Heed Crash Bars and SW Motech skid plate - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Rooster
  • 1 Post By hit-man

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Red face Heed Crash Bars and SW Motech skid plate

As a former race car chassis fabricator and long time bike builder I always try not to reinvent the wheel. When I needed crash bars for my 2017 Africa Twin I looked at many pics of all the bars out there and made a educated decision which one looked right and gave me the best bang for the price. Hence i ended up with Heed crash bars. They arrived from Poland or some eastern European country that I may never have heard of, but hey, they are not from a mass production facility with no quality control in China.
They were packaged by some Psycho who's life must depend on them arriving with no damage. You are more likely to damage them unpacking them than if the box was dragged to the U.S behind a truck. I found the bars to not only be high quality, but thumbs up to the engineer who came up with the design. Very well thought out, easy to install and they provide protection everywhere I need. I further installed a SW Motech skid plate which I also felt gave me superior strength and coverage. The combination of both the Heed Bars and the Motech skid plate gave me full coverage. Note: The skid plate has to be notched on the lower left rear fastening point for the crash bars. I did it with a band saw and a 4" hand grinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
As a former race car chassis fabricator and long time bike builder I always try not to reinvent the wheel. When I needed crash bars for my 2017 Africa Twin I looked at many pics of all the bars out there and made a educated decision which one looked right and gave me the best bang for the price. Hence i ended up with Heed crash bars. They arrived from Poland or some eastern European country that I may never have heard of, but hey, they are not from a mass production facility with no quality control in China.
They were packaged by some Psycho who's life must depend on them arriving with no damage. You are more likely to damage them unpacking them than if the box was dragged to the U.S behind a truck. I found the bars to not only be high quality, but thumbs up to the engineer who came up with the design. Very well thought out, easy to install and they provide protection everywhere I need. I further installed a SW Motech skid plate which I also felt gave me superior strength and coverage. The combination of both the Heed Bars and the Motech skid plate gave me full coverage. Note: The skid plate has to be notched on the lower left rear fastening point for the crash bars. I did it with a band saw and a 4" hand grinder.
Hi Rooster any updates on the crash bars after 5 months of use & abuse, Im about to buy a set for my AT DCT & wondering how the Heed x are holding up?
Have you crash tested them yet
Do the bars create any servicing issues with access to air filters etc?
Would you buy them again or buy something different if you had to replace them?
Im a bit concerned about the bottom back right mount that is jammed in place with a bracket with only half holes slipping out under pressure

Last edited by Campbell Hay; 09-14-2018 at 05:09 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 01:53 PM

Garage
Hi Campbell Hay. I had a crash off road last weekend with my Heed bar equipped AT. The only damage was limited to the powder coat finish on the bars. Some 400 grip wet/dry sand paper and Rustoleum semi-gloss black has taken care of that too. The bars do have to be removed to take the body work off the bike, but this takes 20-30 minutes and is well worth the effort given the protection they provide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT Crash Bars Work.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	45181  
superfunkomatic likes this.

AT - Ready to see the world!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:03 PM

Do the Heed Crash Bars have to be removed for access to the fairing when servicing the air filter?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:46 PM

I have the Heed Bunker bars on my 2018 CRF1000A/D
The oil dip stick issue is a bit of a pain but still accessible.
I had a drop yesterday in the parking lot and she went down pretty hard on the right side. The Heeds held up pretty good other than powder coating and some moderate blistering of the tubing.
Broke a brake lever, cracked a hand guard and also some scraping on the rear foot peg corner, all in all it could of been worse I suppose.
The engine, fairing and plastics were all OK, no scratches or broken bits.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:21 PM

Good to hear, thanks!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit-man View Post
Hi Campbell Hay. I had a crash off road last weekend with my Heed bar equipped AT. The only damage was limited to the powder coat finish on the bars. Some 400 grip wet/dry sand paper and Rustoleum semi-gloss black has taken care of that too. The bars do have to be removed to take the body work off the bike, but this takes 20-30 minutes and is well worth the effort given the protection they provide.
Funny enough, you put DCT version of Heed Bunkers on a manual transmission Africa Twin... 😁

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page