Air Flow Management - Page 5 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:50 PM

I spent some time last weekend on the motorway at 70-80 mph and experimented with my hand in various places to see if any difference could be felt (forgot the sponges). Hand over the fork top area had a definite effect on the buffeting of my helmet which caused my eyeballs to vibrate as well. Fork top air dam ordered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee711 View Post
I spent some time last weekend on the motorway at 70-80 mph and experimented with my hand in various places to see if any difference could be felt (forgot the sponges). Hand over the fork top area had a definite effect on the buffeting of my helmet which caused my eyeballs to vibrate as well. Fork top air dam ordered.
It's weird that everyone else is finding the air dam up the forks so effective. I bought the nicely made one and found no discernible difference, and couldn't feel any appreciable airflow on my hand without it.
Mike
mcrag likes this.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
It's weird that everyone else is finding the air dam up the forks so effective. I bought the nicely made one and found no discernible difference, and couldn't feel any appreciable airflow on my hand without it.
Mike
Not everyone.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
I now have no buffeting.
ATAS, standard screen, seat in high position, rider six foot five
The first thing I did was do a DIY fork shield since there is not one on the market yet for the ATAS (there is for the AT). I pushed two car wash sponges between tank and forks. Fully seals the gap and forks still turn. This stopped 70% of the problem
Next I fitted the clear plastic Honda deflectors and the black Honda rubber deflectors. No buffeting.
I then removed the sponges to see if I still needed them and some of the buffeting came back. Sponges back in
You're crazy man! Some AT riders just don't believe that there can be any buffetting issues. Hhhmm, even though Honda has made said products available to address issues that no one with a brain could possibly have and most certainly can not exist.... Because Honda has never told anyone that had complained about a product attribute that there "is no issue, not our problem". Oh wait, they have!

Like you I'm tall. Like would make sense; riders have different heights, different lengths of torso, and sit differently on the bike. I can change how the buffeting feels by sliding forwards and backwards in the seat. Sitting up straight or slouching. OR lean way down behind the screen like I did when I raced a sportbike. Oh wait, why the **** would one do that, buffeting or windblast can not effect anything! The stock seat tends to keep sliding me forwards (I'm sure someone here will say BS), hence where I end up sitting most of the time, and therefore I know EXACTLY how the wind is hitting me. I have most certainly felt negative affects for me in this spot on the bike and worked to address a more comfortable ride 'for me'. Now, I've added Rox Risers, that I love, and come to find out they have effected how the the windstream between the fairing and the mirrors is hitting my arms in buffeting wind of high density and high speed freeway traffic I experience on my rides. New task to address. I'm thinking of trying the fairing plastic deflectors to see if I can address this affect that 'I feel'. Not sure they'll help. Glad to hear that you feel a positive result in your case.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

When I was testing my wind deflectors yesterday I realised how difficult it is!
Firstly there is so much turbulence created by other traffic, especially on Motorways.
Secondly the bikes wind flow management only works for air flowing straight towards the bike. If its breezy, like it was yesterday no matter how many sponges you have stuffed up crevices or wings attached you will get buffeted. I found that in cross winds the ATAS with panniers and a lanky rider acts like a sail.
Get a still day or ride straight into the wind with no traffic if you are testing air flow mods.
I have e mailed Swagotech to see if he plans to do fork shields for the ATAS. In the meantime sponges inserted - also handy for a rub down when you get to the hotel.
Mcpembo and waldopepper66 like this.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee711 View Post
sorry guys - a duplicate post for some reason.
Mike

Last edited by mike5100; 04-24-2018 at 10:59 AM.
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
Mike
Agreed. I also drank the Kool-aid and installed one of these, but it did zilch. I think maybe placebo effect for others? I did a lot of experimenting at highway speeds and there is only minimal air coming from that open location - NOT enough to cause the turbulence and buffeting I was experiencing. There is much more coming from the sides. It hits your midsection then rushes up to your helmet. Combined with the force of air coming from over the top of the stock screen, and it's like someone's playing the drums on your head. I was able to completely solve wind issues by using a Givi Airflow windshield combined with my own custom wind deflectors. Ain't the prettiest setup, but I could give a rat's arse about that. Function over form. I can ride all day on the highway, even with a dual-sport/Adv helmet.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:40 PM

Garage
I should also add that I strongly suspect the Madstad bracket combined with their screen would work great, as well. Again, not one for the "pretty boys", though. I haven't tried it myself, but I did hear from someone that has this setup that it works very well. It looks like it would, too, because for one, it's wider, and because it can be adjusted to get air in from underneath. That's really the trick. To be large enough to provide adequate wind protection, yet have a way of letting air in to prevent negative pressure behind the screen. That's also how the Givi works. Oh, and what's really nice about the GIVI, is when its really hot, or when riding off-road, you can easily remove the upper portion without needing any tools. I was running a day-long, highway blast last summer in 95 degree heat and was dying. I took the upper screen off and I was amazed how smooth the air was.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Rugged Roads are working on a fork deflector for the ATAS. They say it will be in stock in one to two months.They sell one for the AT but it wont fit the ATAS. I e mailed Swagotech (USA) a couple of days ago to see if he is making one for the ATAS, no reply yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page