Crash Bars - Again - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 13Likes

post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 11:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtt45 View Post
Just saw this video, the guy does not seem to happy with the TT bars....

https://youtu.be/hO492zb_wlY
Trying to mix and match does not always work out. It seems an easier solution would have been to use the Touratech RallyeForm Skid Plate for DCT and lower crash bars model with the Touratech lower crash bars and that would have probably worked better for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 01:28 AM

SW Motech crash bars for me. drop tested no damage. Can access dipstick, remove all plastics without removing bars.
SW Motech bash plate too. Serious big rock tested. saved engine, exhaust and frame.
Cuchulainn likes this.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 02:05 AM

I have the Alt-Rider complete system, I've had the upper and lower bars installed for several weeks and finally received and installed the center reinforcing bars last night. They have an excellent fit and I can check the oil and change the oil filters with them on. You have to remove the LH or RH upper bar in order to remove any plastic body parts but they take less than 5 minutes to remove and install. I have tipped the bike over twice and the upper bars have done their job both times, I figure the bars have already paid for themselves. To be fair, I didn't really even look at the other bars, I had to wait until June to get my bike and the bars arrived about two weeks after I got the bike, so the back order wait wasn't an issue. I've said this in another topic and I'll say it again, If you are going to ride this bike hard, you need to install somebody's crash bars, especially upper bars.
Cuchulainn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 04:24 AM

Garage
Did you need to do any drilling to install the heed bars? Also,do you have to remove them to remove the fairing? Just wondering how easy it is to service the bike with the bars in place.Thanks in advance.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 04:00 PM

I did not have to drill anything to install the heed bars, but I am pretty sure you have to remove them (15 min) to get the fairings off.
Stromcat likes this.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 12:18 PM

Went with AltRider, very sturdy. Tight tolerances had to readjust and grind out a hole or two to get them installed, but a great system and design.

Last edited by High Country; 08-20-2017 at 04:48 PM.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:23 AM

Heed Crash Bars for Africa Twin

As a former race car chassis fabricator and long time bike builder I always try not to reinvent the wheel. When I needed crash bars for my 2017 Africa Twin I looked at many pics of all the bars out there and made a educated decision which one looked right and gave me the best bang for the price. Hence i ended up with Heed crash bars. They arrived from Poland or some eastern European country that I may never have heard of, but hey, they are not from a mass production facility with no quality control in China.
They were packaged by some Psycho who's life must depend on them arriving with no damage. You are more likely to damage them unpacking them than if the box was dragged to the U.S behind a truck. I found the bars to not only be high quality, but thumbs up to the engineer who came up with the design. Very well thought out, easy to install and they provide protection everywhere I need. I further installed a SW Motech skid plate wich I also felt gave me superior strength and coverage. The combination of both the Heed Bars and the Motech skid plate gave me full coverage. Note: The skid plate has to be notched on the lower left rear fastening point for the crash bars. I did it with a band saw and a 4" hand grinder.
Guri likes this.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:57 PM

I'm very happy with my Outback Motortech crash bars, engine guard bars & skid plate. All seem to be high quality and very strong. I like the look - went with black and like the shape and design. They seem very solid and confidence inspiring. Riding a couple of hundred kms of gravel last Saturday, I heard stones ricocheting off the skid plate - glad it was installed!

Quite a lot of black trim and black frame and black rims, so I think the black bars & skid plate fit in well.
Cuchulainn likes this.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 06:37 AM

Hows the Genuine Honda ones stack up next to the Aftermarket ones, do they offer good protection or better going aftermarket.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 05:07 PM

Guys any updates on the crash bars after 12 months of use & abuse, Im about to buy a set for my AT DCT & wondering how the Heed & Rockfox are holding up?
Have any of the bars bent & pushed into the plastics on impact?
Do the bars create any servicing issues with access to air filters etc?
Would you buy them again or buy something different if you had to replace them?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page