at normal travel speeds you would enjoy the improvements a lot.

As long as the Tank bag will still fit onto the bike I don't see any problem here. I have the Givi xs320 tankbad and have no problems to use it in combination with the Forkshield.

Swen 01-14-2017 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvisto (Post 128970)
Should have watched the video first :wink2: But that's exactly what my helmet peak was doing , it was vibrating so much at 45 mph I was getting double vision through my Spectacles , I had to stop and remove the peak,
It's a good price, but with the postage it makes it too expensive in the UK etc, Thats a shame :frown2:

You were faster than my answer :p
Yes I also got this double vision, this was the reason why I started to design the Forkshield.

Well, I am so sorry about the shipping but for such a big part (it doesn't fit into a standart flatrate envelop) there is not much I can do.
And I think to ship it without tracking screams trouble in the long run. Packages will get lost, customer complains at PayPal about us. We on the other side can't check if the customer got the package or not.... all this drama to safe $14. Not sure if this would be a good idea.

Bladerunner99 01-14-2017 07:06 AM

Tracking is a joke in my opinion, several items I have ordered and tracked have arrived whilst the tracking details stated it was in transit, long after the arrival date.

Filtercottage 01-14-2017 10:09 AM

Swen.....great idea but as others have said it needs a UK supplier to reduce the delivery costs.

Elvisto.....i ride with a Schuberth e1 and had same problem. I fitted a touratech bar bag, had one lying around, and this has totally cured the peak vibrations at all speeds.