OEM Panniers caution - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

OEM Panniers caution

I think this has been mentioned before but worth another post.

Yesterday I was struggling to get my pannier latched to the bike. I remembered what someone had posted so I lifted off the pannier to check.

The pannier has four fixing points. One at the bottom, two at the top that hang the pannier and a final latch that you operate to secure it in position.

The top two securing points on the pannier have U shaped rubbers that each have two 'pips' that retain them in position. I found that one of these rubbers had moved at some point and the pannier had been fixed with the rubber displaced. The closing force of the latch had squashed the out of place rubber but still achieved a closed latch.

Yesterday the mashed up rubber wouldn't allow the pannier to fit, well actually it would if I had used more force on the latch, but it didn't feel right.I removed the rubber and reformed it as best I could and refitted it. Pannier went on fine.

So if you have OEM panniers:
Remove, turn upside down and check the two fixing point rubbers are in good condition and the 'pips' fully engaged. When fitting if you feel too much resistance when you try and latch its likely one of the rubbers is displaced. Its also possible , as others have posted that you could lose one or both of these rubbers !
relz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 06:50 AM

Thank you for sharing. I'm looking at getting OEM panniers as they are pretty cheap compared to a full setup from the other, reputable manufacturers. Also, I figure Honda would have carefully designed them taking into account putting stress on a more vital component, like a mounting point or subframe in the event of a tip over or full on crash.

Does anyone have positive reviews of the OEM panniers? I've seen some issues on the forums regarding fit (as above) and damage to the locking system (whether induced by owners not knowing of the above problem, or because they are faulty). I'm curious to see if the issue is a factory (ie faulty component) or perhaps "pilot error".
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:05 AM

I always have a few spare.
Front and rear are different tho, just saying.

CRF1000 DCT
XS650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Yes as Shifty says the two rubbers are different shape. I think I should get some spares. Overall I think the panniers are OK. I ride with them fitted all the time as I like to be able to carry stuff if I need to. They are not 'expedition' quality for sure.

I think the trick is to fit them carefully and learn how much force is required on the latch. If at any time it seems to need a different force its likely something is amiss.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Fowlers in the UK stock these rubbers at £3 each inc VAT. So total of £12 for a full set. Look for the exploded pannier parts page on Fowlers website
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 11:17 AM

My replacement rhs pannier is going the same way as the one that was replaced under warranty. This one has been on and off only about 4 times since getting it. In my case I don't think it's anything to do with the rubbers. I checked them and the dealer checked them. We checked my pannier on other bikes - and it was still a loose fit. If it had just been rubbers I'm sure Honda wouldn't have replaced it. If somehow rubbers are distorting and causing the latching mechanism to fail, why only on the rhs pannier.
.... but I will go and take a close look at mine now with a magnifying glass
Mike
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 10:33 PM

I have also noticed some problems sometimes when attaching panniers to the bike. But since I started to treat those rubbers with silicon oil its much easier now. It also keeps those rubbers in a good condition.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
My replacement rhs pannier is going the same way as the one that was replaced under warranty. This one has been on and off only about 4 times since getting it. In my case I don't think it's anything to do with the rubbers. I checked them and the dealer checked them. We checked my pannier on other bikes - and it was still a loose fit. If it had just been rubbers I'm sure Honda wouldn't have replaced it. If somehow rubbers are distorting and causing the latching mechanism to fail, why only on the rhs pannier.
.... but I will go and take a close look at mine now with a magnifying glass
Mike
Well bu99er me - one rubber is missing and the other is distorted. Thanks for the link Kev. I will get some ordered now.
Mike
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

I think Arguz is right about lubricating the rubbers. It cant do any harm to apply a little grease to the rubbers so that the cases slide on easy without distorting the rubbers. Also when the case is lifted off the rubbers are less likely to be dragged from their housing. I know that you can get special grease for rubber (Rugged Roads sell it) and I think Silicone grease is OK, ie dosnt degrade the rubber.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 12:15 PM

The annoying thing is that the only times the pannier has been removed from the bike is in my garage, so surely the rubber must be somewhere in there, but there's no sign of it.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page