Who's riding (or thinking to start riding) with airbag protection? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rdy2retire

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Who's riding (or thinking to start riding) with airbag protection?

Hey all

It's Zak from Helite. I have been sending out little surveys to customers asking them about their own behaviors when it comes to the airbag vest or jacket they are wearing. It has yielded a lot of interesting feedback. A lot of misinformation unearthed, but moreso great info about the ways in which airbag safety can improve or what options should be available so that it's easier for riders to start adequately protecting themselves with it. For example, the kinds of questions I have been asking of our customers is how often they wear it, have they been in an accident with it, have they needed to replace a cartridge yet, do their passengers wear it when they ride, or do they ever take it to the track and/or the street?

I am interested in hearing from everyone in this case. I'd like to know if you ride with airbag protection, period. It doesn't have to be Helite.

And if you don't, are you waiting to finally pull the trigger? Do you think you will eventually start wearing airbag protection when you ride?

Let me know what you think!

[email protected]

www.RemusUSA.com

T.: 510-595-3300
F.: 510-595-3304
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:19 AM

Garage
Have one of your airbags. Wear it every day to commute to and from work. Never had a get-off while wearing it so no need to replace cartridge. Don't ride on the track though have done some dirt, but I don't wear the airbag there.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:17 AM

Iíve been riding in the UK with a Helite for about three and a half years. Covered more than 35,000 miles, road use only. I never ride without it except once when I took it back to the supplier for a 3 year service. I felt very vulnerable when riding home. Just like I do if Iím in a car with no seatbelts.
The only off I have had is while stationary at a tricky junction, my foot slipped on gravel . I landed on my back on the grass verge. I canít say the vest saved me on this occasion but I did land between a 2í wooden post and a low street sign which may have made a difference.
So the canister replaced once at the service and again after the off.
I don't carry a pillion.

Hope this helps

Adventure Before Dementia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Hey all

Just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone else has started riding with Helite airbag protection.

As well, please feel free to ask any questions if you're interested in motorcycle airbags. I still have some Adventure jackets in 3XL and 4XL of the older design on forum special for $615, shipping inside the US included. Hit me if any of you have any interest.

Thank you

[email protected]

www.RemusUSA.com

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 03:00 AM

I own a Helite turtle vest and wear it religiously. I have never faced the situation of it being deployed, fortunately. I have owned it a couple years or so, it's a high vis model. I would feel very uncomfortable and vulnerable w/o it. I like the versatility of the vest over the jacket as it is more adaptable to weather extremes and fits well over my Motoport gear.
REMUS USA likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 11:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REMUS USA View Post
Hey all

As well, please feel free to ask any questions if you're interested in motorcycle airbags.
I do have one question. I frequently store my Turtle by itself in my SW Motech side case when parked at work all day. It fits without crushing even though the back protector is a bit longer as the case interior. However, I'm concerned that stuffing say my Klim jacket in with the Helite would stress the bag material and potentially cause failure over time. Is this a legitimate concern?

Thanks!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Hi Adblock

The only time keeping the turtle vest stuffed in a fixed position is if it will stay in that condition for more than a few days. At that point the risk you run is simply creating creases in the bag. However, that is only a risk if you really cram it into a space and keep it there for days on end.

If it's simply fit into a tight space for a few hours this won't really have any effect.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

[email protected]

www.RemusUSA.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page